Christmas Song vs. Song: Happy X-Mas (War Is Over) vs. Wonderful Christmastime JOHN VS PAUL!

Entre_Perpetuo

choose one  

16 members have voted

1. 1. song

• John Lennon - Happy X-Mas (War Is Over)
    • Paul McCartney - Wonderful Christmastime
  2. 2. nearby album

• John Lennon - Imagine
    • Paul McCartney - McCartney II
  3. 3. Beatle

Both songs are pretty awful, but the first is less cloying.

Imagine may be the worst song of all time, certainly lyrically, so McCartney II wins because of its inclusion on its competition

Lennon wins overall, too much schmaltz with Paul.

• Like 1

Imagine may be the worst song of all time, certainly lyrically, so McCartney II wins because of its inclusion on its competition

I guess if enough people think something is the best of all time, someone's bound to think it's the worst. Dang! Lol

I guess if enough people think something is the best of all time, someone's bound to think it's the worst. Dang! Lol

Its a sentiment that's led to the most suffering and killing in human history, so it's hard to imagine anything worse.

Its a sentiment that's led to the most suffering and killing in human history, so it's hard to imagine anything worse.

I'm not following. Maybe this is going to get too SCONish, but how does a song proclaiming nothing but peace, love, and equality have a sentiment that produces violence and suffering?

I'm not following. Maybe this is going to get too SCONish, but how does a song proclaiming nothing but peace, love, and equality have a sentiment that produces violence and suffering?

41USxDeP6EL._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_FMwebp_.jpg

This is conflating things too simply -- or, this is like equating Christianity to witch hunts and religious wars, and ignoring all the soup kitchens, charity, and cathedrals.

Too much schmaltz is exactly how I see Paul. My first solid memory of him was this, so what chance did he ever have with me?

• Like 1

That image isn't showing up for me. :huh:

This is conflating things too simply -- or, this is like equating Christianity to witch hunts and religious wars, and ignoring all the soup kitchens, charity, and cathedrals.

I appreciate architecture of cathedrals, give to charity and enjoy a nice bowl of soup too, you know :coy:
  • Like 1

I appreciate architecture of cathedrals, give to charity and enjoy a nice bowl of soup too, you know :coy:

Yes, of course! Even heathens might do something nice accidentally! ;)

Goodness isn't the property of any one group or creed . . . I was trying to find an analogy wherein absolutes distort the picture, and trying to stick up for peace, love, and understanding (I know that's not "Imagine," but it's a great list!).

• Like 1

Goodness isn't the property of any one group or creed . . . I was trying to find an analogy wherein absolutes distort the picture, and trying to stick up for peace, love, and understanding (I know that's not "Imagine," but it's a great list!).

The funniest thing about "Imagine" is that I heard a bizarre medley of it and "Save All Your Kisses For Me" by Brotherhood of Man at a club, many years ago, and that stylistic mix... hmmm... not sure any song could recover from such a heinous blow.
  • Like 1

http://youtu.be/Ssd3U_zicAI

As far the two Christmas tunes go. John's wins. Paul's is highly annoying.

Mccartney II is far more interesting. never thought Imagine was THAT great. i mean it is a fine album but not amazing.

And paul's solo career just obliterates lennon for me.

Mick

• Like 1

I`ll never vote for "Pual" :eh:

You made me laugh out loud! Just because, when we were very young, my parents had a few Beatle albums. We were in school one day and heard all the rumors about Paul is dead! My sister was really little but was upset and took a big black marker and wrote "Pual is dead! Pual is dead!" all over the album covers. :lol: I think I kept one around just to give her a hard time. :lol:

• Like 3