Almost Got Arrested

GotRush

I live in Phoenix as well. It's said that that happened to you. The fact that they made such a big deal over something so trivial is unbelievably stupid. With all the DUI's we have out here, I think they have better things to be spending their time with. 3 police cruisers is the most ridiculous thing ive ever heard. I'm sorry you had to go through this. What did you end up doing?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Ghostnotes @ Sep 22 2011, 05:57 PM)
I would have fought it and made it more expensive to prosecute me. They are so used to and accustomed to getting their way with all of the CATTLE( no offense intended but it is true) that comes through the courtroom, they don't know how to act or have forgotten what to do when challenged. More so in traffic court. So when the cost of me starts to gain on their profits.....they dismiss the case.

Remember, Traffic court is a FOR PROFIT business.

yes.gif

My standard advice when someone in my family gets a ticket is to go to court. This has resulted - in EVERY CASE - in either a reduction in the fine or outright dismissal.

Altering your licence wasn't a good idea,that's for sure.

but..the copper didn't have to go on a power-trip either.. no.gif

That's like WAY out of line.It's bogus you got put thru all

that,just for displaying your RUSH loyalty.

They might've thought you had stolen the car, then tried

to hide it, by doing what you did..who knows what goes

thru a cops mind... confused13.gif wacko.gif fing.gif

hope ya get out of it somehow. Good luck.

QUOTE (GotRush @ Sep 23 2011, 04:43 PM)
...the Judge thought it was ridiculous, but she read the statute & It did apply, Guilty as charged !
She gave me the minimum fine of 200.00...

http://www.rushmessageboard.com/cpmb/public/style_emoticons/default/mellow2.gif

RUSH.. is also the name of a "drug" what kind and class of drug i've no idea (i don't do drugs).. maybe the cop that pulled you was a bit more clued-up than the others and saw the "?" as if you were asking and probably "pedling".

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Sep 23 2011, 11:16 AM)
reality check: it's a license plate

You might want to pin this since it is the rare time I agree with ghostworks. Too much trouble to go through for a license plate especially when you could have made a bumper sticker that legally accomplished the same goal without the trouble with the man.

Lessons. Show, Don't Tell. Circumstances. These are the songs that came to my head.

Any documentation of the previous pull-overs where it shows you were released without charges/tickets, without the removal of said decale?

Although you may have fractured a law, were made aware of it, but to waste tax $ on a court appearance and you losing a days pay seems to be a much bigger offense for such a "crime". Unless this is how Phoenix brings in revenue. I say fight it!!

It should be dismissed. Lesson learned.

Best of luck to you! May justice prevail!!!!

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 23 2011, 06:07 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Sep 23 2011, 11:16 AM)
reality check: it's a license plate

You might want to pin this since it is the rare time I agree with ghostworks. Too much trouble to go through for a license plate especially when you could have made a bumper sticker that legally accomplished the same goal without the trouble with the man.

+1

trink39.gif

I'm sure the cop took your excuses as an argument for having an altered plate.

Truth is, it's not even your plate to alter. Be glad the cop didn't take the plate.

I understand both sides of this argument.

That being said, the cop's job is to "serve and protect". Now if the question mark was obscuring something, or if it was covering a letter or number on the plate, that is one thing. That is what criminals do.

But adding it to the side? Like if OP GotRush would have hit and killed someone and somebody said, "The license plate said GOTRUSH?" Then the police would have looked it up in their computer and said, well, there is a GOTRUSH with the same color, make and model car but our perp has a ? at the end of GOTRUSH. Darn, back to the drawing board.

I totally understand how this can be a serious offense, but obviously, what GotRush did was not a serious criminal offense and the cop was being a dick....UNLESS....

GotRush was rude to him or acted annoyed or anything like that, then I could understand the cop saying, "well, I will teach this person a lesson". But if that is not the case, the cop should have explained the law, the seriousness (serving and protecting) and had GotRush just remove the sticker.

But I think valid points are made on both sides, but with my above reasoning, and if GotRush was not an ahole, then the cop was being a dick. Of course, IMO.

GotRush,

I hope you get off with the least possible fines whatever route you choose to go. You obviously don't deserve a criminal offense over something so stupid, even if you were rude.