rush to be on the colbert report???

rushfr:CP

They must have known there would be a commercial break. The song would have been over when they came back. I wonder if they played another part of the song over in order to come almost exactly at almost the same place they left off at the commercial. That was amazing! ohmy.gif

I too was upset about Colbert running on before the song was over and it did not look like a joke to me. The second time it seemed like they really had to cut to the commercials. But notice that Colbert wanted to go to a commercial break first and his producer (Jimmy or whatever his name is) said they could do a song before the commercial. I guess it was a joke. I took it all too seriously I guess.

I was very happy Neil made an appearance and talked a lot. I thought it would only be Alex and Geddy talking to Colbert. Guess Neil kind of had to being it was on TV and "safe". rofl3.gif

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Benissimo @ Jul 16 2008, 11:00 PM)
Well so much for the Colbert Report being on the T-shirt... somebody seriously needs to learn how to calculate time on that show.

Still, that was really cool and it sounded Great!

Cheers

im prty sure it was intentinal......people need to call down.....its on COMEDY central....its a comedy show......the whole thing was great.....highlight of the summer so far...(since my rush show was before summer)

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

Well, that was great. Better than I expected.. the questions were great. That was a lot of Rush to sqeeze into 22 minutes of air time.

My favorite part was when he asked Neil if he would ever come out with just a snare and a triangle.. laugh.gif

And I really enjoyed the Ron Paul reference... ph34r.gif

I thought the whole thing was brilliant, including the gag at the end.

Reading through some of the comments in here and on YouTube... folks, it's a satire show on COMEDY Central. Some of you need a HUGE dose of reality and get a sense of humor I think. Your lives will run a lot smoother if you don't take everything so darned seriously.

Though that isn't directed at everyone here, reading through the comments it IS apparently some of you completely got it and were cool with it.

If you notice you'll even see Geddy grinning after the first "interruption." It's fine.. honestly.

I had to set an alarm to wake up in time for the show after going to bed early. It was WELL WORTH IT, and Stephen was in top form throughout the show doing his usual shtick. I'm so glad that plenty of non-Colbert fans got to see his show who wouldn't normally.

What can I say? Rush were TOTALLY AWESOME! yes.gif

Yeah, it bugged me that they cut the song off, even for a joke, but that's television, and they at least made it funny. cool.gif \

BEST MOMENT of the whole thing for me was when my wife turned to me during the song (not a huge Rush fan but she's heard me playing them for years) and says, "You know, it really IS pretty amazing that just the three of them playing make that much music and that big of a sound." As if Rush on the Colbert Report wasn't great enough as is! biggrin.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (Benissimo @ Jul 17 2008, 02:00 AM)
Well so much for the Colbert Report being on the T-shirt... somebody seriously needs to learn how to calculate time on that show.

Still, that was really cool and it sounded Great!

Cheers

Awwww who cares! That was an entire show dedicated to Rush-- and everybody knows the song anyway.

That was amazing. Jimmy turning the screen red for Neil was a highlight. Colbert Report is now the official show of the Rush fan. That was Epic. You can't blame Colbert for the hard break.

Yes!!! God I love this band.

QUOTE (CeeJ @ Jul 16 2008, 07:37 PM)

"Act like I'm the opening band"

"OK... I'm going to get a beer"

Yeah, that was the funniest line by far. Then, the "I'd better not see that on eBay" one.

QUOTE (CeeJ @ Jul 16 2008, 07:46 PM)

This is hysterical. I really think this guy is
a 2.gif fan. What do you think?

rofl3.gif

Well, Jimmy still mispronounced Peart....

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Jul 16 2008, 08:16 PM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Jul 16 2008, 08:12 PM)
QUOTE (JDL2112 @ Jul 16 2008, 08:10 PM)
well that was interesting...I sat in front of the TV...never moved, and never saw Rush...anyone else not see them?

I never did unsure.gif

We have to wait until 11:30 here on the west coast.....just like those on the east coast. smile.gif bekloppt.gif bro!

