What Musical KICK are you currently ON?

moltenlava

Folks usually have a stockpile of music that they ALWAYS listen to (the standards)....And, then there's the stuff that they've only recently discovered. Since it's fresh, it's inspiring. These new finds get you all amped up and completely reaffirm your faith in music as an art form. This new stuff (which may be old stuff) is going through a trial period with you. It MAY or MAY NOT get adopted into the soundtrack to your life. It all depends on the intangibles....What musical kick are you currently on? Name an artist or two (or even a whole genre) that has got you really pumped at the moment....Will it be a fad or a keeper?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
priest , sabbath w/ dio and the allman brothers

Paul Gilbert's solo career.

About 2 years ago me and my friend couldn't get enough of this stuff, great Power Pop with great solos and one of the best senses of humour in music. Eventually I guess we just moved on.

Well the other day for no apparant reason I broke out Space Ship One and as soon as it was finished I found I had the urge to listen to all his albums. I'm not really a fan of his latest two which have been completely instrumental but the guy's a genius.

I'm currently on two KICKS at the moment. Thrash Metal and Obscure 70's Prog. My Metal tastes were simple in the past. Real superficial sampling of the history of the genre. Now, I'm knee deep in bands like Testament, Exodus, Overkill, Megadeth, Onslaught, etc. So many quality recordings that were overlooked. Plus, all the new stuff which is like a Power/Thrash hybrid. If you're like the average person, and all you know is a little Metallica or Anthrax, you definitely need to be delving a little deeper into the genre. So much great stuff.

There's also plenty of great Progressive Rock albums which were delivered by bands who were less than spectacular. Some of these groups had only one or two albums, couldn't mount enough fan support and financial backing and got out of the game. But, they left behind those one or two phenomenal gems that I would easily put up against the early works of Yes, Genesis and Jethro Tull. Some of my favourites right now are Asgard's In The Realm of Asgard, Wishbone Ash's Argus, Spring's self-titled release, Gnindrolog's Lady Lake, Gentle Giant's The Power and the Glory and Glass House, Renaissance's Ashes are Burning and Turn of the Cards, Curved Air's Second Album and Phantasmagoria....to name a few.

Currently I'm on a serious jazz kick; particularly bebop guitar tunes and anything Miles Davis are tickling my fancy.

All I can say is that Joe Pass is an unfathomable genius. I can see where someone could think it's just endless noodling but after seeing some teaching clips of his I know that he knows exactly where he's going and is unbelievably creative with a line.

If anyone else is into jazz check out his duets with Nils-Henning Orsted Penning (on bass) on youtube...jaw dropping.

I recently bought a turntable that plugs into my computer so Ive been ripping some of my old vinyl:

Nektar "Remember the Future"

Steve Hackett "Voyage Of The Acolyte

Jon Anderson "Olias Of Sunhillow

F.M. "City Of Fear"

Just to name a few. It's been cool to finally listen to these on my CD player.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Aug 11 2008, 04:57 PM)
Currently I'm on a serious jazz kick; particularly bebop guitar tunes and anything Miles Davis are tickling my fancy.

Don't know anything by Joe Pass. Only know a very few Jazz titles which are guitar based. And, most of those are Fusion. But, for traditional Jazz guitar, ya can't beat something like Midnight Blue by Kenny Burrell, also most of Wes Montgomery's stuff. Really like George Benson's style and his recordings prior to selling out to the disco/mainstream. Albums like Body Talk and Bad Benson are some of the most fluid guitar playing that I've ever heard. Really impressive....I remember now that I was meaning to get on a Roland Kirk kick, but it never manifested. lol.

QUOTE (moltenlava @ Aug 11 2008, 05:13 PM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Aug 11 2008, 04:57 PM)

Don't know anything by Joe Pass. Only know a very few Jazz titles which are guitar based. And, most of those are Fusion. But, for traditional Jazz guitar, ya can't beat something like Midnight Blue by Kenny Burrell, also most of Wes Montgomery's stuff. Really like George Benson's style and his recordings prior to selling out to the disco/mainstream. Albums like Body Talk and Bad Benson are some of the most fluid guitar playing that I've ever heard. Really impressive....I remember now that I was meaning to get on a Roland Kirk kick, but it never manifested. lol.

Here's some Joe & Nils shredding: Donna Lee

There's tons of players I've not got into yet, thanks for the tips.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Aug 11 2008, 05:02 PM)
Bonded by Blood is now "the scary baby record" to my daughter.

laugh.gif laugh.gif

Right now I am addicted to Porcupine Tree. 1022.gif trink38.gif

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Aug 11 2008, 01:28 PM)
Paul Gilbert's solo career.

About 2 years ago me and my friend couldn't get enough of this stuff, great Power Pop with great solos and one of the best senses of humour in music. Eventually I guess we just moved on.

Well the other day for no apparant reason I broke out Space Ship One and as soon as it was finished I found I had the urge to listen to all his albums. I'm not really a fan of his latest two which have been completely instrumental but the guy's a genius.

I was on a Paul Gilbert kick not too long ago myself.

such an amazing musician notworthy.gif

"but spaceship one just rules. ohhhhhohhhhohhhh" 653.gif

QUOTE (moltenlava @ Aug 11 2008, 04:46 PM)
There's also plenty of great Progressive Rock albums which were delivered by bands who were less than spectacular. Some of these groups had only one or two albums, couldn't mount enough fan support and financial backing and got out of the game. But, they left behind those one or two phenomenal gems that I would easily put up against the early works of Yes, Genesis and Jethro Tull. Some of my favourites right now are Asgard's In The Realm of Asgard, Wishbone Ash's Argus, Spring's self-titled release, Gnindrolog's Lady Lake, Gentle Giant's The Power and the Glory and Glass House, Renaissance's Ashes are Burning and Turn of the Cards, Curved Air's Second Album and Phantasmagoria....to name a few.

I love Renaissance! Annie Haslam's voice is amazing! Jon Camp is Squire Junior, too.

Those are probably my two favorite albums by them; good picks! I've got four of their albums on CD, including the two-volume retrospective, and two albums on vinyl.

My current kick? Over the years, even while Rush remained my favorite band, I went through a punk phase, a folk phase, a jazz phase, and times when other artists challenged Rush for "favorite" - artists like Jaco Pastorius, R.E.M., and Led Zeppelin.

Right now the only "kick" I'm on is... I've really been loving U2's "The Unforgettable Fire"! Not a technically challenging record or even an "upbeat" record, but it sets such a mood. There's a lot of feel on that album and it's such a work of art!

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Aug 11 2008, 10:09 PM)
huge yes kick recently

yes.gif They come in waves for me. Last winter, I was listening heavily to them again. Now, not so much. But it'll change again!

Archived