Popular Bands You Don't Care For

Mr. Not

Just now, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Says the guy who will absolutely obsess over them when he's in the mood.

They deserve it! Great stuff, and I love love love love love Images And Words, Awake, Scenes and I really enjoy the last two albums. But something keeps them just a fraction below the bands that really mean everything to me.

Think Nightwish, Blind Guardian, Testament, Judas Pantera, Iron Maiden

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

They deserve it! Great stuff, and I love love love love love Images And Words, Awake, Scenes and I really enjoy the last two albums. But something keeps them just a fraction below the bands that really mean everything to me.

Think Nightwish, Blind Guardian, Testament, Judas Pantera, Iron Maiden

fair enough, they don't make my top 5 either

fair enough, they don't make my top 5 either

They are one of those bands bubbling under my absolute PEAK TIER LEVEL favourite bands/artists. The bubble under with the likes of No Doubt, Thrice, KillSwitch Engage, Saxon, Pat Benatar, Journey. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

They are one of those bands bubbling under my absolute PEAK TIER LEVEL favourite bands/artists. The bubble under with the likes of No Doubt, Thrice, KillSwitch Engage, Saxon, Pat Benatar, Journey. 

Last time I thought seriously about expanding my top 5 to a top ten, Dream Theater were the top contender for #6.

Last time I thought seriously about expanding my top 5 to a top ten, Dream Theater were the top contender for #6.

My top five bands right now:

Rush 

Blind Guardian 

Rhapsody 

In Flames 

Honestly? Probably ANTHRAX

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

My top five bands right now:

Rush 

Blind Guardian 

Rhapsody 

In Flames 

Honestly? Probably ANTHRAX

You always have such cool top lists. Mine is just filled with pretty mainstream bands:

1. Queen

2. Rush

3. Muse

4. Genesis

5. David Bowie

4 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

You always have such cool top lists. Mine is just filled with pretty mainstream bands:

1. Queen

2. Rush

3. Muse

4. Genesis

5. David Bowie

There are metal fans who make it very clear they think my tastes are corporate or really basic.

"Oh, you love In Flames. They ain't no Anaal Nakrath!"

For the record, you could love In Flames 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

1. Queen

2. Rush

3. Muse

4. Genesis

5. David Bowie

Try this:

https://youtu.be/GRiC35zeziU

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Okay two things:

1. That music video reeks of "someone told us we had to make a video, so here's a video"

2. That was pretty cool! I only listened on my laptop speakers, so I'll have to go back with headphones for the full effect, but I like the demented descending riff, and the vox were good.

12 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

1. Queen

2. Rush

3. Muse

4. Genesis

5. David Bowie

And this is off the same album, it's a power ballad

https://youtu.be/VKlGT8ZVTfQ

• Like 1

I'll get ENDLESS shit for this but.........Queensryche.

now.......let's not start with "but there's talent there"...............................................NO SHIT SHERLOCK!!!!!  i'm not denying any of that.  nor willi ever do so.  that is not a debate.

but.........i can't stand Geoff Tate's voice.  his endless warbling does me in.

And i know......they made the best concept record ever!!!!!!!!!  yay?  i'll get the champagne?

i don't pay attention to concepts in albums.

That's probably my biggest one people will not like.

:biggrin:

Mick

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

And this is off the same album, it's a power ballad

https://youtu.be/VKlGT8ZVTfQ

Oh man.... I really dug that... mmmmmm

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

now.......let's not start with "but there's talent there"...............................................NO SHIT SHERLOCK!!!!!  i'm not denying any of that.  nor willi ever do so.  that is not a debate.

And i know......they made the best concept record ever!!!!!!!!!  yay?  i'll get the champagne?

Mick

Hey at least you like Queen though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluefox4000 said:

Mick

Nah I've never cared for them either. Quite a few of the NWOBHM bands just don't hit right.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Oh man.... I really dug that... mmmmmm

In Flames are an amazing band that started off doing death metal massively influenced by Maiden. In the 2000s, they went somewhat mainstream but never in a predictable way. No band quite like them, even when they stumble a bit the music always has something to redeem them.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

In Flames are an amazing band that started off doing death metal massively influenced by Maiden. In the 2000s, they went somewhat mainstream but never in a predictable way. No band quite like them, even when they stumble a bit the music always has something to redeem them.

Adding to the list.

Led Zeppelin. I Don't dislike the band but I never understood the supernatural status they have with mainstream media critics and all the shitty music journalists who give them endless praise. There's endless books and documentaries praising them. The Beatles are the same. Not a very huge fan, I like some of their music and I did find the humble beginnings behind the band interesting. But the non stop books, documentaries, YouTube videos etc are irritating.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Also:

Halestorm (I really dislike the music but every time I see a picture of the lead singer with her mouth wide open posing like she's a hard bitch I roll my eyes so far back I go blind. If I was to go blind and read her name in braille, it would prompt me to burn my fingertips off.)

Completely agree with you...the only reason they get any attention imo is that Hale has an undeniably great voice.

However their music is cheesy, derivative and has terrible lyrics

It's the reason they do a plethora of covers, because they can't write any decent songs of their own.

Edited by Fridge

10 hours ago, Union 5-3992 said:

Bruce Springsteen (I've tried and tried and tried and I just can't get into him. I do like Nebraska but that's about it)

Kiss (For a lot of the reasons people said. Alive and Destroyer are fine).

U2 (Impossibly dull)

Jeff Beck (He has a couple fabulous records in the 70s but he's otherwise extremely dull. Saw him a few years ago and the highlight of the show was a cover of the Beatles)

The Clash (A few decent hits but otherwise nothing I ever feel like listening to again)

Eric Clapton (Total waste of time after Derek & the Dominoes. It's just safe sanitized blues for old white people. Absolutely no grit and no balls)

The Police

Dream Theater (I like some of their earlier stuff but I just can't get excited for their music. James LaBrie is just too much of an acquired taste. Which is odd considering a lot of the other bad singers I like. I probably find his most interesting thing to be the Ayreon album he did in the early 2000s).

Agreed, except the Springsteen stuff, although my wife agrees with you and I still keep her around.

Genesis is garbage, weird prog and pop prog.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Mick

Monkey Throwing Poop GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Mick

Most concept albums fall flat for me.  The Wall is a rare one that works, but Tommy?  No thanks.

• Like 1

Bon Jovi (I consider them "Nickelback" of the 80s, probably the worst kind of ultra-commercial 80s cheesy rock)

KISS (I like songs as Strutter and Black Diamond, but in general meh)

Motley Crue - not one song I like, I find their songwriting really lame

Ramones (I like Sheena is a Punk Rocker and that's it) 

Slayer (Seasons in the Abyss is their only "classic" album I like, dislike other classic albums)

Pantera (I like Cemetery Gates though)

Nirvana (musically they are average at best)

Korn (I like Blind and that's it)

Linkin Park 

Nicks-era Fleetwood Mac 

Brian-era AC/DC (not a big fan of Bon-era either but I can't stand Brian's vocals)

• Like 1