rush to be on the colbert report???

rushfr:CP

QUOTE (New World Kid @ Jul 17 2008, 06:01 AM)
The cut off was intentional, the band knew about it. There was just enough time between where the song left off before the break and where the song picked up after the break for Stephen to get behind his desk to do the next bit. It was planned.

And for the love of god, will everyone please calm down about it. Here the Colbert Report is nice enough to throw so many tributes to Rush into a show, and all our fan base can do is complain. TCR isn't classless, but I know some fans who are.

goodpost.gif

...me and my friend who's a non-rush fan, sat and watched it, and he said the expression on my face when they went into commercial break was priceless.

by the time they came back from the break i kinda got the hint that there was some form of a gag going on, and we still got to hear about 95 percent of the song in total...and already my jaw was dropped at the awesomeness of the performance (and the SOUND!)

so overall, i'd say that was a great way to have Rush back on TV for the first time in 30+ years! I bet they agreed to DO it just for that little twist at the end!

Rush just made Colbert a legend -- tongue.gif

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (tick @ Jul 17 2008, 06:58 AM)
If your not outraged that Rush was cut off, I cant understand why ? These Guys are legend, have not done American TV in 30+ years and this the respect they get ? What total crap. When he walked out on the set at the climax of the song, I was like. "Get the f**k off the set asshole, what are you stupid ?" Im sorry but if it was Pink Floyd, The Who, U2, The Stones, etc, that sure as hell would not have happened. Its to bad they did not choose to perform on a show with some class. They did not deserve Rush. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif I'll bet the shows producer, who loves the band is mortified after that. yes.gif

Yeah...I would have liked to have seen it "uncut"...but that's television...got get those sponsors in...bullshit.

QUOTE (tick @ Jul 17 2008, 05:58 AM)
If your not outraged that Rush was cut off, I cant understand why ? These Guys are legend, have not done American TV in 30+ years and this the respect they get ? What total crap. When he walked out on the set at the climax of the song, I was like. "Get the f**k off the set asshole, what are you stupid ?" Im sorry but if it was Pink Floyd, The Who, U2, The Stones, etc, that sure as hell would not have happened. Its to bad they did not choose to perform on a show with some class. They did not deserve Rush. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif I'll bet the shows producer, who loves the band is mortified after that. yes.gif

The interruptions were obviously planned jokes referencing how long their songs are. I thought the whole episode was hilarious, including the parts where he jumped in, cut to commercial, and went to sleep at the end.

No offense, but you guys complaining about it are making Rush fans look like idiots.

At the risk of making myself a pariah, I thought Colbert's interrupting the song was hilarious! In case you're humor-impaired, the joke was that Colbert was playing it as if he thought the song was over. It was great comedy. Period.

All of you who are complaining about it need more fiber in your diet or something. Studies show that people who laugh more live longer. Please try it.

QUOTE (PanaceaFish @ Jul 16 2008, 11:44 PM)
AW WOW!! That was SO cool!!

I really loved the whole interview, and it was plain to see that the fellas were having a good time, even when TS got cut...At first I was dissapointed, and I too, yelled at the TV, but now after reading these posts, I can see how it could've been planned, I mean, the guys were smiling throughout the entire song, so that was ok, I guess...

I still taped it anyway, even if it is on VHS...My sister might've taped it on DVD, I dunno, I'll have to ask her..

Shite, I'm sure I'll be watching the repeats tomorrow too...

Yeah, I talked with RockTheCradle, my wife, afterwards and we concluded the cutoff was a joke reference to the typical length of Rush songs.

As I've thought about it this morning, I'm even more convinced it was a genius, planned gag, reminding me of a combination between something Andy Kaufman would have concocted and your standard April Fool's joke.

Very awesome show - they got fantastic exposure and lots of love on The Colbert Report. Let's hope this carries forward somehow.

QUOTE (maxdistortion @ Jul 17 2008, 06:17 AM)

Rush just made Colbert a legend -- tongue.gif

Cygnus said this last night and I agree. I think they'll both get a bump out of this.

And as for the sound mix, it was great - clean, crisp and right on; Mini-Neil was spinnin', the Barbies were yellin'; Neil did exceptionally well for one of his few television appearances in the last 11 years - and even cracked one of the best jokes of the night with the eBay comment. It was perfect, y'all! Really!

