The 2021 MLB Season Thread! Tatis Jr. Is A Stud! A's Padres World Series! Place Your Betts! LOL!

RUSHHEAD666

https://deadspin.com...rime-1836210139

I have to be honest, if I heard about this before I didn't remember it. But from the article above, he sounds like a standup guy trying to make the best of a horrible situation by doing right by his grandchildren and not making excuses for his POS son. Of course, he's writing this and he may be spinning or even outright lying. But he seems pretty devastated and while the disruption to his life pales in comparison to the young woman who lost her life and her parents and children, I read this and felt sympathy for him; it has to haunt you every day of your life that someone you raised was capable of this and make it extremely difficult to go on.

And my view is if you f**k up that bad raising your kid you shouldn't get a crack at another kid. There were articles at the time of the murder saying that Remy was never the best father. He enabled and covered for the kid every step of the way. I was stunned the Red Sox didn't quietly show him the door. They actually fired his broadcast partner instead.

You have the benefit of hindsight, knowing that eventually his son killed the child's mother. At the time, I suspect Remy did what most fathers would do, try to help minimize the damage to his son, because he didn't know the outcome. It's not like, say, the Laundrie family, who appears to have helped their son escape after he obviously had done something to his fiancé. And I totally disagree that if your child does something horrific, it is definitely a reflection of your parenting.

It wasn't an isolated event. His son had been a ticking time bomb for a long time. From the Globe:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/03/22/remy/xFRaOQqrnZ1S1pfLa2eKgK/story.html

I have to be honest, if I heard about this before I didn't remember it. But from the article above, he sounds like a standup guy trying to make the best of a horrible situation by doing right by his grandchildren and not making excuses for his POS son. Of course, he's writing this and he may be spinning or even outright lying. But he seems pretty devastated and while the disruption to his life pales in comparison to the young woman who lost her life and her parents and children, I read this and felt sympathy for him; it has to haunt you every day of your life that someone you raised was capable of this and make it extremely difficult to go on.

And my view is if you f**k up that bad raising your kid you shouldn't get a crack at another kid. There were articles at the time of the murder saying that Remy was never the best father. He enabled and covered for the kid every step of the way. I was stunned the Red Sox didn't quietly show him the door. They actually fired his broadcast partner instead.

You have the benefit of hindsight, knowing that eventually his son killed the child's mother. At the time, I suspect Remy did what most fathers would do, try to help minimize the damage to his son, because he didn't know the outcome. It's not like, say, the Laundrie family, who appears to have helped their son escape after he obviously had done something to his fiancé. And I totally disagree that if your child does something horrific, it is definitely a reflection of your parenting.

It wasn't an isolated event. His son had been a ticking time bomb for a long time. From the Globe:

https://www.bostongl...eKgK/story.html

I'm aware that his son had other offenses. That's what I'm talking about. You have the whole picture now. But back then, when his son was pinched for various offenses, Remy couldn't have known for certain his son would be a murderer.

I'm aware that his son had other offenses. That's what I'm talking about. You have the whole picture now. But back then, when his son was pinched for various offenses, Remy couldn't have known for certain his son would be a murderer.

Did you actually read the article? It should have been obvious to anyone close to him. You say he got pinched like he was caught running an illegal poker table.

Edited by edhunter

Dodgers v. Giants...........MY favorite baseball rivalry ever. Go Bums!

Prob series IM most interested in now, except wanting Atlanta to lose.

Classic CA matchup.

Im pulling for LA because I dont want Kapler to win lol. But hoping for a competitive series.

Did you actually read the article? It should have been obvious to anyone close to him. You say he got pinched like he was caught running an illegal poker table.

On August 7, 1998, Remy was arrested on charges of domestic violence and malicious destruction of property after he assaulted Guyette while she held their child, and damaged her car. On October 21, Judge Gregory C. Flynn of the Waltham District Court granted a "continuance without a finding," (also known as "CWOF"), meaning that Remy was required to make an admission to allegations that would support a finding of guilt on the record, following which he was placed on probation. If he violated his probation, he could be found guilty and sentenced, but if he successfully completed his probation, the case would be dismissed, and no formal finding of guilt would ever be entered on his record. Remy was ordered as conditions of his probation to attend counseling, check in regularly with a probation officer, and stay out of trouble for one year.

