U2: Albums Elimination (Round 9, SECOND TO FINAL ROUND)

_hi_water._

21 members have voted

1. 1. Eliminate:

• War (1983)
    • The Joshua Tree (1987)
    • Achtung Baby (1991)

The Unforgettable Fire has been eliminated.

13. Songs Of innocence (2014)

12. Songs Of Experience (2017)

11. No Line On The Horizon (2009)

10. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (2004)

9. Pop (1997)

8. All That You Can't Leave Behind (2000)

7. Zooropa (1993)

6. October (1981)

5. Boy (1980)

4. The Unforgettable Fire (1984)

I really miss the days where I can go to a concert, get close to my fellow man, and enjoy the music. We'll return to that soon, fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Joshua Tree is a little less than stellar in the second half. War and Achtung are consistent start to finish.
  • Like 1

I'm voting War out.

I am, but it's nearly a coin toss between War and Achtung. Very different albums if listening objectively today, but had similar impact during their respective era of releases. War might be the more 'classic' release but Achtung was crammed full of catchy and innovative sounding songs for the time. If I put on a U2 record today it's Joshua Tree and/or Achtung Baby. I listened to War the other day for the first time in years due to this poll prompting my curiousity for re-exploration. It's got a few 'best of the 1980s' caliber tracks, and some solid deep cuts, but overall I objectively just don't enjoy it all that much. Reminds me of early Police versus later Police. One is good, one is great, and both are very different/difficult to measure. War launched them into the household name stratosphere, so I think there's nostalgia in that. Achtung being much later and different sours fans of earlier U2, but again being objective those differences are stark enough and Achtung such a 'mature' and clever album it just flat out wins for my ear time. I can't fault the votes to eliminate Achtung, but I don't think it's because the album is actually 'worse'.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

Although I was just shy of my 13th birthday when Boy came out, so they should have been in my wheelhouse, I didn't care for U2 before The Joshua Tree came out. Achtung Baby was the first album of theirs I liked enough to buy for myself. They've grown on me over the years, but for me Achtung Baby is number 1 by a lot.
  • Like 1

Personally, I would rank Boy ahead of both War and The Unforgettable Fire. And I'd move up All That You Can't Leave Behind before October and Zooropa. As for No. 1 and No. 2, I really don't care. It's a toss up between The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. With that said, Boy is my fav U2 album for sentimental reasons, I love that record.

I loved all the early angry Irish stuff they did. They kind of lost me around Zooropa, etc. But I love Joshua Tree for sentimental reasons and for some reason Songs of Innocence really sucked me back in and I saw that show from the rail and it was so fantastic. (Except for the crowd surge at the end when all the people who had been around the acoustic stage came back to the front stage and I got pushed around a bit)
  • Like 1

I'm voting War out.

What is it good for?

absolutely nothing

"say it again....."

Frankie Goes To Hollywood

Earl says relax

I'm voting War out.

What is it good for?

absolutely nothing

"say it again....."

Frankie Goes To Hollywood

Earl says relax

"When you wanna come"

For me U2 is a band that progressively became less interesting to me.

I'm not one of those people who only like early stuff. There are many bands who I think put out some of their best albums late

Not U2.

I actually rank them:

Boy

October

War

Joshua

The rest

• Like 1

For me U2 is a band that progressively became less interesting to me.

I'm not one of those people who only like early stuff. There are many bands who I think put out some of their best albums late

Not U2.

I actually rank them:

Boy

October

War

Joshua

The rest

Yes!

• Like 1

Although I was just shy of my 13th birthday when Boy came out, so they should have been in my wheelhouse, I didn't care for U2 before The Joshua Tree came out. Achtung Baby was the first album of theirs I liked enough to buy for myself. They've grown on me over the years, but for me Achtung Baby is number 1 by a lot.

Yep , I totally agree ! :-)

All 3 are good and I can't easily pick between them. Different phases of U2 or am I swayed by the artwork when I say that?

New Years Day, Sunday BS and maybe Two Hearts are obviously the well known on War and I don't remember the other tracks too much without having a listen.

Bit like that with Achtung too.

But the deep cuts (?) like Bullet the blue sky, Red Hill Mining Town, In God's Country and One Tree Hill on Joshua are a joy to listen to before I even get to the hits. Maybe that tips Joshua for me...slightly.

Edited by Malignant Narcissist
  • Like 2