"Dynamic pricing" at Wendy's? BE GONE, SATAN!

The price of a Wendy’s Frosty could soon fluctuate throughout the day as the chain looks to introduce Uber-like surge pricing on its menu. 

The practice, known as “dynamic pricing,” will begin testing in 2025, Wendy’s recently revealed in an earnings call. It’s part of a $20 million investment in new digital menu boards at its US restaurants that enable them to change prices depending on demand.

Few details were released about the change, but Wendy’s CEO Kirk Tanner said the new menus will let the fast food chain test “more enhanced features like dynamic pricing and day-part offerings along with AI-enabled menu changes and suggestive selling.”

“We expect our digital menu boards will drive immediate benefits to order accuracy, improve crew experience and sales growth from upselling and consistent merchandising execution,” Tanner said on the call.

*****************************************************************************************************************

Wendy, I've just dumped you.  Of course, I hardly ever stop by to see you, so you won't miss me.   

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Maybe McD's should try it.

Typical hyperbolic clickbait headline, but their prices have gone up a lot in the past few years.

1980: My coworkers and I once marveled at our coworker, "Bill", who went next door to McDonalds and ate $8.00 worth of food.   :blink: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Principled Man said:

1980: My coworkers and I once marveled at our coworker, "Bill", who went next door to McDonalds and ate $8.00 worth of food.   :blink: 

Five Guys has gone up a lot since the pandemic. Here in NY, their normal two-patty burger, small fries and a bottle of water is now over $18. They're good burgers, and their fries are the best (and they don't skimp on them), but that's a lot.

McD's burgers are bottom-tier for fast food burgers and are nowhere near as good as Five Guys, so the thought of paying $18 for a Big Mac meal is as hard to stomach as the burgers themselves.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm not an economist, but doesn't dynamic pricing work because of supply and demand forces? If Uber drivers are busier because the game just let out, and thus there are fewer Uber drivers available, charging more is a response to market forces.*

How does that work for a Frosty? Are they going to charge more if the Frosty sludge is getting low in order to prolong the supply? Why not just add more mix? That's what we did whenever the school bus pulled into the parking lot, when I worked at Wendy's ('87-'88). The only "shortages" here would be artifically created by Wendy's, yes? I call horseshit.

(*This makes markets sound rational, I realize, but I know they -- like the people involved -- are mostly irrational, so there's that.)

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

This calls for a visit from Michael Douglas.  

F**k him, this calls for Al!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nova Carmina said:

I'm not an economist, but doesn't dynamic pricing work because of supply and demand forces? If Uber drivers are busier because the game just let out, and thus there are fewer Uber drivers available, charging more is a response to market forces.*

How does that work for a Frosty? Are they going to charge more if the Frosty sludge is getting low in order to prolong the supply? Why not just add more mix? That's what we did whenever the school bus pulled into the parking lot, when I worked at Wendy's ('87-'88). The only "shortages" here would be artificially created by Wendy's, yes? I call horseshit.

Yes, supply & demand is the foundation of this strategy. 

Imagine if all retail places did this.  A gallon of milk and a package of toilet paper at Krogers, a bag of ice-melter at Home Depot, a Butter Burger at Culver's ....everything would vary in price during the day.  I see nothing but trouble coming from this.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nova Carmina said:

How does that work for a Frosty? Are they going to charge more if the Frosty sludge is getting low in order to prolong the supply? Why not just add more mix? That's what we did whenever the school bus pulled into the parking lot, when I worked at Wendy's ('87-'88). The only "shortages" here would be artifically created by Wendy's, yes? I call horseshit.

(*This makes markets sound rational, I realize, but I know they -- like the people involved -- are mostly irrational, so there's that.)

It's all about the $$$. The corporations are making a lot of money because they still use the pandemic or supply chain baloney to justify the higher prices but that hasn't been the case for a while yet the daft still believe it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BastillePark said:

It's all about the $$$. The corporations are making a lot of money because they still use the pandemic or supply chain baloney to justify the higher prices but that hasn't been the case for a while yet the daft still believe it. 

Move this thread to SOCN before it's too late.  :scared:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Five Guys has gone up a lot since the pandemic. Here in NY, their normal two-patty burger, small fries and a bottle of water is now over $18. They're good burgers, and their fries are the best (and they don't skimp on them), but that's a lot.

McD's burgers are bottom-tier for fast food burgers and are nowhere near as good as Five Guys, so the thought of paying $18 for a Big Mac meal is as hard to stomach as the burgers themselves.