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jul 17 2008, 07:48 AM)
At the risk of making myself a pariah, I thought Colbert's interrupting the song was hilarious! In case you're humor-impaired, the joke was that Colbert was playing it as if he thought the song was over. It was great comedy. Period.

All of you who are complaining about it need more fiber in your diet or something. Studies show that people who laugh more live longer. Please try it.

In all due respect Jack, I believe I have a bit of a sence of humor and I get the punchline. I guess if Rush was a mainstay on American TV through the years I would see the humor in it. I just thought this moment deserved more. Everyone will have there own take on it, but to me, not funny, not cool. Maybe im just too big a fan and just cant see straight, who knows. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jul 17 2008, 11:48 AM)

It may or may not have been a joke. But it wasn't that funny, not funny enough so that it's worth interrupting Rush.

You just don't interrupt Rush, man!

tongue.gif

As for a huge fan (as we all are) I thought it was great and exciting to see them on TV...they kicked ass and took names and the little interview was an added bonus. When Colbert walked out in the middle of the song, you could see the little smirk on Ged's & Alex's face and they were loving it too...sort of like the hot chicks coming out to baste the chickens.

I thought it was great....even woke up my 10 yr old son at 11:50 to watch it!

I have to agree with this and it looked to me like the band knew he was going to do it. We know the boys have a sense of humor. I thought the whole show was awesome and I thought the band came off looking great and they sounded tight. I really enjoyed it.

I have seen David Letterman bring on a band with almost no time left and have them playing during the credits and only seeing half the song or less. I don't feel shorted at all because of the cut off last night. Props to the Colbert for having them on. It has been far to long. yes.gif

I thought the "Neil, would you say you have a drum dependency?" part was funny!

"This is an intervention. . . our goal is to get you down to a snare drum and maybe a triangle." rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Jul 17 2008, 08:36 AM)
I know its up on youtube but I just checked my tv schedule and it lists that the show will be shown again this morning at 10:30, this afternoon at 2:30 and this evening at 8:30. EST.

2.gif

I'll be home for the 8:30 showing then. Is it Comedy Central?

The show was awesome! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I thoroughly enjoyed that! I just wish Colbert hadn't of run out during that drum fill...that's my favorite part of Tom Sawyer! Any other part of the song would have been better. It was still funny though.

I laughed my ass off when the guys autographed Stephen's hand and then Neil said "I better not see that on Ebay". laugh.gif

Another great line. "And we have Rush playing here tonight...that or we had a drum factory blow up on our set".

QUOTE (FuzzplugJones @ Jul 16 2008, 10:24 PM)
Well, if I stick around much longer, someone will surely think I need to calm down! Cheers to Rush for doing this, let's hope it's simply a springboard to better opportunities.

applaudit.gif

QUOTE (maxdistortion @ Jul 17 2008, 07:17 AM)

by the time they came back from the break i kinda got the hint that there was some form of a gag going on, and we still got to hear about 95 percent of the song in total...and already my jaw was dropped at the awesomeness of the performance (and the SOUND!)

I thought the sound was pretty damn good, albeit it was on my little 25" TV and not the surround sound.

z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif

It was so obvious to me that the entire thing was planned. Colbert's show is very structured.

And am I imagining it or did SC seemed to hardly be able to contain himself at certain moments. Meh, maybe it was just me. unsure.gif

Nonetheless, it was great!

edit: The joke about the length of their songs and possibly influencing themselves by the end of one totally cracked me up.

Yeah, you have to appreciate the irony. This was the first time they had made a t.v. appearance in a long time, and the song gets interrupted by a commercial break! laugh.gif I did like the comment about the epic song influence. All in all, it went pretty well.

I was pissed that my DVR cut off exactly at midnight, right prior to the stocking cap & pillow part, although I was watching it at the time anyway. Thankfully, it was on again at 1:30am and I recorded that one + 5 minutes extra.

Now that Ive watched it twice, I think I appreciate it more. How great it was to see the three of them sitting there (in their 'proper' positions, I might add! lol) and my first thoughts upon seeing Neil was a.) He is smiling! and b.) Why is he wearing his 'African prayer cap' tongue.gif Then of course, the realization - Oh right, because he will be playing the drums and he might sweat and the sweat might get in his eyes eyesre4.gif.

But it was funny as hell. The smirk on Geddy's face as the show fades out, with Colbert 'sleeping' as Geddy is playing the keys was pretty funny... All in all, a great Rush event!

Archived