Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

1 minute ago, bluefox4000 said:

i just like teasing folks about bands/albums i personally don't like.  in reality i don't care one bit, lol.  like what you like.

Mick

Same. I didn't mean "plastic" to sound bad at all so tried to break down what I meant. 

I think "plastic" describes 2000s pop rock production very well? Sometimes it works (Bleed American) other times it f***ing sucks (Shallow Life).

• Like 2

Taylor Swift- Lover 

This album deserves to be a 10/10 just for Cruel Summer.

I said what I said.

2 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I must admit lockdown really lead me to embrace poppier music. I needed the Taylor's and the Carey's and the Killers in that time.

I'm surprised you dislike Taylor so much, I see she and Hayley as very similar writers. Both crossover in style often.

Some old biases die hard. I dislike her music because I've never found myself liking it. The older songs sound too much like Disney Channel for me to take seriously. ...yeah ik ik about literally the discussion we were just having about plastic mall emo. Idk, my sisters watched a lot of Disney Channel when we were kids and I would have groaned if a Taylor Swift song was played in a show vs a Paramore song, aside from maybe The Only Exception, though I wouldn't have batted an eye at either being played in the first place. The big hits when she started going really pop coincided with my entry into becoming a music nerd in those most snobby of early days (back when I didn't think anything post 1991 was worth listening to). I've cooled or flipped on most of those old opinions, but was one of the artists I disliked the most at the time, so those feelings have a lot of inertia to deal with. As for her newer stuff, Reputation came out right when my music taste was really broadening in a major way, so I checked the singles out and still wasn't enthused. I thought they were very interesting, but in the kind of way that made me want to examine why I thought they didn't work. I even did a parody of one of them for a school thing, just because I knew people would know it and I found it kinda of fascinating, even though I didn't particularly enjoy it. By the time Lover came out I was down a good few different other rabbit holes, and re-embracing top 40 pop just wasn't in the cards, plus I really hated ME (though I gather everyone did). And with her indie folk albums, I tried Folklore  on your recommendation and didn't find it anything to write home about. I didn't hate it mind you. I just felt kinda bored. Maybe I'll revisit that one one day. 

Oh and as for the new one, well I haven't heard a note of it but there's so much hype in both directions that I don't really want to, at least not right now. My biases will just blow a fuse in my head.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Some old biases die hard. I dislike her music because I've never found myself liking it. The older songs sound too much like Disney Channel for me to take seriously. ...yeah ik ik about literally the discussion we were just having about plastic mall emo. Idk, my sisters watched a lot of Disney Channel when we were kids and I would have groaned if a Taylor Swift song was played in a show vs a Paramore song, aside from maybe The Only Exception, though I wouldn't have batted an eye at either being played in the first place. The big hits when she started going really pop coincided with my entry into becoming a music nerd in those most snobby of early days (back when I didn't think anything post 1991 was worth listening to). I've cooled or flipped on most of those old opinions, but was one of the artists I disliked the most at the time, so those feelings have a lot of inertia to deal with. As for her newer stuff, Reputation came out right when my music taste was really broadening in a major way, so I checked the singles out and still wasn't enthused. I thought they were very interesting, but in the kind of way that made me want to examine why I thought they didn't work. I even did a parody of one of them for a school thing, just because I knew people would know it and I found it kinda of fascinating, even though I didn't particularly enjoy it. By the time Lover came out I was down a good few different other rabbit holes, and re-embracing top 40 pop just wasn't in the cards, plus I really hated ME (though I gather everyone did). And with her indie folk albums, I tried Folklore  on your recommendation and didn't find it anything to write home about. I didn't hate it mind you. I just felt kinda bored. Maybe I'll revisit that one one day. 

Oh and as for the new one, well I haven't heard a note of it but there's so much hype in both directions that I don't really want to, at least not right now. My biases will just blow a fuse in my head.

BUT YOU LISTEN TO MUSE WHO HAVEN'T RELEASED A GOOD SONG SINCE 1872

13 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Same. I didn't mean "plastic" to sound bad at all so tried to break down what I meant. 

I think "plastic" describes 2000s pop rock production very well? Sometimes it works (Bleed American) other times it f***ing sucks (Shallow Life).

I see how you mean it now. It just struck me as having a bad connotation at first.

Just now, Segue Myles said:

BUT YOU LISTEN TO MUSE WHO HAVEN'T RELEASED A GOOD SONG SINCE 1872

AND I SHALL CONTINUE TO! EVEN IF THEY RECORD ACTUAL GARBAGE WITH MATT'S FALSETTO OVER IT! :poke:

Just now, Entre_Perpetuo said:

AND I SHALL CONTINUE TO! EVEN IF THEY RECORD ACTUAL GARBAGE WITH MATT'S FALSETTO OVER IT! :poke:

YOU MUST HAVE SKIPPED THE LAST THREE/FOUR ALBUMS THEN.

