The music of exhaustion

Nova Carmina

Last year, the cultural critic Ted Gioia raised some hackles by suggesting that "new" music was basically out of ideas, which explains why most of the streaming was of older music. Now here's another article on the same idea:

"How Old Music Became the Biggest Thing in New Music"

h/t the Ringer.

So, is this second article a sign of a growing awareness of a significant cultural trend, or does it suggest that it's music journalism that's run out of ideas?

Most of the streaming is older music because it's been around for decades and has had many years for people to become familiar with it and like the music. That doesn't mean new music is out of ideas. Bands today don't have radio and MTV to rely on to become huge like bands years ago did. A lot of bands today have to grow organically through consistently releasing good music and touring a lot. It takes bands longer these days for people to become familiar with them. Especially in rock and metal. So of course older, more familiar music is going to get more listeners. But there is still newer music that get really good numbers on the streaming services. But due to times being different people actually may have to put a little bit of effort into finding the new music that is out instead of always falling back on the old reliable stuff.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Most of the streaming is older music because it's been around for decades and has had many years for people to become familiar with it and like the music. That doesn't mean new music is out of ideas. Bands today don't have radio and MTV to rely on to become huge like bands years ago did. A lot of bands today have to grow organically through consistently releasing good music and touring a lot. It takes bands longer these days for people to become familiar with them. Especially in rock and metal. So of course older, more familiar music is going to get more listeners. But there is still newer music that get really good numbers on the streaming services. But due to times being different people actually may have to put a little bit of effort into finding the new music that is out instead of always falling back on the old reliable stuff.

If only there was a television channel that would live up to it's name instead of playing to the lowest class of people with intellectually stimulating programs like Jersey Shore or Love and Hip Hop: Atlanta maybe those bands would be more successful. 

• Like 3

I just like what I like, and little that is current tickles my fancy.

• Like 3

On 12/20/2023 at 8:05 AM, J2112YYZ said:

Possible.

Or it could be that new music is derivative at best, or just plain sucks.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2023 at 9:07 AM, BastillePark said:

If only there was a television channel...

Lol.  TV is dead.  Yet it's never been easier to get your art out to the public.  Because there are no gatekeepers. This true not only for cat memes, but for music as well.  But if your art sucks - if is is derivative, unimaginative, or just uncompelling - no one will click.  

15 hours ago, goose said:

Possible.

Or it could be that new music is derivative at best, or just plain sucks.

there is good music but i kinda agree we're in a period in time where we've heard most of this music (ofteen times done better) in the past.

it's why i'm sticking to older familiar stuff latly.  like......the 70's still amazes me.  Because to think there was  a time of such booming creativity is just mind blowing.  it's my fav decade for music.

Mick

• Like 1

20 hours ago, goose said:

Lol.  TV is dead.  Yet it's never been easier to get your art out to the public.  Because there are no gatekeepers. This true not only for cat memes, but for music as well.  But if your art sucks - if is is derivative, unimaginative, or just uncompelling - no one will click.  

I fully disagree. One of the more popular modern rock bands today is Gretta Van Fleet doing a pretty blatant Zeppelin rip off. People absolutely want a derivative reminder of the glory days 

4 hours ago, ytserush said:

The needles are a lot smaller and the haystacks a lot bigger.

I search around Bandcamp and have found some interesting new music. 

I actively seek out music from all around the world looking for music. It's not easy, I listen to a lot of bad music, or boring music. But I'm rewarded all the time. 

It's ridiculous to think there's nothing new.. 

The industry works hard at controlling taste, and it's more successful than ever. Independence in radio is harder to find, so a dj can't break a band as often as they used to. 

It's harder to create a strong local scene around a new sound when instant entertainment is already in your hand every minute of every day.

It's harder to commit to a band, hit the road and work for it, when the chances of making enough money for gas and food are lower than ever. Harder to sell music, merch, and tickets.

The airwaves are more dominated by corporate music than ever before, switching dials in many markets is just an exercise in old music or pop music. Pop music is overly controlled now, and other new music is ignored. 

Of course old music is huge. A lot of people are new to it, and it's got more variety because more variety has a way to get heard. 

But music is art, creative people exist, and there's always someone playing around with a guitar doing something new. 

Music isn't exhausted.

Old people have always been annoying in this claim. If it's new and good it's derivative. If it's new and not derivative, it's not good. Nothing says I'm stuck in the past like that. 

I could mention new bands I like and everyone will either say it's not good, or point out the styles they recognize, or both. Just like their fathers did to them, just like their grandfather's did to their father. 

Music is art, a lot of people who get into at want to create something new. 

It's harder to find than ever, but that's not the fault of the artist. There out there trying. A lot of them have to make money, though, and it's harder than ever to get your music listened to and paid for.

• Like 2