Geddy Lee won't rule out future Rush shows with Alex Lifeson!!

skullchrist

For myself, I'm perfectly fine with them not re-forming some version of Rush and touring. That said, I'm sure the momentum is building for that. If they did, here' s how they should approach it. 

1. Name the band something innocuous like the Lifeson Lee Project. It removes the Rush label and give them more flexibility.  

2. Given the rebrand of #1, play songs from their solo material or new material that they develop. The shows could still have 70% Rush material.

3. Get a keyboard player and/or singer. Geddy can still probably sing a few songs that his voice can handle, but I'm guessing it's shot at this point. I would think Geddy would like just concentrating on bass at this point.

4. Any number of great drummers that could fill in. But try to steer away from drum heavy material like La Villa to avoid the Neil comparisons.

5. Avoid the Vegas residency sell out. 

7 years since touring can make a huge difference for older guys. If they aren't up to it, then let it go and don't do it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, HemiBeers said:

3. Get a keyboard player and/or singer. Geddy can still probably sing a few songs that his voice can handle, but I'm guessing it's shot at this point. I would think Geddy would like just concentrating on bass at this point.

Definitely agree they should use extra musicians -- a full-time keyboard player so Geddy can focus on bass, and maybe even a second guitarist to help Alex out.

As far as the vocals, I also worry that Geddy's voice wouldn't be able to hold up for a full tour. He sounded *fine* at the Taylor Hawkins shows last year but there's a big difference between being able to do three songs at two one-off shows with a ton of time to rehearse, and having to play a two-plus hour show several times a week.

I don't think they'd need to get a different vocalist, I just think they'd have to be smart about what songs they play. Some of their recent tours (Clockwork Angels for example) focused on the mid-80s stuff that's a lot more reasonable for Geddy to be able to still sing, and he sounded great. R40 was rough in places because they were playing a lot of the 70s stuff. So keep the focus on the later Rush material in addition to solo material and some of the "mellower" older stuff to get around the vocal issues.

• Like 1

I'm in if:

1. It is called Lee-Lifeson or similar. No Rush reference beyond that please.

2. The drummer is either Danny Carey or Brann Dailor.

3. Geddy singing kept to a minimum, especially if his voice gets any worse. Please learn from Roger Waters.

4. Mostly new stuff. Or bring out other guests on every show and do covers. They could have a new surprise at every show.

5. If they do Rush songs, do deep, deep, deep cuts or interesting new arrangements. Please. 

• Like 5

I think Rush should just form a new band and call it something else. Nothing with the band member's names or the word "project". Make it a super group maybe. Hire a drummer, a SINGER (Geddy maybe backup vocals or vocals on his old solo material), and maybe a keyboard player so Geddy is freed up to just play the bass. Write a new record getting every band member to contribute and pulling from multiple influences. Make it very apparent that this is a new project. Nobody will fill Peart's shoes so just start anew.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, presto123 said:

I think Rush should just form a new band and call it something else. Nothing with the band member's names or the word "project". Make it a super group maybe. Hire a drummer, a SINGER (Geddy maybe backup vocals or vocals on his old solo material), and maybe a keyboard player so Geddy is freed up to just play the bass. Write a new record getting every band member to contribute and pulling from multiple influences. Make it very apparent that this is a new project. Nobody will fill Peart's shoes so just start anew.

Funny, I prefer it to be called Lee-Lifeson.

We'll see! 👍

Geddy and Alex were dropping some very big hints tonight in Toronto about playing together again. They can play coy all they want, but these guys know how to work the media, and they wouldn't be talking the way they have been lately unless something was already in the planning stage. I bet we hear something definite in the new year...

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Rush Didact said:

Geddy and Alex were dropping some very big hints tonight in Toronto about playing together again. They can play coy all they want, but these guys know how to work the media, and they wouldn't be talking the way they have been lately unless something was already in the planning stage. I bet we hear something definite in the new year...

What did they say?

• Like 3

................I wonder if they'd be making new music in order to reverse some of the slump the industry has experienced overall, and especially since the Pandemic happened.

Also the support people for Rush were always proud of how hard they worked. IE making live music again keeps people employed. 

I'm not saying anything that has not been said before, just re-stating it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thizzellewashington said:

What did they say?

I can't give you a verbatim quote because my memory isn't that good, but Geddy asked Alex something like, "So what do you think, should we play together sometime?" to which Lerxst replied, "Yeah, I think we could do that." (Cue massive round of applause from the audience.) And then Geddy said he didn't want to get our hopes up, "because, you know, we might not even be friends tomorrow."

Or something to that effect, anyways. It had a very tongue in cheek vibe, they both had grins on their faces like it was an inside joke. I was left with the distinct feeling that there was a lot more to it than what they were letting on.