YOU MUST HAVE SKIPPED THE LAST THREE/FOUR ALBUMS THEN.

Oh I was there baby! I've been there for every minute of every song since 2012! :7up:

Oh I was there baby! I've been there for every minute of every song since 2012! :7up:

Genuinely think the only way to improve Muse at this point is for the world to end, the hate for them extinguished by all trace of life ending once and for all.

Well either that or they actually do something with soul.

Genuinely think the only way to improve Muse at this point is for the world to end, the hate for them extinguished by all trace of life ending once and for all.

Well either that or they actually do something with soul.

Lol

I mean look, I know exactly what you're talking about here. They were basically a different band before The Resistance.  I think the difference honestly has been that major success brought them the studio time and resources to chase every crazy and every stupid musical idea to its logical conclusion, and that's a game all three of them really enjoy playing.  They just don't have Fury and Take A Bow in them anymore, and I'm okay with that because I genuinely love hearing them goof off in the studio.

5 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Lol

I mean look, I know exactly what you're talking about here. They were basically a different band before The Resistance.  I think the difference honestly has been that major success brought them the studio time and resources to chase every crazy and every stupid musical idea to its logical conclusion, and that's a game all three of them really enjoy playing.  They just don't have Fury and Take A Bow in them anymore, and I'm okay with that because I genuinely love hearing them goof off in the studio.

I was poking the bear 🤣 

The fan division with Muse is exactly the same with In Flames. Trust me, I'm like you defending them, even when I can hear that erm...it is not their glory days.

I also just straight up enjoy it all. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I was poking the bear 🤣 

The fan division with Muse is exactly the same with In Flames. Trust me, I'm like you defending them, even when I can hear that erm...it is not their glory days.

I also just straight up enjoy it all. 

Oh, lol. Well anyway... I checked out that Saosin song you posted, and something by Circa Survive before it! This was like... a half hour ago now or something, but I liked them!

Oh, lol. Well anyway... I checked out that Saosin song you posted, and something by Circa Survive before it! This was like... a half hour ago now or something, but I liked them!

How do you find the vocals? Circa Survive are really creative. 

Not sure how to categorise them really.

12 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

How do you find the vocals? Circa Survive are really creative. 

Not sure how to categorise them really.

I liked them. They didn't seem especially unusual to me, maybe I picked the wrong song. But I thought they were really good.

4 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I liked them. They didn't seem especially unusual to me, maybe I picked the wrong song. But I thought they were really good.

Chances are I'm muddling the vocals with other bands. It's been too long since I played them!

Chances are I'm muddling the vocals with other bands. It's been too long since I played them!

Yeah they seemed pretty normal to me, though definitely on the higher pitched side. Like Coheed.

Weezer - OK Human

most of Tegan And Sara - The Con

Liz Phair - Exile In Guyville

James Taylor - October Road

Of Monsters And Men - My Head Is An Animal

Yes - Time And A Word

David Bowie - Metrobolist

• Like 2

Monday to Thursday:

Macseal - Macseal EP 

Macseal - Yeah, No, I Know EP

Macseal - Map It Out EP 

Macseal - Super Enthusiast (Vinyl)

Flor - Future Shine

The Band Camino - The Band Camino

Weezer - SZNZ: Winter

Weezer - SZNZ: Autumn 

Weezer - SZNZ: Summer 

Weezer - SZNZ: Spring

Weezer - SZNZ: Winter

11 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

On Letting Go is a masterpiece, but I have a soft spot for Juturna, the debut.

They are like a more esoteric Coheed And Cambria. They came out of the really creative side of 2000s emo (ignore the plastic emo of crap like Fall Out Boy, Paramore, All Americaan Rejects etc, the genre truly has highly talented, insanely overlooked bands).

I shall delve deeper into Circa Survive over the holiday period.

Machine Head- The Burning Red 

In Flames- Come Clarity

TBR really isn't bad. In fact of their pre- Ashes discography, I'd rank it second to Burn My Eyes. The rap elements don't cheapen the sound, which is very unusual in metal.

• Like 1

In Flames- Battles 

A bit of an odd one. I both love it to death and think it's one of their worst albums. So slick and commercial, it works, until you remember that In Flames are better than this. Great for emo fans. That's not a diss, it genuinely is.

• The topic was locked