The WATER Poll

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

What do you use for drinking/cooking water?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What do you use for drinking/cooking water?

• I use straight tap water for everything (well or city water)
    • I drink bottled water, but use straight tap for cooking, making coffee and tea, etc.
    • I drink bottled water, but use FILTERED tap water for cooking, making coffee and tea, etc.
    • I use bottled water for drinking and for making coffee and tea, but use straight tap water for cooking
    • I use bottled water for drinking and for making coffee and tea, but use FILTERED tap water for cooking
    • I use FILTERED tap water for everything
    • I use bottled water for everything
    • Other

Right now I use bottled water for drinking and for making coffee and tea, but use straight tap water for cooking (for cooking pasta, mainly), but I'm thinking of getting some kind of filtration system so I can use it for cooking AND coffee. I'll still drink Poland Spring.

So my main reason for starting this poll is this question: for those of you who have filtration systems for your tap water, what kind do you use, and are you happy with it? Does the water taste good? Do you feel it removes all the undesirable stuff, especially chlorine?

I have been known to use bottled water when water is an ingredient in cooking, but never for boiling water for pasta, etc. I don't have a filter on my faucet. I'm not worried about my tap water, but i do drink bottled spring water. My home brewed DD coffee off the tap always tastes great! smile.gif

My "other" choice is somewhat unusual.

Our tap water has sulfur in it and it's disgusting. We cook with it, but only when boiling the water first.

For drinking water, coffee/tea, and cooking w/o boiling it, we go to a real, public fresh spring that is tested for cleanliness. The water is pretty much free, but it is a hike for us (an hour away). We go every few month to fill up big containers such as empty juice bottles and bring it home. From there, to be extra safe, we use a Brita to filter it for drinking (even though it's proven safe to drink right from the spout). In dire circumstances, we buy bottled when we can't make the trip, or it's too cold some days in the winter.

On the go, I take my water bottle (Brita-filtered spring water) or just buy bottled for convenience.

Filtered through the fridge for almost everything. If a large pot is needed for potatoes or something then I will use tap because it takes too long to fill using the fridge filter. I try to change the fridge filter every 6 months even though it says to do it every one year just because I figure we are pumping about 2x the average familes usage through it.

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Feb 13 2008, 08:47 PM)
Filtered through the fridge for almost everything. If a large pot is needed for potatoes or something then I will use tap because it takes too long to fill using the fridge filter. I try to change the fridge filter every 6 months even though it says to do it every one year just because I figure we are pumping about 2x the average familes usage through it.

Me too

QUOTE (sundog @ Feb 13 2008, 09:20 PM)
QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ Feb 13 2008, 09:11 PM)
how random is this thread?  AlienSmiley.gif

Just a Sample of the different strings here in our little subdivision of the world! tongue.gif

goodpost.gif

GOOD ONE SUNDOG!!!!!!!!!!

rofl3.gif

...Our water - brita for driking - tap for cooking.

...now a poll for best tap water...BROOKLYN WATER!!!!!!!!!!! No doubt!

We have a Rainsoft water treatment system and like it a lot.

We use a Brita pitcher for drinking water. For cooking, straight tap water.

I've heard that with bottled water becoming more popular, the incidence of cavities is greater, because tap water is treated with fluorine.

Tap for everything.

ranton.gif

I think there are ethical problems with bottling water for a number of reasons.

1. Water, an absolute essential for life, should not be a commodity. no.gif

2. Pumping water from underground aquifers in commercial quantities is having adverse effects on surrounding ecological systems. ohmy.gif

2. Packaging for bottled water consumes a lot of petroleum products in the form of plastics, not to mention the waste & pollution from the plastics-manufacturing process. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

3. Transporting bottled water to warehouses and stores consumes a lot of petroleum products in the form of fuel, not to mention the waste & pollution from the engines of the trucks and energy consumed by air conditioning to chill the bottles.

4. Only a small percentage of plastic bottles are ever recycled. The remainder go into land fills or end up as litter.

There are times when bottled water makes sense, such as in emergencies when public water supplies are affected, and when traveling in places where public water supplies are not safe and boiling isn't an option. The rest of the time we should consider the impact of our consumption on all of humanity, not just on the convenience to ourselves.

rantoff.gif

OK, I'm getting off my soap box now! This is just one of those things that gets under my skin. Thank you for the opportunity to vent!

i have a water filtration system on the house that filters ALL of the water coming into the house. we also have a reverse osmosis unit under the kitchen sink which filters the water 3 more times for drinking, cooking, and especially coffee. trink38.gif

the taste of everything better. ice is clear. no mineral deposits in the pipes or appliances. the water feels better. we use less soap. i highly recommend it. yes.gif

i hafta drink bottled water at work tho. i have become a total water snob, but the tap water in Phoenix is disgusting. eh.gif

Tap water for everything.

here in NE Scotland we are blessed with some of the purest natural water in the world. It has usually been filtered naturally through mountains by the time it reaches us.

It's one of the reasons why so many great whisky is distilled here, due to that very purity.

Bottled water would be both more expensive and inferior.

Oh, and there's plenty of it too, because it never bloody stops raining!

Same as Fridge - very good quality of water here in Scotland, a symptom of lots of rain, so all the water we use comes out of our taps.

I will pick up a bottle of water to drink though if I am out driving.

QUOTE (OriginalFan @ Feb 13 2008, 11:51 PM)
Tap for everything.

ranton.gif
I think there are ethical problems with bottling water for a number of reasons.

1. Water, an absolute essential for life, should not be a commodity. no.gif
2. Pumping water from underground aquifers in commercial quantities is having adverse effects on surrounding ecological systems. ohmy.gif
2. Packaging for bottled water consumes a lot of petroleum products in the form of plastics, not to mention the waste & pollution from the plastics-manufacturing process. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif
3. Transporting bottled water to warehouses and stores consumes a lot of petroleum products in the form of fuel, not to mention the waste & pollution from the engines of the trucks and energy consumed by air conditioning to chill the bottles.
4. Only a small percentage of plastic bottles are ever recycled. The remainder go into land fills or end up as litter.

There are times when bottled water makes sense, such as in emergencies when public water supplies are affected, and when traveling in places where public water supplies are not safe and boiling isn't an option. The rest of the time we should consider the impact of our consumption on all of humanity, not just on the convenience to ourselves.

rantoff.gif

OK, I'm getting off my soap box now! This is just one of those things that gets under my skin. Thank you for the opportunity to vent!

applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif

I'm not much of a bottled water fan. But I can see it's benefit for uses other than for 'normal' drinking. I'll take a bottle or two if I know I'm in for a long drive, we also keep cases of it on the fire trucks, etc. At home we use a Brita water filter hooked up to the kitchen sink. We also have a big Brita pitcher.

Archived