Edited by Rush Didact
  • Like 2

On 12/8/2023 at 1:00 AM, Rush Didact said:

They can play coy all they want, but these guys know how to work the media, and they wouldn't be talking the way they have been lately unless something was already in the planning stage. I bet we hear something definite in the new year...

You know I didn't even think of this...but this a 1000%!! ⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️

These guys are VERY smart, they wouldn't have mentioned it unless they were already working on something.

• Like 1

What about this guy (here covering the whole PeW on all instruments) on drums and support vocals?

He plays live with Queen, currently...

Edited by Alexmai
  • Like 3

On 12/9/2023 at 10:06 AM, Tony R said:

Marco Minneman would be the perfect ‘neutral’ choice. Has the technical chops to pull it off without the baggage of a big name band. 

I hear Bram van der Berg will be available starting next month. 

Alex just did a radio interview today with Eddie Trunk on SiriusXM and definitely didn’t sound like any kind of “Rush 2.0” is happening. Didn’t rule out writing new music with Geddy at some point and said he wants to do that when Geddy gets done with the book promo stuff, but Alex was adamant that he has absolutely zero interest in touring again and doesn’t know if he can still play Rush stuff as well as he did on R40 because of the arthritis.

So there’s that.

• Like 6

Rush will always have a big place in my life. But when Neil passed away their magical dynamic also died too. I think deep down Geddy and Alex realize this. Rush just wouldn't be the same without him.

What motivation would they have to hit the road? It's exhausting and expensive, and we all have limited time.

I view Geddy's wonderful book tour as a victory lap and a thoughtful and articulate farewell.

What a run.

Edited by upstateNYfan
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, upstateNYfan said:

Rush will always have a big place in my life. But when Neil passed away that magical dynamic also died too. I think deep down Geddy and Alex realize this. Rush just wouldn't be the same.

What motivation would they have to hit the road? It's exhausting and expensive, and we all have limited time.

I view Geddy's wonderful book tour as a victory lap and a thoughtful and articulate farewell.

What a run.

I tend to agree with this. I don't want to see Rush without any one of the three. If Geddy wanted to do a solo tour and play Rush songs as well as solo stuff, I would be interested in that, but they don't have to do anything.

Something Alex said on the radio yesterday, too, is that he feels like the show they put together for R40, and how good they were on that tour, is a good final memory for fans and he doesn't want to go out and cheapen that if they can't do it at the same level.

• Like 2

My thoughts on this...as mentioned already...is that they will not continue as Rush, it will be something like the Lee/Lifeson band.  Maybe a few festival slots to see if Alex can do it.  If not I believe Geddy will go solo and maybe Alex will come out and play a few songs.  Geddy's already gone solo before so this is not new territory and there is already precedence.

Bottom line, this is happening -- is some iteration -- but one (or both of them) will be recording a new album and playing out in some manner in the next year or so.  As someone that's getting older and occasionally plays in a band, when the call comes it's very hard to say no because there's always the 'what if' (as the old adage goes; it's the things in life you DON'T do that you regret, not the things you DO).

Just my intuition/thoughts. :old:

10 hours ago, skullchrist said:

My thoughts on this...as mentioned already...is that they will not continue as Rush, it will be something like the Lee/Lifeson band.  Maybe a few festival slots to see if Alex can do it.  If not I believe Geddy will go solo and maybe Alex will come out and play a few songs.  Geddy's already gone solo before so this is not new territory and there is already precedence.

Bottom line, this is happening -- is some iteration -- but one (or both of them) will be recording a new album and playing out in some manner in the next year or so.  As someone that's getting older and occasionally plays in a band, when the call comes it's very hard to say no because there's always the 'what if' (as the old adage goes; it's the things in life you DON'T do that you regret, not the things you DO).

Sounds like that's exactly why they are doing other things.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 10:10 AM, skullchrist said:

I can't imagine them ever doing another festival appearance.  What I could see is them recording some new music and Geddy playing a few shows, with Alex appearing if his arthritis allows.  The problem with arthritis is that Al isn't going to know if he can do it until day-of, so it would have to be flexible by necessity.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2024 at 6:31 PM, thizzellewashington said:

Alex just did a radio interview today with Eddie Trunk on SiriusXM and definitely didn’t sound like any kind of “Rush 2.0” is happening. Didn’t rule out writing new music with Geddy at some point and said he wants to do that when Geddy gets done with the book promo stuff, but Alex was adamant that he has absolutely zero interest in touring again and doesn’t know if he can still play Rush stuff as well as he did on R40 because of the arthritis.

So there’s that.

I'm shocked! Just shocked!