Geddy Lee won't rule out future Rush shows with Alex Lifeson!!

skullchrist

1 hour ago, BigMontanaSKY said:

Let em retire. 

Seriously.

If they want to retire, let them.  If they want to play, let them.

The decision is up to Ged and Al, and I'm fine with whatever they want to do because I know they're decent human beings.  If they tour again, it'll be done with with class and with respect to Neil's memory, because that's the kind of people they are, and I'll be right there to buy a ticket.

• Like 8

I'd attend. Whatever level they're comfortable with. One last ride would be nice. That could mean 60 minute shows with an intermission and another book interview for all I care. I'm not terribly surprised that they're (or at least Geddy is) missing performing music for an audience after all these years.

2025: Rash Plays Snakes & Arrows In Its Majority

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 2

I'd go see whatever they did but for me personally, it wouldn't sit well if they called themselves "Rush" with no Neil, and ultimately I think they wouldn't do that.

My guess is that what ends up happening is Geddy makes a solo album, Alex plays guitar on some of the songs, Geddy does a solo tour where he plays a mix of his solo stuff and Rush, and Alex comes out for a few shows. I can't see Alex wanting to do a full tour.

• Like 4

Won't attend if billed as Rush.  They've done plenty of interviews stating that without the three of them Rush will not continue.  Now if they want to do Lee/Lifeson celebrate the music of Rush then I'm in.

Hell they can call themselves the Purple Helmets and I'd go.  Just not "An Evening with Rush".

• Like 1

They're my favorite band of all time!  And NP is one of my favorite lyricists and drummers and as musicians they are ALL all uniquely different in their own way -- the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. But the reality is this:

- Geddy and Alex have known each other since they were kids
- The band existed long before NP came along
- Lee/Lifeson wrote many songs before Neil came on board (and they have matured as lyricists)
- Geddy already showed it can be done on his solo record

I'm excited either way, whether it's called the Lee-Lifeson Band or Rush! :musik19: :clap::7up::smoke: (as mentioned they were Rush before Neil soooo.)

I already have my tickets, lol! :laugh:

I mean holy sh*t in Shinola...if the Stones can tour at 80 then everyone should be inspired to tour! :yes:

Edited by skullchrist
  • Like 1

By the by.  Just saw this!

Paul McCartney...THEE Paul McCartney...LIVING LEGEND...inspires Rush to perform again!! :notworthy:

I mean...how can you say no to that?!?! (seems like a super amazing and humble cat) :sundog:

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/paul-mccartney-geddy-lee-alex-lifeson/?fbclid=IwAR3ZaSwqhXvjd7baGsZ0HAJgRVQ1Ry3dENw5VQ2sPiK8xNxeSao8VfCmA0k

Edited by skullchrist
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, skullchrist said:

They're my favorite band of all time!  And NP is one of my favorite lyricists and drummers and as musicians they are ALL all uniquely different in their own way -- the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. But the reality is this:

- Geddy and Alex have known each other since they were kids
- The band existed long before NP came along
- Lee/Lifeson wrote many songs before Neil came on board (and they have matured as lyricists)
- Geddy already showed it can be done on his solo record

I'm excited either way, whether it's called the Lee-Lifeson Band or Rush! :musik19: :clap::7up::smoke: (as mentioned they were Rush before Neil soooo.)

I already have my tickets, lol! :laugh:

I mean holy sh*t in Shinola...if the Stones can tour at 80 then everyone should be inspired to tour! :yes:

Agreed. They can call themselves Rush.  They are 2/3 of the band and don't need to pack it in because their beloved member passed away.  I would like to think Neil wouldn't disapprove.  What is wrong with carrying on the dream? They had a drummer before Neil.  Life is short and they are entitled to another chapter.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, skullchrist said:

By the by.  Just saw this!

Paul McCartney...THEE Paul McCartney...LIVING LEGEND...inspires Rush to perform again!! :notworthy:

I mean...how can you say no to that?!?! (seems like a super amazing and humble cat) :sundog:

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/paul-mccartney-geddy-lee-alex-lifeson/?fbclid=IwAR3ZaSwqhXvjd7baGsZ0HAJgRVQ1Ry3dENw5VQ2sPiK8xNxeSao8VfCmA0k

It's worth listening to the Rolling Stone interview just to hear Geddy's Macca impersonation :laugh: 

(actually it's worth listening to it full stop, really good chat with Brian Hiatt - a rare RS Rush fanboy :smile: )

Interesting that McCartney said he'd never met anyone from Rush, because I remember reading in Ghost Rider that Neil attended one of his album launches in New York. No surprise that Neil didn't want to meet anyone mind you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lurkst said:

It's worth listening to the Rolling Stone interview just to hear Geddy's Macca impersonation :laugh: 

(actually it's worth listening to it full stop, really good chat with Brian Hiatt - a rare RS Rush fanboy :smile: )

Interesting that McCartney said he'd never met anyone from Rush, because I remember reading in Ghost Rider that Neil attended one of his album launches in New York. No surprise that Neil didn't want to meet anyone mind you.