On October 9, 1999, just two weeks before his probation was set to end, Remy became enraged after learning that Guyette was spending time with one of his old high school friends, Erik Jackiewicz. According to Guyette, Jackiewicz, and Dedham District Court records, Remy drove to Jackiewicz's Norwood apartment, and smashed a beer bottle over his head. Once again, Remy was let go with a CWOF, despite violation of his previous "CWOF."

In 2000, Remy moved into an apartment with his new girlfriend, and a roommate who was a friend of his from the Gifford School. On March 25, 2000, Remy's roommate requested a restraining order against Remy. He said that Remy had barged into his place of employment, blamed him for his latest breakup, boasted of having a gun, and threatened to kill him.The roommate decided not to complete the request for a restraining order, but instead asked police to tell Remy to leave him alone. He also told police that they could find steroids in Remy's closet. The police went to the apartment and, with Remy's consent, searched his closet. Inside, they found a gym bag containing "several hunting knives", and a baggie holding nine uncapped syringes, but no drugs.

On April 3, 2000, Remy called Waltham police and asked for help with an unwanted person report. Officers arrived to the scene and found Remy "yelling and screaming" at his mother through her car window. Remy grew more belligerent, and when an officer approached Remy to ask him a question, Remy elbowed him in the stomach area. He was arrested and charged with disturbing the peace.

On April 4, 2000, Remy's girlfriend filed a criminal complaint against Remy for making threats. According to her, Remy repeatedly called her that weekend to profess his love for her and threatened to "kill her if they don't get back together". She did not appear in court, and Remy's attorney, Peter Bella, had the case referred out for a magistrate's hearing. The hearing was rescheduled four times before being dismissed.

On May 3, 2000 he was charged with possessing a hypodermic needle.

In 2000, Guyette was granted sole custody of her and Remy's child, and Remy was not allowed to take the child out alone. According to her attorney, the court-appointed guardian that investigated the child's welfare found that "Jared was not doing what the court asked, that his parents were enabling him, and that Tiffany was the better parent". On January 21, 2001, Remy called Guyette and asked if he could take their son to a birthday party for the child of his new girlfriend. Guyette refused, and Remy threatened to kill her and her boyfriend. Guyette filed a restraining order against him that day. The case went to trial on June 1, 2001. Guyette was prepared to testify, and the prosecution asked for three months in jail with three months suspended. Although Remy admitted to threatening Guyette and the judge, Neil Walker, admitted that probation did not seem to be working for Remy, and the case was continued without a finding of guilt on condition that Remy should remain in counseling and not violate the law any further. (Guyette lost custody in 2007, after the Remys prevailed in a second case, brought at a time Guyette was in another abusive relationship.).

On April 9, 2001 he was charged with striking a man with a bottle.

In 2001, Remy began dating 21-year-old Waltham mother, Ryan McMahon. At least eight times during their relationship, police reported claims that Remy harassed, threatened, or physically abused her. In restraining-order affidavits, she alleged that Remy was using steroids, cocaine, painkillers, marijuana, and alcohol. She refused to testify against Remy, which made prosecution difficult. On September 18, 2002, Remy was charged with threatening to kill her. On July 3, 2003, McMahon told police that he had threatened to kill her several times over the preceding week, and then confronted her at work, where he punched her in the back. He was arrested on July 4. He quickly posted bail, and as soon as he was released, he used his cell phone to call McMahon and threaten her, which resulted in additional charges. On July 7, Judge Gregory C. Flynn released Remy on a $500 bail, paid by his mother, Phoebe Remy, on the condition that he move back into his parents' home and observe a curfew, keeping him indoors from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. while awaiting trial.

On December 19, 2002, Remy's ex-roommate filed restraining order against him after Remy allegedly attacked him and his father.

On March 7, 2003, Remy was charged with hitting one of McMahon's closest girlfriends in the head with a bottle at a bar.

