Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

Just now, bluefox4000 said:

that's my 2nd fav GD album. 

honesly speaking about AI it's probably 5th or 6th on my list.

i love it but not even close to my fav.

Mick

I think it's my second favorite as well!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

I'm not even a fan of his but if someone doesn't get why this song was the lead single then they don't understand what makes a hit song because Dancing In The Dark has everything a song could need to be huge. Also, it came out when MTV was at it's height of popularity and the song was perfect for them to rotate the video constantly. Definitely a made for MTV kind of song.

I guess I don't understand what makes a song a hit then.  Ah well, thats not so bad actually.  For me Dancing in the Dark was lightweight fluff.  Not even lightweight fluff that I could sing along with.  That would be fun enough.  I can enjoy some good cheesy sing along lyrics.  I just could not really even sing along with it.  Born In The USA, now that had passion to it.  It had depth.  It had a message.  It had emotion.  Heck, it had a history lesson in it!!  I remember that I was shocked that people my age (I was 18 when the album came out) were like "Whats Kae San?  What are the VC?"  It shocked me that kids did not know that - then again I am a bit of a history buff so I would appreciate that stuff.  Seriously though.  It was the anger and passion to it that really pulled me in.  That made it authentic & something I could sing along with..  Dancing in the Dark?  Might as well listen to Rod Stewart.  Give me something that is genuine - most of the time (once in a while cheese fluff is nice).  Esp. since their is plenty of fluff out there.

Even if you go beyond Born in The USA, there are other songs I would have picked over Dancing in the Dark.  Glory Days - good sing along song, no history lesson so its simpler for folks.  That would have been a better first single (IMO)

12 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Exactly!

Also, I don't like the album version of the title track. I far prefer how it was originally written, which was acoustic and in vein with his work on Nebraska. 

Not a favourite album of mine, but it's still very important.

I did not know that the title track was originally written as an acoustic song.  Interesting - that would be kind of neat to hear.  Thanks for that bit of historical trivia.

20 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

I guess I don't understand what makes a song a hit then.  Ah well, thats not so bad actually.  For me Dancing in the Dark was lightweight fluff.  Not even lightweight fluff that I could sing along with.  That would be fun enough.  I can enjoy some good cheesy sing along lyrics.  I just could not really even sing along with it.  Born In The USA, now that had passion to it.  It had depth.  It had a message.  It had emotion.  Heck, it had a history lesson in it!!  I remember that I was shocked that people my age (I was 18 when the album came out) were like "Whats Kae San?  What are the VC?"  It shocked me that kids did not know that - then again I am a bit of a history buff so I would appreciate that stuff.  Seriously though.  It was the anger and passion to it that really pulled me in.  That made it authentic & something I could sing along with..  Dancing in the Dark?  Might as well listen to Rod Stewart.  Give me something that is genuine - most of the time (once in a while cheese fluff is nice).  Esp. since their is plenty of fluff out there.

Even if you go beyond Born in The USA, there are other songs I would have picked over Dancing in the Dark.  Glory Days - good sing along song, no history lesson so its simpler for folks.  That would have been a better first single (IMO)

You pretty much covered it when you said Dancing In The Dark is lightweight fluff. That's exactly what it takes to have a massive hit song. Songs like that are perfect lead singles that draw people in. After they're hooked with the mass appeal tune then the label can release the song with passion and a message.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

You pretty much covered it when you said Dancing In The Dark is lightweight fluff. That's exactly what it takes to have a massive hit song. Songs like that are perfect lead singles that draw people in. After they're hooked with the mass appeal tune then the label can release the song with passion and a message.

Got it.  Thanks for clearing that up for me.  

10 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

I did not know that the title track was originally written as an acoustic song.  Interesting - that would be kind of neat to hear.  Thanks for that bit of historical trivia.

It's available to hear on the box set Tracks! A great set, highly recommended 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

Black Sabbath - Vol 4.

Strangely I did not go crazy for this one either.  Another one that will get put away not to be listened to again for a long time.

I'm really not sure why I don't love Black Sabbath. They just don't do much for me. I madly respect them, but I far prefer Deep Purple, who dropped classic after classic that I personally can get into.

Oh well. I'm not keen on solo Ozzy either. And while we are at it, Alice Cooper. Absolutely no rhyme or reason, just what it is. 

I do like Masters Of Reality though. And nothing about Black Sabbath is bad, just isn't infectiously enjoyable the way I see they are for others.

