What Musical KICK are you currently ON?

moltenlava

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Feb 18 2009, 05:14 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 18 2009, 05:15 PM)
QUOTE (Cygnalschick @ Feb 17 2009, 06:56 PM)
Been listening to the new Cynic album "Tracing the Air". Interesting stuff  biggrin.gif

killer shit , been listening to them for a long time . sean is a master drummer.......imo

1022.gif

You try the Aghora at all, mate?

Not yet, but all I have to do is ask a friend to make me a copy. I'll get right on that! tongue.gif

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Cygnalschick @ Feb 19 2009, 05:00 PM)
I've also been listening to old Allan Holdsworth. That man can shred!

yes.gif and years ago he was almost homeless. really . he had nothing and E.V.H. got him a deal . i have no idea what he is doing now. i hope something

1022.gif

One of my students burned me Francis the Mute - Mars Volta some time ago. Never gave it much of a listen, but I've been playing it a lot lately. I love it musically. There's great musicianship. I like the lyrics , too...some even in Spanish!

The vocals are growing on me...

QUOTE (goose @ Feb 26 2009, 05:05 PM)
One of my students burned me Francis the Mute - Mars Volta some time ago. Never gave it much of a listen, but I've been playing it a lot lately. I love it musically. There's great musicianship. I like the lyrics , too...some even in Spanish!

Ya need a bunch of time to give to Frances. She requires a lot outta the listener. I think from, like, the 6th or 7th track onwards pretty much plays as one continuous track. Or, at least, it's best if heard this way.

I remember bringing this disc to the gym one day, shortly after the album came out. And, I asked one of the trainers to put it on the gym's system. Funny things ensued. Everyone was like, "What, son?"

In retro, I plainly see that TMV is not any kind of band to play at the gym. lol. The trainer handed it back to me and was like, "Son, what?" He said that a few people complained about the choice. Ahahahaha.

Their debut album, and their fourth release, the most recent one, those are the most accessible. And, still, I now know better than to ever bring that schitt to the gym ever again.

What kick am I currently on? If it's heavy, progressive, a tad avant garde, and miles away from the mainstream, I'm on it.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Feb 26 2009, 10:41 PM)
QUOTE (goose @ Feb 26 2009, 05:05 PM)
One of my students burned me Francis the Mute - Mars Volta some time ago. Never gave it much of a listen, but I've been playing it a lot lately.  I love it musically.  There's great musicianship.  I like the lyrics , too...some even in Spanish!

Ya need a bunch of time to give to Frances. She requires a lot outta the listener. I think from, like, the 6th or 7th track onwards pretty much plays as one continuous track. Or, at least, it's best if heard this way.

I remember bringing this disc to the gym one day, shortly after the album came out. And, I asked one of the trainers to put it on the gym's system. Funny things ensued. Everyone was like, "What, son?"

In retro, I plainly see that TMV is not any kind of band to play at the gym. lol. The trainer handed it back to me and was like, "Son, what?" He said that a few people complained about the choice. Ahahahaha.

Their debut album, and their fourth release, the most recent one, those are the most accessible. And, still, I now know better than to ever bring that schitt to the gym ever again.

What kick am I currently on? If it's heavy, progressive, a tad avant garde, and miles away from the mainstream, I'm on it.

I've been listening to it on long road trips, playing it all the way through. Very much like a Floyd or Yes album in that sense. Edgier music, though. I like it more with each listen.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (goose @ Feb 26 2009, 11:06 PM)
I've been listening to it on long road trips, playing it all the way through. Very much like a Floyd or Yes album in that sense. Edgier music, though. I like it more with each listen.

trink39.gif

I bumped into an acquaintance of mine in a CD store, maybe a few months after the album's release. He told me that he had seen the disc on display, took a chance and purchased the recording entirely because when he turned the CD around he saw that the song titles were broken down into different alphabetical sub-sections, a la YES of yesteryear. He believed that he was in store for something very similar to YES' music.

Ahahaha. This is a very 'oldschool' chap, not the type of person to sway much in what he finds acceptable to himself and those extremely close-minded ear canals and brain of his. Didn't even bother listening to the entire thing even once through...But, the more I speak to folks, I discover that he's pretty much in step with the 'norm', and, it's me who's the anomaly. Most folks 35 and over are completely set in their ways, with very little wiggle room for personal growth when it comes to their beliefs or the things they look towards for entertainment. It's rather sad.

I wonder if the cat was given a few tokes of Mary Jane and a shot or two of 100 proof anything, left alone with the album for a few more run throughs, whether he'd loosen up his tightasz outlook and standards and discover any quality, any substance in that TMV release.

top songs on my playlist right now are;

Neon Knight - Black Sabbath

Heaven and Hell - Black Sabbath

Do Anything you Want to - Thin Lizzy

Chinatown - Thin Lizzy

Bad Reputation - Thin Lizzy

Cry for Everyone - Gentle Giant

Sacrifice - Motorhead

Caravan - Rush

How it is - Rush

Flirtin with Disaster - Molly Hatchet

Lights out - UFO

It's Showtime - David Lee Roth

Armed and Ready - Michael Schenker Group

Woderous Stories - Yes

Yours is no Disgrace - Yes

Forever - Y&T

In for the Kill- Budgie

Guts - Budgie

Headhunter - Accept

Dogs - Pink Floyd

Stranglehold - Ted Nugent

I would say pop-punk, but all I'm listening to is blink-182 and their side projects, mainly Box Car Racer and +44, instead of every other pop-punk band out there. I'm also listening to electronic stuff, whether it's something with an element of electronics (blink's self-titled album, +44's sole record, Panic! At the Disco's debut album) or stuff that's flat-out electronic (Radiohead, Depeche Mode, How to Destroy Angels).

Archived