VAN HALEN is...

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 1 2009, 06:32 PM)
...the greatest American rock band ever.

Hell Yeah..................no one is even close

1022.gif

I haven't heard every American band but I'd put Van Halen at the top.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 1 2009, 07:32 PM)
...the greatest American rock band ever.

Yeah, but Rush is the best band of all time...all time.

Yep..I'm in agreement on this one.

As I was heading out of the Pearl Jam concert on Friday night, I turned to my 15 year old son, and I said, "That concert was awesome. That crowd was one of the best concert crowds I've seen in some time."

He said, "Yeah, but Dad, remember the Van Halen concert last year? The building was shaking. I thought the arena was going to collapse. Nothing tops Van Halen!"

That's my boy...

QUOTE (Natch @ Nov 2 2009, 09:50 AM)
Yep..I'm in agreement on this one.

As I was heading out of the Pearl Jam concert on Friday night, I turned to my 15 year old son, and I said, "That concert was awesome. That crowd was one of the best concert crowds I've seen in some time."

He said, "Yeah, but Dad, remember the Van Halen concert last year? The building was shaking. I thought the arena was going to collapse. Nothing tops Van Halen!"

That's my boy...

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I didn't see the reunion tour, but saw Diver Down and 1984 tours - and I remember the building shaking. I remember the crowd being worked up into a total frenzy. They are so f'ing good on stage.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 2 2009, 10:29 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Nov 2 2009, 09:02 AM)
To me, Van Halen begins and ends with David Lee Roth as singer.

no.gif

ph34r.gif

I like Sammy's contributions quite a bit, too. They wrote some great material with him.

Just curious where you would rank them overall ? I love Van Halen, but the fact they are the greatest American band ever says we don't have enough great American bands to talk about do we ?

Now if were talking the hottest band in the world, that would be Kiss. Just ask Gene. wink.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Nov 2 2009, 09:33 AM)

no.gif

ph34r.gif

I like Sammy's contributions quite a bit, too. They wrote some great material with him.

They also wrote some real shitty pop love songs also . Dave was cool, Sammy was a nerd

QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 2 2009, 10:17 AM)

no.gif

ph34r.gif

They also wrote some real shitty pop love songs also .

There is no arguing it...he did.

But to try and pretend like Sammy did no good while he was with VH would be a stupid thing to say.

The guy is a great songwriter, and he had them singing some more serious tunes as well, which I enjoyed personally. Obviously, 5150 was a great album, and is probably the most highly-regarded album of the Van-Hagar era.

But look at OU812 and For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge...I think those two albums are really strong, probably my personal fav's from Sammy's time. So many good songs on both albums IMO.

I know that Roth will always be the favourite, and that's cool. I think the greatest VH album is the debut, and I don't think any of Sammy's albums even come close to touching that one.

But with that said, Sammy did a lot of good for the band, and I like what he brought to the band personally. He was a fine replacement to take over from Roth. The fact that people think he did nothing good with the band just blows my mind. eh.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 2 2009, 10:27 AM)

no.gif

ph34r.gif

But to try and pretend like Sammy did no good while he was with VH would be a stupid thing to say.

The guy is a great songwriter, and he had them singing some more serious tunes as well, which I enjoyed personally. Obviously, 5150 was a great album, and is probably the most highly-regarded album of the Van-Hagar era.

But look at OU812 and For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge...I think those two albums are really strong, probably my personal fav's from Sammy's time. So many good songs on both albums IMO.

I know that Roth will always be the favourite, and that's cool. I think the greatest VH album is the debut, and I don't think any of Sammy's albums even come close to touching that one.

But with that said, Sammy did a lot of good for the band, and I like what he brought to the band personally. He was a fine replacement to take over from Roth. The fact that people think he did nothing good with the band just blows my mind. eh.gif

I hear what you are saying but he changed the sound of the band .That is not Van Halen . I would never say he did nothing for the band, 4 # 1 albums . What he did do the whole time he was with the band was act like they did not have 6 albums before him. i have seen many Sammy/Halen shows and outside a 2 or 3 songs it was all the stuff he sang on. That is complete bullshit if you ask any old school V.H. fan . They did more Sammy solo songs than old Van Halen songs. I still listen to 5150 and OU812 once and a while and they are very good but you can not put them in the same sentence with Fair Warning , Women and Children First ya know ?

