Cheap Trick

ReRushed

The Flam is a very, very good song. Another gem from the 80's that is somewhat overlooked IMO.

I am glad so many of you had good experiences with Cheap Trick live. Mine was not so good. I saw them opening up at SPAC a few years back fro Poison and Def Leopard and Cheap trick was, at best, ok and that is stretching things a great deal. They got blown off the stage by both of the headliners who were both awesome.

Not a terrible group but they have never clicked with me (other than The Flame).

QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Jan 22 2012, 09:05 PM)
The Flam is a very, very good song. Another gem from the 80's that is somewhat overlooked IMO.

I am glad so many of you had good experiences with Cheap Trick live. Mine was not so good. I saw them opening up at SPAC a few years back fro Poison and Def Leopard and Cheap trick was, at best, ok and that is stretching things a great deal. They got blown off the stage by both of the headliners who were both awesome.

Not a terrible group but they have never clicked with me (other than The Flame).

Poison and Def Leppard BOTH blew Cheap Trick off the stage. Jesus, Mary & Joseph.

I don't know whether to cry, puke or call a priest.

The Flame is the apex of suck. Such a shame they released it.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jun 21 2011, 04:31 AM)
4. Bun E. barely tours with them anymore. Like The Beatles, it is either all or none.

Bun E. has had numerous health problems IIRC and that's why he doesn't tour anymore.

Have seen these guys live twice and liked them both times.

I just got my hands on the completely remixed by jack Douglass 30th anniversary set and played some to open my show if anyone wants to hear it. awesome live band...

1-20-12 MY SNOW pt 2

Ive seen them live more times than I can count, always amazing live. Best was the free anniversary show in NYC at Roseland for Budokan. FREE full 78 set live...Ive never heard of a band doing that since
  • Like 1

I saw them here at the State Fair in either the late 90's or early 2000's. Fun, fun show. Tons of Kiss albums tossed in the air by the audience during Surrender. Loved the multi-necked guitar and the one that looks like an upside-down person. I've heard a lot of those guitars were destroyed when their stage collapsed a couple years ago; sad, if true. It was cool to see the rapid-fire tossing of guitar picks into the audience with the help of the guitar tech, and interesting to have a singer who keeps so quiet while the guitar player does all the talking! Best of all, they sounded great.

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Jan 24 2012, 09:35 PM)
I saw them here at the State Fair in either the late 90's or early 2000's. Fun, fun show. Tons of Kiss albums tossed in the air by the audience during Surrender. Loved the multi-necked guitar and the one that looks like an upside-down person. I've heard a lot of those guitars were destroyed when their stage collapsed a couple years ago; sad, if true. It was cool to see the rapid-fire tossing of guitar picks into the audience with the help of the guitar tech, and interesting to have a singer who keeps so quiet while the guitar player does all the talking! Best of all, they sounded great.

Sounds like the best thing was actually that tons of KISS albums were thrown up in the air, leading to the distinct possibility that some were broken, scratched, or otherwise made unlistenable.

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Jan 24 2012, 09:35 PM) I saw them here at the State Fair in either the late 90's or early 2000's. Fun, fun show. Tons of Kiss albums tossed in the air by the audience during Surrender. Loved the multi-necked guitar and the one that looks like an upside-down person. I've heard a lot of those guitars were destroyed when their stage collapsed a couple years ago; sad, if true. It was cool to see the rapid-fire tossing of guitar picks into the audience with the help of the guitar tech, and interesting to have a singer who keeps so quiet while the guitar player does all the talking! Best of all, they sounded great.

Sounds like the best thing was actually that tons of KISS albums were thrown up in the air, leading to the distinct possibility that some were broken, scratched, or otherwise made unlistenable.

The guitar that looks like Rick is called Uncle Dick or something like that . :LOL:

Saw them in '83 as a headliner and then again in '97 opening for Motley Crue.

Edited by nappy2112

So many great albums to choose from:

In Color

Dream Police

Heaven Tonight

One On One

Cheap Trick(there's 2 of those, one from '77 and one from '97)

Rockford

The Latest

Special One

The remainder all have something going for them, the only true stinker is The Doctor. The double live album Silver is fantastic too.

In Color

Dream Police

Heaven Tonight

One On One

Rockford

The Latest

Special One

The remainder all have something going for them, the only true stinker is The Doctor. The double live album Silver is fantastic too.

Next Position Please is also a great one!