In July 2004, Remy was charged with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon after he hit McMahon in the face with a cordless phone. His mother, Phoebe, posted his bail, again worth $500.[6]

On August 2, 2004, Remy was charged with vandalism after McMahon found him cutting up her clothes and pictures with scissors. He was released on a $500 bail with the agreement of the prosecutors, who insisted that Remy should find a job. Remy was hired by the Red Sox to work as a security guard at Fenway Park.

On November 7, 2005 police responded to a domestic disturbance at Remy's home in Waltham, Massachusetts. Police stated that Remy had grabbed McMahon by her hair, dragged her down the stairs, threw her to the ground, threw a cell phone at her, and kicked her in the back, stomach, and face. She was beaten so badly, that she suffered a broken nose, a bloodied lip, and had a welt around one eye. She was taken to Newton-Wellesley Hospital. Remy was arrested at his father's home in Weston, Massachusetts, and charged with assault, battery, and resisting arrest. Remy admitted to police that he had "slapped her around", but dismissed the likely consequences as just "another year of probation". At his arraignment the next morning, Remy ignored the restraining order against him, and walked up to McMahon, accusing her of cheating. When she forced him to look at her bruised face, he put his head down, blamed "the Anadrol", and said that he was sorry, and that he was going to miss her. On November 10, 2005, Remy was charged with violating the restraining order. Judge Flynn remanded Remy to jail, as he deemed it necessary for McMahon's safety. Six days later, McMahon returned to court and asked to have the restraining order lifted. Remy's attorney requested Remy to be released and allowed to resume living with McMahon on the conditions they pursue couples counseling and Remy work on his anger management, but the judge ruled against it. While in jail, Remy was said to have traded his father's autograph in exchange for favors, such as having his back shaved. Remy later pleaded guilty, and received two years' probation. After his release from jail, Remy returned to his job at Fenway Park.

On January 31, 2011, Remy was charged with driving with a suspended license.

No one's arguing Jared's anything but a bad person. But you're arguing that Jerry is somehow a bad person because of these things.

On August 7, 1998, Remy was arrested on charges of domestic violence and malicious destruction of property after he assaulted Guyette while she held their child, and damaged her car. On October 21, Judge Gregory C. Flynn of the Waltham District Court granted a "continuance without a finding," (also known as "CWOF"), meaning that Remy was required to make an admission to allegations that would support a finding of guilt on the record, following which he was placed on probation. If he violated his probation, he could be found guilty and sentenced, but if he successfully completed his probation, the case would be dismissed, and no formal finding of guilt would ever be entered on his record. Remy was ordered as conditions of his probation to attend counseling, check in regularly with a probation officer, and stay out of trouble for one year.

On October 9, 1999, just two weeks before his probation was set to end, Remy became enraged after learning that Guyette was spending time with one of his old high school friends, Erik Jackiewicz. According to Guyette, Jackiewicz, and Dedham District Court records, Remy drove to Jackiewicz's Norwood apartment, and smashed a beer bottle over his head. Once again, Remy was let go with a CWOF, despite violation of his previous "CWOF."

In 2000, Remy moved into an apartment with his new girlfriend, and a roommate who was a friend of his from the Gifford School. On March 25, 2000, Remy's roommate requested a restraining order against Remy. He said that Remy had barged into his place of employment, blamed him for his latest breakup, boasted of having a gun, and threatened to kill him.The roommate decided not to complete the request for a restraining order, but instead asked police to tell Remy to leave him alone. He also told police that they could find steroids in Remy's closet. The police went to the apartment and, with Remy's consent, searched his closet. Inside, they found a gym bag containing "several hunting knives", and a baggie holding nine uncapped syringes, but no drugs.

On April 3, 2000, Remy called Waltham police and asked for help with an unwanted person report. Officers arrived to the scene and found Remy "yelling and screaming" at his mother through her car window. Remy grew more belligerent, and when an officer approached Remy to ask him a question, Remy elbowed him in the stomach area. He was arrested and charged with disturbing the peace.

