Hunky Dory vs. Who’s Next

Choose one  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Album

• David Bowie - Hunky Dory
    • The Who - Who’s Next
    • Don’t make me choose!

A tricky one this. Both albums mean such a great deal to me.

So...... i will choose to sit on the fence!!!

• Like 3

Thought this would be unanimous.  The only thing I can think of is that everything on Who's Next it's been overplayed so much people are tired of it.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, laughedatbytime said:

Thought this would be unanimous.  The only thing I can think of is that everything on Who's Next it's been overplayed so much people are tired of it.

Hunky Dory is sometimes cited as Bowie’s very best. I think they’re very close, and I only really choose Who’s Next because The Who only ever topped it once (Quadrophenia), whereas Bowie still had tons of room to grow even from Hunky Dory’s impressive heights.

• Like 2

I own both and both are such classics, although in different wheelhouses . They run through my head a lot but maybe that's just me! :laugh:

I think each is my favorite album from each particular artist. Thank goodness you are not making us decide!  Although I guess I still have made a choice, lol! Where's Neil when we need to ask him about this?

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, blueschica said:

I own both and both are such classics, although in different wheelhouses . They run through my head a lot but maybe that's just me! 

I think each is my favorite album from each particular artist. Thank goodness you are not making us decide!  Although I guess I still have made a choice, lol! Where's Neil when we need to ask him about this?

Oh I think Neil would go with Who's Next in an instant. There's only one with Keith Moon on it!

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Oh I think Neil would go with Who's Next in an instant. There's only one with Keith Moon on it!

Yes, great point!  I don't think well late at night :facepalm:

• Like 1

Both great, great records - but even the weakest songs on Who's Next (for me My Wife and Goin' Mobile) are still solid bangers.  Who's Next gets extra point for me because it's not even the fully realized thing it was supposed to be!  When you hear the songs that didn't make it...and bled out over other projects and as singles, you realize how on fire Townshend was.  Imagine having Pure and Easy, Relay, Too Much Of Anything, Mary, Join Together etc in the bag and they don't even make the cut because no one gets what you're on about with your concept.  And after that "failure", he writes Quadrophenia.  Insane.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Timbale said:

Both great, great records - but even the weakest songs on Who's Next (for me My Wife and Goin' Mobile) are still solid bangers.  Who's Next gets extra point for me because it's not even the fully realized thing it was supposed to be!  When you hear the songs that didn't make it...and bled out over other projects and as singles, you realize how on fire Townshend was.  Imagine having Pure and Easy, Relay, Too Much Of Anything, Mary, Join Together etc in the bag and they don't even make the cut because no one gets what you're on about with your concept.  And after that "failure", he writes Quadrophenia.  Insane.

Yes, I've always found that interesting that The Who was working on what was supposed to be a second rock opera and put it out this way instead.  Such a great album!  :heart:

• Like 4