I haven't really been following Cheap Trick recently, but what's up with Bun E. Carlos? A couple of years ago, I heard that he left to spend more time with his family and to recover from back injuries. Most recently I heard that there was some kind of falling out between him and the other guys. Has there been an official statement or anything?

I haven't really been following Cheap Trick recently, but what's up with Bun E. Carlos? A couple of years ago, I heard that he left to spend more time with his family and to recover from back injuries. Most recently I heard that there was some kind of falling out between him and the other guys. Has there been an official statement or anything?

From September 2012:

While Cheap Trick‘s original drummer hasn’t been seen on the road with the band in a couple of years, he insists he’s still very much a part of the band. So Bun E. Carlos was shocked when he wasn’t included when his band was invited to record a song for the next ‘A Very Special Christmas.’

Carlos talked to Billboard about the slight, explaining that no one has ever asked him to leave the band permanently. “Solely as an accommodation to some of the band members, I reluctantly agreed to take a temporary hiatus from touring,” he says.

‘A Very Special Christmas – 25 Years’ will benefit the Special Olympics, a cause Carlos includes links to at his website. His lawyer tells Billboard that they may take legal action against his bandmates, saying “(I’m) looking after my interests in Cheap Trick and doing my best to make sure we stand for what is great about rock ‘n’ roll.”

“The Special Olympics was as surprised by this as I was… they had no idea I wasn’t on the record. And, I don’t want them to lose an opportunity to support this great cause because of this.”

In May Carlos talked about being isolated from Robin Zander, Tom Petersson and Rick Nielsen, who’s son Daxx is the current drummer. He said he doesn’t talk to his bandmates either, and doesn’t think it’s likely they’ll record another album together. His primary roll these days seems to be archivist responsible for band bootlegs.

So I guess there are problems between him and the band. Assuming that he's telling the truth, them not including him on that track is a pretty shitty thing to do.

I can't blame Rick for wanting his son to play with them. How cool would that be as a dad?

So I guess there are problems between him and the band. Assuming that he's telling the truth, them not including him on that track is a pretty shitty thing to do.

I can't blame Rick for wanting his son to play with them. How cool would that be as a dad?

That is true. Same with Eddie and Wolfgang Van Halen. Lots of people have complained about that situation, but I'd imagine it would be pretty fulfilling for both of them.

The last time a Cheap Trick post came up, I asked what happened to Bun E. Carlos.(think it was there Conan gig) Answer I got that Carlos had back pain problem that kept him from touring with the band on a regular basis. Looks like it might be more like knife in the back issue.. :sarcastic: Seen great double bill 1981 or 82?? Richfield Coliseium UFO & Cheap Trick..

In Color

Dream Police

Heaven Tonight

One On One

Rockford

The Latest

Special One

All Shook Up is one of my favs also!!!
  • Like 1

I have great confidence in saying I am one of the absolute biggest CT fan you'll ever talk to lmao

I have every single album, seen them 7 times and met them (and got mail from them...yeah I geeked out on Cheap Trick in high school lol)

have ANY questions, I am the one to ask! IMO Heaven Tonight and their debut is tied for their best album. the debut is so raw and kicks f*ckin ASS.

I highly recommend their recent music, too. Rockford and The Latest are their 2 newest- stellar. The Latest is VERY Beatle-esque. they also just did a string of Sgt. Pepper shows, and it is out on cd and dvd.

....sorry. when Cheap Trick is mentioned, I will talk and talk lmao >.<

In Color

Dream Police

Heaven Tonight

One On One

Rockford

The Latest

Special One

All Shook Up is one of my favs also!!!

Special One is SO underrated. It's one of those, you either love or hate...I love it so much.

yeah lmao there IS one song on The Doctor I truly love- Take Me To The Top! and Silver is fantastic- also check out Cheap Trick Music For Hangovers. Definitely worth listening to IMO.

• Like 1

The last time a Cheap Trick post came up, I asked what happened to Bun E. Carlos.(think it was there Conan gig) Answer I got that Carlos had back pain problem that kept him from touring with the band on a regular basis. Looks like it might be more like knife in the back issue.. :sarcastic: Seen great double bill 1981 or 82?? Richfield Coliseium UFO & Cheap Trick..

Yeah Bun's been keeping mum about the band. it's sad. He plays small gigs on a regular basis in Rockford Illinois with his side band.

he HAS had at least 2 back surgeries I can think of off the top of my head, but I get the feeling there is more to it.