rush to be on the colbert report???

rushfr:CP

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jul 17 2008, 12:04 AM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 17 2008, 12:01 AM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jul 16 2008, 11:58 PM)
Over at the Colbert Repor message board they're catching some flak for interrupting the song and cutting to commercial regardless if it was a joke or not.

In the next couple of days a mod on that board was at the taping and will give a breakdown from behind the scenes so maybe we'll find out a little more if the boys were in on the joke.

think about it. They had just finished the solo section of Tom Sawyer when the song was cut. The commercial break last about 2.5-3 minutes. The song would have been over if they really continued to play throughout the commercial.

This is all taped in advanced, of course the boy's were in on the joke.

Oh yeah, I'm sure they were but there are plenty of people who are still irritated nonetheless. I think the inside scoop will be interesting reading anyway.

It was planned that way obviously,Colbert made the comment during the interview about how long there songs are. At the end of one of those big epic Rush songs, Did you ever get influence from yourself?( something like that) laugh.gif

Wonderful show glad they chose the report to make this rare once in a life time tv appearance. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Thanks, Queen of Megadon!

I'm glad there's a group I can use as a soundboard. My husband is sorta surprised at how deep I am into them after one simple show, so I've already talked his ear off. But really, I've learned so much more about myself through their music. What really matters to us all. And that "In The End" is such a kick-a$$ stripper song! Only one complaint: I love to cook, and their music, in general, isn't conducive to cooking. Guess I'll have to change the menu, right? smile.gif

RE: the Colbert Report - I think the guys are well aware that their songs are not commercial-break formatted, so they were in on the "joke", if there was one. But to me, it did look like Colbert himself was a bit uncomfortable when he tried to break for commercial - like he was told to try to pause their performance or something. The nightcap/pillow thing sorta smoothed it out at the end, though.

@people bitching about the band being cut off; quit being such fanboys. it's tv, i would bet the contents of my bank account that it was all scripted, and that the boys were cool with it. i thought it was great to see them on air. the whole "they'll finish up eventually" gag is probably a joke referencing their epics (2112, hemispheres etc).

QUOTE (Yes to Yes... @ Jul 17 2008, 01:38 AM)
And that "In The End" is such a kick-a$$ stripper song! 

omg  hmm  now there's something I never thought of  Rush and a gyrating lady wow! what a concept...I think I'm falling in love, just please don't tell.....aww hell nevermind!

Only one complaint: I love to cook, and their music, in general, isn't conducive to cooking.  Guess I'll have to change the menu, right?  smile.gif

ummmm can you dance and cook? don't worry about the food if you can do both at the same time.

drool1.gif drool1.gif drool1.gif

It was funny! And it was pretty much what I expected it to be - Rush having fun and not taking themselves too seriously. It wasn't classic television but it was certainly fun television.

Oh yeah, in regard all the "Pert-Peert" criticisms. Personally, I still catch myself saying "Pert". It's a hard habit to break and Neil himself doesn't seem to mind! tongue.gif

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jul 17 2008, 01:50 AM)
@people bitching about the band being cut off; quit being such fanboys.  it's tv, i would bet the contents of my bank account that it was all scripted, and that the boys were cool with it.  i thought it was great to see them on air.  the whole "they'll finish up eventually" gag is probably a joke referencing their epics (2112, hemispheres etc).

I agree. It was obviously a joke.

They should have played "Hemispheres" in the background throughout the entire show. Now that would've been hilarious!

QUOTE (Plus_ca_change @ Jul 17 2008, 12:50 AM)

omg  hmm  now there's something I never thought of  Rush and a gyrating lady wow! what a concept...I think I'm falling in love, just please don't tell.....aww hell nevermind!

Only one complaint: I love to cook, and their music, in general, isn't conducive to cooking.  Guess I'll have to change the menu, right?  smile.gif

ummmm can you dance and cook? don't worry about the food if you can do both at the same time.

unsure.gif

I'm watching it right now!

pretty light so far, there about to play....

Tom Sawyer, imagine that. laugh.gif

2.gif

1022.gif

4 Days!!!!

edit -that was weird... got to go back a read this thread.

ummm... note to S. Colbert - don't try to stop a song to go to commercial.

QUOTE (PanaceaFish @ Jul 17 2008, 12:58 AM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jul 17 2008, 01:57 AM)
"you have yet to be inducted into the hall of fame...is there any chance your next album will be called 'that's bullshit'?"

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

OMG, that was SO funny, I'm still laughing aboot it!!!

Best question of interview!

Is he saying Tom Sawyer is a long song? laugh.gif

QUOTE (Inthend @ Jul 17 2008, 02:03 AM)
QUOTE (PanaceaFish @ Jul 17 2008, 12:58 AM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jul 17 2008, 01:57 AM)
"you have yet to be inducted into the hall of fame...is there any chance your next album will be called 'that's bullshit'?"

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

OMG, that was SO funny, I'm still laughing aboot it!!!

Best question of interview!

Is he saying Tom Sawyer is a long song? laugh.gif

read my earlier post. they were most likely lightheartedly poking fun at the old 20 minute epics.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 17 2008, 12:55 AM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jul 17 2008, 01:50 AM)
@people bitching about the band being cut off; quit being such fanboys.  it's tv, i would bet the contents of my bank account that it was all scripted, and that the boys were cool with it.  i thought it was great to see them on air.  the whole "they'll finish up eventually" gag is probably a joke referencing their epics (2112, hemispheres etc).

I agree. I was obviously a joke.

They should have played "Hemispheres" in the background throughout the entire show. Now that would've been hilarious!

Man,Some Rush fans can be over sensitive and defensive.

youtube same outrage eyesre4.gif

It wouldn't suprise me if Colbert addresses the controversy tomorrow night. He loves this stuff more topics to discuss! tongue.gif

QUOTE (Inthend @ Jul 17 2008, 12:56 AM)
QUOTE (Plus_ca_change @ Jul 17 2008, 12:50 AM)

unsure.gif

I'm watching it right now!

pretty light so far, there about to play....

Tom Sawyer, imagine that. laugh.gif

2.gif

1022.gif

4 Days!!!!

edit -that was weird... got to go back a read this thread.

ummm... note to S. Colbert - don't try to stop a song to go to commercial.

I don't dance, just the cooking part! The first time I heard "In The End", I couldn't help but think that it's got such a deep, rhythmic beat for a stripper - that's all. Probably my fave song from Fly By Night. (listen to me, like I know everything about RUSH confused13.gif ) I usually listen to jazz/blues while I'm in the kitchen (Buddy Guy, Sharon Jones, Latin jazz music) But if I could dance... wink.gif

RE: The Colbert Report - I watched the replay of tonight's show, and it seems to me that his producer who SO LOVES RUSH geared the entire show around them 1022.gif and probably would have done a much longer interview if he could have. But maybe someone out there could answer me this: if the guys haven't been on U.S. tv in over 30 years, why now? And in a "venue" much smaller than what their music is really geared for?

Archived