Will have to check it out! 👍

Yeah, I mean can you imagine one of the all time Rock Gods (that literally changed the f-ing world!!  No exaggeration!!) being cool and humble enough to be interested in wanting to meet you!!  You just hear horror stories about that kind of stuff and it's amazing to know that there are still people out there like that...a real gentlemen, gentle soul and down-to-earth hippy-type...wanting to pay it forward and being a real human being.  I know, just like millions of other kids that they all -- Ged, Alex and Neil -- all watched the Ed Sullivan show with The Beatles when they were kids so that would be quite a mind-blowing experience for Ged and Al! :explode:

Edited by skullchrist
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, yyz2112 said:

Agreed. They can call themselves Rush.  They are 2/3 of the band and don't need to pack it in because their beloved member passed away.  I would like to think Neil wouldn't disapprove.  What is wrong with carrying on the dream? They had a drummer before Neil.  Life is short and they are entitled to another chapter.

This in a nutshell!  Well said! :clap:

• Like 2

On 11/21/2023 at 6:48 PM, thizzellewashington said:

I'd go see whatever they did but for me personally, it wouldn't sit well if they called themselves "Rush" with no Neil, and ultimately I think they wouldn't do that.

My guess is that what ends up happening is Geddy makes a solo album, Alex plays guitar on some of the songs, Geddy does a solo tour where he plays a mix of his solo stuff and Rush, and Alex comes out for a few shows. I can't see Alex wanting to do a full tour.

This is my guess too. 

On 11/21/2023 at 10:51 PM, yyz2112 said:

I would like to think Neil wouldn't disapprove.  What is wrong with carrying on the dream? They had a drummer before Neil.  Life is short and they are entitled to another chapter.

They get a new drummer every 50 years.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 3:49 PM, Rush Didact said:

If they want to retire, let them.  If they want to play, let them.

The decision is up to Ged and Al, and I'm fine with whatever they want to do because I know they're decent human beings.  If they tour again, it'll be done with with class and with respect to Neil's memory, because that's the kind of people they are, and I'll be right there to buy a ticket.

Agreed except for the ticket part. I'd need to know A LOT more than what I know now. And since THEY don't know, it's going to be a while even if the clock is ticking.

Geddy himself said he didn't want to be in a band without Alex and Neil. I must admit I have anxiety thinking they may play with a drummer I do not like ( not naming names ) . Rush had a perfect end to their career. And I hate to see that ruined. Those are my concerns. Now if they called it anything other than officially "RUSH" well all those anxieties for me go away. And what a great opprotunity to play with more musicans . Other singers , Keyboardist. ect.

• Like 1

Geddy said something interesting in his latest Rolling Stone interview — if he ever plays Rush stuff live again, with or without Alex, it likely wouldn't be as a three-piece. He'd get extra musicians. Which makes sense, because he (and Alex, if he were to be involved) is a little old at this point to still have to recreate all of that stuff himself live. And if they're not calling it "Rush," it doesn't really matter if it's not a trio.

I highly doubt Portnoy would be the one. He just rejoined Dream Theater a month ago and they're making a record, and I would think him rejoining his original/iconic band after 10+ years away is a big enough deal that he won't want to commit to another gig, especially one this high-profile, for at least a few years.

Plenty of drummers are technically capable of playing Neil's stuff, it's just weird to picture them calling anything "Rush" without him. And again, I think Geddy and Alex would ultimately come to the same conclusion and call it something else, knowing how they're wired and how much respect they have for what they built with Neil.

3 hours ago, thizzellewashington said:

Geddy said something interesting in his latest Rolling Stone interview — if he ever plays Rush stuff live again, with or without Alex, it likely wouldn't be as a three-piece. He'd get extra musicians. Which makes sense, because he (and Alex, if he were to be involved) is a little old at this point to still have to recreate all of that stuff himself live. And if they're not calling it "Rush," it doesn't really matter if it's not a trio.

I highly doubt Portnoy would be the one. He just rejoined Dream Theater a month ago and they're making a record, and I would think him rejoining his original/iconic band after 10+ years away is a big enough deal that he won't want to commit to another gig, especially one this high-profile, for at least a few years.

Plenty of drummers are technically capable of playing Neil's stuff, it's just weird to picture them calling anything "Rush" without him. And again, I think Geddy and Alex would ultimately come to the same conclusion and call it something else, knowing how they're wired and how much respect they have for what they built with Neil.

Replacing Neil is a fool's errand. Nobody wants that gig. 

Solution: No percussion at all.

Instead, a full orchestral tour.

I can see the marquee now: "Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson: The Best of the Synth Era, featuring the Vienna Symphony Orchestra."

1 hour ago, BigMontanaSKY said:

The cruelty of consumers is .....terrible.

These guys have done enough for us. Let them enjoy their family lives.

You're missing the point: it's Ged who's talking about playing again. He brought this up, not fans.

• Like 4