If we exclude Balance and VH3, I think the original statement holds true.

But I cannot ignore the extreme level of suck that Balance brought us. And VH3 was just an abortion on display. I know that's strong language, but it was just a truly pitiful effort that made VH fans everywhere go wtf.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Nov 2 2009, 11:08 AM)

But I cannot ignore the extreme level of suck that Balance brought us. And VH3 was just an abortion on display. I know that's strong language, but it was just a truly pitiful effort that made VH fans everywhere go wtf.gif

Did ya forget F.U.C.K ? 2 songs tops on that one for me

QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 2 2009, 10:45 AM)

no.gif

ph34r.gif

I hear what you are saying but he changed the sound of the band .That is not Van Halen . I would never say he did nothing for the band, 4 # 1 albums . What he did do the whole time he was with the band was act like they did not have 6 albums before him. i have seen many Sammy/Halen shows and outside a 2 or 3 songs it was all the stuff he sang on. That is complete bullshit if you ask any old school V.H. fan . They did more Sammy solo songs than old Van Halen songs. I still listen to 5150 and OU812 once and a while and they are very good but you can not put them in the same sentence with Fair Warning , Women and Children First ya know ?

Oh absolutely, I'm with you completely on that MD.

That is stupid. A band with as many 5-star songs as they had on the Roth records, it is absolutely idiotic that they would leave them out of the concerts. I know you've seen them many times over the years. For me, I only got to see my first VH concerts within the last few years (2004 with Sammy and 2007 with Dave), and you're right, even on that Sammy tour, they only played 3 Dave-songs, I think. Duuuuumb.

But seriously, I don't think that Sammy can be the sole man to blame for that direction. I can't imagine that Sammy had THAT much pull on how the band was run...afterall, it is well documented that the VH brothers tend to run the show in the end. I think VH's track-record in terms of egos, speaks for itself. eyesre4.gif

Again, I'm with you on the concept of what they became. They were definitely a different band, no doubt. But I'm just saying that, to me, the songs were still exceptional and strong, even if they were different.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 2 2009, 12:46 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 2 2009, 10:45 AM)

no.gif

ph34r.gif

Oh absolutely, I'm with you completely on that MD.

That is stupid. A band with as many 5-star songs as they had on the Roth records, it is absolutely idiotic that they would leave them out of the concerts. I know you've seen them many times over the years. For me, I only got to see my first VH concerts within the last few years (2004 with Sammy and 2007 with Dave), and you're right, even on that Sammy tour, they only played 3 Dave-songs, I think. Duuuuumb.

But seriously, I don't think that Sammy can be the sole man to blame for that direction. I can't imagine that Sammy had THAT much pull on how the band was run...afterall, it is well documented that the VH brothers tend to run the show in the end. I think VH's track-record in terms of egos, speaks for itself. eyesre4.gif

Again, I'm with you on the concept of what they became. They were definitely a different band, no doubt. But I'm just saying that, to me, the songs were still exceptional and strong, even if they were different.

Right on

trink39.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 2 2009, 12:40 PM)

But I cannot ignore the extreme level of suck that Balance brought us.  And VH3 was just an abortion on display.  I know that's strong language, but it was just a truly pitiful effort that made VH fans everywhere go wtf.gif

I dunno...I think there are quite a few solid offerings on F.U.C.K.

Judgement Day, Runaround, Pleasure Dome, and The Dream Is Over are all fantastic tracks IMO.

Right Now and Top Of The World served as great singles, and 316 is a nice little diddy from Eddie. I never did see what people saw in the song 'Poundcake' though... wacko.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 2 2009, 12:51 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 2 2009, 12:40 PM)

But I cannot ignore the extreme level of suck that Balance brought us.  And VH3 was just an abortion on display.  I know that's strong language, but it was just a truly pitiful effort that made VH fans everywhere go wtf.gif

I dunno...I think there are quite a few solid offerings on F.U.C.K.

Judgement Day, Runaround, Pleasure Dome, and The Dream Is Over are all fantastic tracks IMO.

Right Now and Top Of The World served as great singles, and 316 is a nice little diddy from Eddie. I never did see what people saw in the song 'Poundcake' though... wacko.gif

Judgment Day and Pleasure Dome were the 2 songs i was talking about laugh.gif . 316 is cool but i heard Ed do it on a few tours before that album came out so it was no biggie for me