A big D'oh! to those who don't know how taped TV and time zones work. doh.gif doh.gif

About them being "cut off," it was partly a joke, partly a time limit. Sure you could've heard the last part, but then there wouldn't have been an interview. They got way more air time/references than I would have imagined too.

QUOTE (Derv @ Jul 17 2008, 02:34 AM)
QUOTE (Rush Man @ Jul 17 2008, 07:20 AM)
Thank goodness for Youtube,only way to see it here in the UK.

Cool interview & funny.

1022.gif

A better quality version will be on Colbert Report soon.

I got the timing thing wrong too, went all the way over to my sister's house so I could see it... D'oh!

Anyway, it's up now:

http://www.comedycentral.com/colbertreport...pisodeId=175837

IT's ABOUT DAMNED TIME they returned to US TV!!! 2.gif

it was a joke,i got it(there songs are so long they last through the commercial breaks-get it)

btw most bands get there songs cut off when they do shows like this(unless its a really short song)i believe r.e.m. got cut off as well when they did the colbert report(i think)

If your not outraged that Rush was cut off, I cant understand why ? These Guys are legend, have not done American TV in 30+ years and this the respect they get ? What total crap. When he walked out on the set at the climax of the song, I was like. "Get the f**k off the set asshole, what are you stupid ?" Im sorry but if it was Pink Floyd, The Who, U2, The Stones, etc, that sure as hell would not have happened. Its to bad they did not choose to perform on a show with some class. They did not deserve Rush. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif I'll bet the shows producer, who loves the band is mortified after that. yes.gif

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bwiw-U9kd4

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuQuwuBpslA

Tom Sawyer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPAhP2cpC24

Am a big fan of both, so this was a segment made in heaven for me.

Much of it was funny as hell.

Thanks to Stephen and the band for making this happen, great day to be a Rush fan.

The cut off was intentional, the band knew about it. There was just enough time between where the song left off before the break and where the song picked up after the break for Stephen to get behind his desk to do the next bit. It was planned.

And for the love of god, will everyone please calm down about it. Here the Colbert Report is nice enough to throw so many tributes to Rush into a show, and all our fan base can do is complain. TCR isn't classless, but I know some fans who are.

Just watched it.. thought it was so great how the whole show was pretty much a Rush lovefest. Funny interview (RRHOF joke, Neil's Ebay joke and that they influence themselves...) although the S&A album plug seemed flubbed with the S&A Live. Didn't think the joke of interrupting Rush then going to commercial break while they played was very funny.. was like, whaa??? Hopefully the band was in on it.. would expect they were. Overall, THIS ROCKED!!! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

BTW on the "outrage" of Tom Sawyer getting cut off, relax, it's TV.

Just the fact that Rush appeared on Colbert will provide a heavy amount of promotional viral juice to show people how tremendous they are, and I thank Stephen and his staff for doing this.

And, it's Tom Sawyer, a song we've all heard a combined zillion times.

If it was a first-time acoustic "Something for Nothing" or a song they had never, ever performed before, I can understand being upset.

You want to talk about outrage? How about when Pink Floyd reunited at the Live 8 show in London and the dickhead VH-1 VJs completely interrupted the song by babbling about how great the experience was that they were playing together again after all these years and differences.

Wanted to smash the TV in with a 9 iron.

QUOTE (brendan65 @ Jul 17 2008, 06:59 AM)
Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bwiw-U9kd4

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuQuwuBpslA

Tom Sawyer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPAhP2cpC24

Am a big fan of both, so this was a segment made in heaven for me.

Much of it was funny as hell.

Thanks to Stephen and the band for making this happen, great day to be a Rush fan.

Thanks for the links. My dvr cut the very end of the show off before Colbert pulls out the stocking cap and pillow and goes to sleep. Clearly the band was in on it. Okay, it's a little funnier now. tongue.gif

2.gif

Archived