The Greatest British Rock Band

Kudzu

What is the greatest British rock band?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. What is the greatest British rock band?

• Fairport Convention
    • Pink Floyd
    • The Beatles
    • King Crimson
    • Led Zeppelin
    • The Who
    • The Rolling Stones
    • The Kinks
    • Cream
    • Radiohead
    • Jethro Tull
    • Yes
    • Coldplay
    • Marillion
    • Queen
    • Genesis
    • Emerson, Lake & Palmer
    • Supertramp
    • Def Leppard
    • Arctic Monkeys
    • Fleetwood Mac
    • Iron Maiden
    • Muse
    • Deep Purple

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BassUnderPressure @ Feb 7 2007, 03:40 AM)
Genesis, my second favorite band.

Followed by Marillion

Intelligent music comes from Great Britain.
What country is the opposite of your proclamation?

He asked knowingly... eyesre4.gif tongue.gif

Edited by softfilter

bumper.gif

Was looking for a thread on The Strawbs, there's none, in case you're interested, but this rather interesting thread popped up. Can't believe I voted Zep and not The Beatles. Must have had my tight jeans on that day.

And this very thread and the Godlikeproggenius that is Goober got me into the Moody Blues! Since then I've gotten every album on cd & vinyl, incl a mono first print of Lost Chord, every dvd, and I've seen them live! Thanks Goob!

That's a no brainer...The Beatles, no question.

Zep, Floyd, The Who, and Judas Priest are right up there, as well.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Feb 4 2007, 11:44 AM)
Townshend beats Blackmore (by light years).

As a songwriter, composer, and visionary... yes. But as a guitarist, Blackmore's got him beat. Townshend was essentially a rhythm guitarist; not much of a lead player, and certainly no wizard.

yes.gif

The Beatles are all alone in this type of thing for me and are also my all-time favorite band. Since THAT night in Feb. of 1964 (the 8th) on the Ed Sullivan Show, every other band/artist has strived to be 2nd on my list cuz they always have been and always will be number ONE.

It is amazing that a small island has produced so many great, great bands. To float a couple of suggestions as to why (which was asked on page 1 of this thread), I think a LOT of it has to do with parental attitudes in the early 60s when most of the guys in most of these bands were growing up. In the USA, the parents of the people born between 1935 and 1960 hated black blues and it's baby, rock n' roll. In Britian, I think the parents of the baby boomers were far more open to music and different approaches to music (outside of John's Aunt Mimi..."....you'll never make a living playing guitar John"....thank God he persevered despite her attitude). From the biographies of these people I've read, it seemed like their parents were far more supportive of music as a career and more open to different types of music (Sabbath played Butlins Holiday Camp in the late 60s for heaven's sake.....look it up if you don't know what it is).

Maybe the other factor was rain. I mean really, you're stuck inside all the time so what else is there to do but practice and listen to music?

Edited by driventotheedge

The Ruttles , and a distant 2nd The Beatles laugh.gif Yeah know The Beatles lifted plenty of "inspiration" from their faves too, The Everly Brothers,Little Richard, Roy Orbison. They just were a little more sly than Zep. I've never been a blues guy but got into Lead Belly some years back and was amazed how blatantly obvious it was that Page "borrowed" his riff's. I would have given LZ the nod for best if not for that.

Based on the impact they had on rock music went with The Beatles. Not that they are my favorite but the impact they had was greater than the others (IMO). No Beatles and everything after them is either very different or does not exist.

I am somewhat surprised that, to date, the Stones and Cream have received a grand total of 0 votes. Figured that they would have each got at least a couple of votes. I am also shocked that The Who have only 3 votes. Much more influential then that and every bit as influential as Zep (again, IMO).

How does such a small island produce so many great rock bands??

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 28 2012, 12:54 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 28 2012, 05:44 PM)
QUOTE (USB Connector @ Jan 28 2012, 12:36 PM)
Today I learned that Zeppelin is an English band, not Australian.

huh.gif

x 2 and a wtf.gif

I bought their CDs. I've never looked in the booklets. They haven't toured in my lifetime, so I've never looked on their website for a tour. I have the time to learn the story of every band I like. Therefore how could I have possibly known this?

Edited by USB Connector

Pink Floyd

..definitely eternal and dear for me. Some of the very best music in known space. May the soul of true music still live on. Kudos to other bands in the list too (Priest and Sabbath missing). Yes bubbling under..

The only time I cried last year because of music was when David Gilmour appeared on stage (atop the wall) with Roger Waters smiling--too much epicness (and remembering the past decades..)

King Crimson

Followed closely by Yes, Genesis, Led Zeppelin, ELP, Fleetwood Mac, and Pink Floyd.

If the question was Most Important?, I would have picked Zep, but greatest goes to King Crimson.

No one else can do what they did.

Great poll but the answer is obvious to me. Radiohead are the greatest band of all time, let alone the greatest British rock band. Muse come in a close second with Pink Floyd and the Beatles in third and fourth respectively. Lots of other great band on the list too.