UFO - Strangers in the Night

Without doubt one of the finest live rock albums ever produced despite the post production disagreements between Phil Mogg and Michael Schenker.

UFO never quite reached the big time, but I have seen them in concert on at least 3 occasions between 1985 and 2010 and they're always good value.

Doctor, Doctor

Lights Out

Only You Can Rock Me

Love to Love

And best of all, Rock Bottom with Schenker at the top of his game!

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

I'm really not sure why I don't love Black Sabbath. They just don't do much for me. I madly respect them, but I far prefer Deep Purple, who dropped classic after classic that I personally can get into.

Oh well. I'm not keen on solo Ozzy either. And while we are at it, Alice Cooper. Absolutely no rhyme or reason, just what it is. 

I do like Masters Of Reality though. And nothing about Black Sabbath is bad, just isn't infectiously enjoyable the way I see they are for others.

Makes me confused you don't like Alice.  his schtick id campy horror rock, lol

You continue to be a rubix cube on legs, lol 

Mick

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

Black Sabbath - Vol 4.

Strangely I did not go crazy for this one either.  Another one that will get put away not to be listened to again for a long time.

Fascinating.  This and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath are heavy and complex at the same time.  I personally like this better than SBS.  It might be my second favorite Ozzy era album.

• Like 1

Bob Dylan-Another Side.....(10/10)

it's easy to fall into hype with Dylan and be just be a gushing idiot.  I won't say everything he recorded is gold.....there is some utter shit.  But i will say this when he is on point to me there may be none better to play the game.  Argue the point all you want for pop stars like swift in the present.  but there's not a single song in her canon as gorgeous as Ballad in Plain D. no not a chance......ever, lol.

Mick

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Makes me confused you don't like Alice.  his schtick id campy horror rock, lol

You continue to be a rubix cube on legs, lol 

Mick

I love live recordings and videos! His music rules onstage!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Fascinating.  This and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath are heavy and complex at the same time.  I personally like this better than SBS.  It might be my second favorite Ozzy era album.

Vol 4 is probably my least favorite Sabbath album of the ones I’ve heard. Granted I’ve only heard good Sabbath albums, but I rank it below the other first 6, and the first 3 Dio era albums. I haven’t heard 13 in a long time but I bet I’d have 13 over it and the debut too. 

25 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Vol 4 is probably my least favorite Sabbath album of the ones I’ve heard. Granted I’ve only heard good Sabbath albums, but I rank it below the other first 6, and the first 3 Dio era albums. I haven’t heard 13 in a long time but I bet I’d have 13 over it and the debut too. 

There's only 3 Dio era albums anyways. Unless you're talking about Live Evil. 13 is a nice little reunion/final album but really doesn't have much on those first six Sabbath albums. Ozzy's studio magic voice (something that's been happening since at least Ozzmosis) on it takes away a lot of the rawness and genuine emotion he used to have in it which really added a lot to the overall quality and feel of those albums.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

There's only 3 Dio era albums anyways. Unless you're talking about Live Evil. 13 is a nice little reunion/final album but really doesn't have much on those first six Sabbath albums. Ozzy's studio magic voice (something that's been happening since at least Ozzmosis) on it takes away a lot of the rawness and genuine emotion he used to have in it which really added a lot to the overall quality and feel of those albums.

I remember really liking it a lot when it came out. The songwriting was really good. But again I haven’t heard it in ages. There is a fourth Dio album isn’t there? It’s just not credited to Black Sabbath, it’s just called Heaven And Hell, but it’s really just the 4th Dio lineup album. Isn’t it?

• Like 1

ORZABAL,ROLAND - Tomcats Screaming Outside - Amazon.com Music

Simply one of the greatest pop rock songwriters of all time. Incredible voice too, underrated in all aspects. D'Virgilio SHINES on this album as well

It's a shame he doesnt have more music but I guess it's good in the sense that theres no room for bad music when it comes to Roland

2 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I remember really liking it a lot when it came out. The songwriting was really good. But again I haven’t heard it in ages. There is a fourth Dio album isn’t there? It’s just not credited to Black Sabbath, it’s just called Heaven And Hell, but it’s really just the 4th Dio lineup album. Isn’t it?

Yes, even though it wasn't labeled Black Sabbath, The Devil You Know is pretty much a Sabbath album. The song writing is very good on 13 but TDYK I think is a better album. You can tell Dio is actually singing in his own voice, that helps a lot.

• Like 2

• The topic was locked