On April 4, 2000, Remy's girlfriend filed a criminal complaint against Remy for making threats. According to her, Remy repeatedly called her that weekend to profess his love for her and threatened to "kill her if they don't get back together". She did not appear in court, and Remy's attorney, Peter Bella, had the case referred out for a magistrate's hearing. The hearing was rescheduled four times before being dismissed.

In 2000, Guyette was granted sole custody of her and Remy's child, and Remy was not allowed to take the child out alone. According to her attorney, the court-appointed guardian that investigated the child's welfare found that "Jared was not doing what the court asked, that his parents were enabling him, and that Tiffany was the better parent". On January 21, 2001, Remy called Guyette and asked if he could take their son to a birthday party for the child of his new girlfriend. Guyette refused, and Remy threatened to kill her and her boyfriend. Guyette filed a restraining order against him that day. The case went to trial on June 1, 2001. Guyette was prepared to testify, and the prosecution asked for three months in jail with three months suspended. Although Remy admitted to threatening Guyette and the judge, Neil Walker, admitted that probation did not seem to be working for Remy, and the case was continued without a finding of guilt on condition that Remy should remain in counseling and not violate the law any further. (Guyette lost custody in 2007, after the Remys prevailed in a second case, brought at a time Guyette was in another abusive relationship.).

In 2001, Remy began dating 21-year-old Waltham mother, Ryan McMahon. At least eight times during their relationship, police reported claims that Remy harassed, threatened, or physically abused her. In restraining-order affidavits, she alleged that Remy was using steroids, cocaine, painkillers, marijuana, and alcohol. She refused to testify against Remy, which made prosecution difficult. On September 18, 2002, Remy was charged with threatening to kill her. On July 3, 2003, McMahon told police that he had threatened to kill her several times over the preceding week, and then confronted her at work, where he punched her in the back. He was arrested on July 4. He quickly posted bail, and as soon as he was released, he used his cell phone to call McMahon and threaten her, which resulted in additional charges. On July 7, Judge Gregory C. Flynn released Remy on a $500 bail, paid by his mother, Phoebe Remy, on the condition that he move back into his parents' home and observe a curfew, keeping him indoors from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. while awaiting trial.

On December 19, 2002, Remy's ex-roommate filed restraining order against him after Remy allegedly attacked him and his father.

On March 7, 2003, Remy was charged with hitting one of McMahon's closest girlfriends in the head with a bottle at a bar.

In July 2004, Remy was charged with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon after he hit McMahon in the face with a cordless phone. His mother, Phoebe, posted his bail, again worth $500.[6]

On August 2, 2004, Remy was charged with vandalism after McMahon found him cutting up her clothes and pictures with scissors. He was released on a $500 bail with the agreement of the prosecutors, who insisted that Remy should find a job. Remy was hired by the Red Sox to work as a security guard at Fenway Park.

On November 7, 2005 police responded to a domestic disturbance at Remy's home in Waltham, Massachusetts. Police stated that Remy had grabbed McMahon by her hair, dragged her down the stairs, threw her to the ground, threw a cell phone at her, and kicked her in the back, stomach, and face. She was beaten so badly, that she suffered a broken nose, a bloodied lip, and had a welt around one eye. She was taken to Newton-Wellesley Hospital. Remy was arrested at his father's home in Weston, Massachusetts, and charged with assault, battery, and resisting arrest. Remy admitted to police that he had "slapped her around", but dismissed the likely consequences as just "another year of probation". At his arraignment the next morning, Remy ignored the restraining order against him, and walked up to McMahon, accusing her of cheating. When she forced him to look at her bruised face, he put his head down, blamed "the Anadrol", and said that he was sorry, and that he was going to miss her. On November 10, 2005, Remy was charged with violating the restraining order. Judge Flynn remanded Remy to jail, as he deemed it necessary for McMahon's safety. Six days later, McMahon returned to court and asked to have the restraining order lifted. Remy's attorney requested Remy to be released and allowed to resume living with McMahon on the conditions they pursue couples counseling and Remy work on his anger management, but the judge ruled against it. While in jail, Remy was said to have traded his father's autograph in exchange for favors, such as having his back shaved. Remy later pleaded guilty, and received two years' probation. After his release from jail, Remy returned to his job at Fenway Park.