Five Guys is expensive, and my location started skimping on them (by their standards), in that they aren't dumping another scoop straight in the bag. Just enough to fill the little fry container. It's not NY prices making it $18, either, it's stupid high in Iowa, too.

6 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

47 minutes ago, The Analog Cub said:

Five Guys is expensive, and my location started skimping on them (by their standards), in that they aren't dumping another scoop straight in the bag. Just enough to fill the little fry container. It's not NY prices making it $18, either, it's stupid high in Iowa, too.

I last went there about a month ago, but that was the first time in maybe eight months. I didn't notice a difference in the amount of fries (got the usual "extra" scoop in the bag) or in the food quality in general, but I did notice the price increase.

Now the CEO of Kellogg's is under fire for suggesting that low-income people eat cereal for dinner to save money.  :laugh:  

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

I last went there about a month ago, but that was the first time in maybe eight months. I didn't notice a difference in the amount of fries (got the usual "extra" scoop in the bag) or in the food quality in general, but I did notice the price increase.

I can get a steak dinner at my local Texas Roadhouse for $18 (excluding tip). I think at that price 5 guys has or is close to jumping the shark with their current business model. Good food, but not worth $18 imo. I've got it down to a science on how to play the fast food menus to my advantage. McDs...always get the BOGO deals for $4 or $7 if I want fries. Always drink water at sit down restaurants (oh that pisses off the waitresses because drinks have the highest margins in the place). Culvers...get the cheeseburger kids meal...$7 includes custard. 

20 minutes ago, Principled Man said:

Now the CEO of Kellogg's is under fire for suggesting that low-income people eat cereal for dinner to save money.  :laugh:  

that's a good idea...and low income people can eat the generic non-kellogg brands from walmart. mr. jackass ceo might want to re-think his absurdity.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Principled Man said:

Yes, supply & demand is the foundation of this strategy. 

Imagine if all retail places did this.  A gallon of milk and a package of toilet paper at Krogers, a bag of ice-melter at Home Depot, a Butter Burger at Culver's ....everything would vary in price during the day.  I see nothing but trouble coming from this.    

bring it on...i'll just shop at 2am. 

3 hours ago, Principled Man said:

That's kind of off point of him. My husband and I still eat a lot of cereal but if it's not on sale, the premium brands are like $7.00 a box now. That's a lot in my book! So yes, Tasty Os and Sugar coated flakes in the House until sale week. I was recently reading a Robert Reich column that 5 grocery chains are responsible for 70 percent of the country, they're taking my cereal! :laugh:  Pancakes are better for dinner! 

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

I'm not feeling it for this Wendy's decision. I love Frosties (Frostys?)and always went there because they had brewed ice tea (still like their baked potatoes) but I've never been to one that didn't have a competitor nearby (like right next door.) Dave Thomas wouldn't approve! 

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, invisible airwave said:

I go to regional places anyways.  Food is better.

Regional or a local yokel for me, for the same reasons.

Best example is subs (or hoagies, grinders, heroes, insert regional name here).   I bypass franchisees of two major sub chains and two major thoroughfares to go to a local.  Only thing covid has changed is they recommend phone or fax in your order beforehand as opposed to a still huge walk in business.  Owner has been in biz well over 35 years, and also owns the frozen custard shop next door.  Has to be doing something right.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pjbear05 said:

Regional or a local yokel for me, for the same reasons.

Best example is subs (or hoagies, grinders, heroes, insert regional name here).   I bypass franchisees of two major sub chains and two major thoroughfares to go to a local.  Only thing covid has changed is they recommend phone or fax in your order beforehand as opposed to a still huge walk in business.  Owner has been in biz well over 35 years, and also owns the frozen custard shop next door.  Has to be doing something right.

Sorry, Subway, but Lindy's Subs is within walking distance, and it's great.  $14 for a HUGE sub sandwich, and the girls working there are so pretty!  :blush2:  

19 hours ago, blueschica said:

My husband and I still eat a lot of cereal but if it's not on sale, the premium brands are like $7.00 a box now. 

Maruchan Ramen soups are 39 cents a package where I'm at.   :cool: 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BastillePark said:

Wendy's now says they won't be doing the surge pricing. Whew, what a relief. :glare:

Back in the day, it took weeks of boycotts and thousands of strongly-worded paper letters mailed to the Company to get them to change their minds.... :biggrin:

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Principled Man said:

Back in the day, it took weeks of boycotts and thousands of strongly-worded paper letters mailed to the Company to get them to change their minds.... :biggrin:

The power of social media, gets the word out quickly and then the response blows up.  Glad that isn't going to happen, at least for now.  Bet someone else will try it eventually.

• Like 1