No one's arguing Jared's anything but a bad person. But you're arguing that Jerry is somehow a bad person because of these things.

At some point as a respectable parent you need to realize that enabling your kid is not working. Stop hiring the high priced lawyer and make the kid face the music. I'm stunned that the Red Sox didn't tell him to take a "hiatus". And then just never come back from it.

At some point as a respectable parent you need to realize that enabling your kid is not working. Stop hiring the high priced lawyer and make the kid face the music. I'm stunned that the Red Sox didn't tell him to take a "hiatus". And then just never come back from it.

It's an interesting question that I wonder about a lot whenever these kinds of events happen. What would I do if it were my kid? I honestly don't know. It's easy to say I'd make them face the music, but when the rubber hits the road would I, if it meant seeing them go to prison? Like I said, I honestly don't know.

Dodgers v. Giants...........MY favorite baseball rivalry ever. Go Bums!

Prob series IM most interested in now, except wanting Atlanta to lose.

Classic CA matchup.

Im pulling for LA because I dont want Kapler to win lol. But hoping for a competitive series.

It should be fantastic baseball.
  • Like 1

Houston must be stopped. F-ck those a-sholes.

That is all.

The Rays can, unfortunately I don't see the ChiSox doing it.

And just think, if the Rays do we will be treated to a World Series with 3 or 4 games played in a mausoleum. Oh boy. Any chance if they make it we can go neutral site like last year? Regardless, I'd still rather see that than watch the cheating asstros win a damned thing.

• Like 2

Cardinals, bwahaha. When Bellinger got that SB, I figured, " shit's over, Dodgers finishing this". Taylor's walk-off jack was just icing on the cake.

PJ's Peerless Prediction: Rest up, 'cause Dodgers v Giants is going all the way. Not calling a winner, just be prepared to be in for the long haul.

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 2

Braves-Brewers is a helluva game. Great pitching keeps both teams scoreless deep into it till Milwaukee delivers a two-run job in the 7th. Atlanta gets one back in the 8th with a solo HR, and now the Braves have runners at the corners in the top of the 9th...

And the Brewers get out of it!

• Like 1

Wow.

Yeah, giving Posey a pitch in the strike zone with first base open was a major screw-up. The other thing...Webb is a tough hit, but give him 4-6" outside the zone for a strike and it's no contest. A shame, cuz game 1 of SF-LA should have been a marquee game. Instead it was a snoozer.

Wow, in his post-game comments LA manager Dave Roberts through his team under the bus calling guys out for bad at bats and swinging at pitches out of the zone. Out of the gate the ump was calling strikes on pitches well out of the zone, so they had little choice but to chase. Roberts should have called that out, imo.

Braves-Brewers is a helluva game. Great pitching keeps both teams scoreless deep into it till Milwaukee delivers a two-run job in the 7th. Atlanta gets one back in the 8th with a solo HR, and now the Braves have runners at the corners in the top of the 9th...

And the Brewers get out of it!

Brewers love trading for a player who turns out to be a godsend. :notworthy:

UOjn6mz.jpg

Wow, in his post-game comments LA manager Dave Roberts through his team under the bus calling guys out for bad at bats and swinging at pitches out of the zone. Out of the gate the ump was calling strikes on pitches well out of the zone, so they had little choice but to chase. Roberts should have called that out, imo.

I'm not sure I understand. "Through his team under the bus?" Roberts was using his team as an intermediary while they were ALL under a bus to criticize themselves for bad at bats? Or were they criticizing the Giants? I would think they'd like the Giants to have bad at-bats.

Why were they all under a bus at the same time?

Edited by Rick N. Backer
  • Like 1

I'm not sure I understand. "Through his team under the bus?" Roberts was using his team as an intermediary while they were ALL under a bus to criticize themselves for bad at bats? Or were they criticizing the Giants? I would think they'd like the Giants to have bad at-bats.

Why were they all under a bus at the same time?

Jerk.

:lol:

• Like 1