The 2021 MLB Season Thread! Tatis Jr. Is A Stud! A's Padres World Series! Place Your Betts! LOL!

RUSHHEAD666

What an absolute BULLSHIT call against the Rays in the 13th. You shouldn't benefit from your own defensive incompetence.

yep, that was complete bullshit.

Here's the rule.

https://mobile.twitt...371499510374402

So the appropriate application of the rule would be for the umpire to note when the ball went over tthe fence after hitting Renfroe and where Diaz and Kiermeier were and awarded them two bases from there. It would have been one run in and a runner at third mostly likely.

Haven't seen the play, but is it not the case that fielder never had full possession? That seems to be the argument.

The rule is clear. 2 bases if a player knocks the ball over a fence. That puts the runner at first on third and the batter at second.

This is bullshit as a rule, but apparently right. Passan later posted this as an addition to the previous tweet to clarify.

https://mobile.twitt...5217792/photo/1

So the Red Sox actually benefited from their incompetence. This needs to change, and probably will as a result. But the Red Sox are still cursed. :wacko:

”From the time of the pitch.” Pretty clear to me.

Don Shula would be proud of you calling for a rule change.

Its clear in the manual, but not in the rule book.

Tom Brady would be proud of you for approving of a rule that helps your team but is a little wary that you might be coming to that conclusion from a sense of fairness rather whether it helps your team and will go wobbly when the situation is reversed. But he needn't worry, IMO, knowing how much esteem you have for Mr. Kraft.

Any bounding fair ball is deflected by the fielder into the stands, or over or under a fence on fair or foul territory, in which case the batter and all runners shall be entitled to advance two bases.”

This is the quote I posted originally, and I think it's not only a fair reading, but what's consistent with a fair outcome, that runners should be entitled to two bases from where they were at the time of the deflection, not the time of the pitch. The second quoted tweet from the umpire's handbook, which was the one clearly explaining why it was ruled as it was, further addresses the situation, and if that's the way it's going to be enforced, should be the rule, itself since what you quoted above is ambiguous at best.

1633939488[/url'>' post='4956226']
1633924430' post='4956208']
1633921682[/url'>' post='4956196']
1633920708' post='4956184']
1633920380[/url'>' post='4956181']
1633919110' post='4956176']

The rule is clear. 2 bases if a player knocks the ball over a fence. That puts the runner at first on third and the batter at second.

This is bullshit as a rule, but apparently right. Passan later posted this as an addition to the previous tweet to clarify.

So the Red Sox actually benefited from their incompetence. This needs to change, and probably will as a result. But the Red Sox are still cursed. :wacko:

Tom Brady would be proud of you for approving of a rule that helps your team but is a little wary that you might be coming to that conclusion from a sense of fairness rather whether it helps your team and will go wobbly when the situation is reversed. But he needn't worry, IMO, knowing how much esteem you have for Mr. Kraft.

Any bounding fair ball is deflected by the fielder into the stands, or over or under a fence on fair or foul territory, in which case the batter and all runners shall be entitled to advance two bases.”

This is the quote I posted originally, and I think it's not only a fair reading, but what's consistent with a fair outcome, that runners should be entitled to two bases from where they were at the time of the deflection, not the time of the pitch. The second quoted tweet from the umpire's handbook, which was the one clearly explaining why it was ruled as it was, further addresses the situation, and if that's the way it's going to be enforced, should be the rule, itself since what you quoted above is ambiguous at best.

So if a batter made it to second when a ball is deflected out of play, the result of his ground rule double should be a home run? If he made it to first, the result of his ground rule double is a triple? I think it has to be calculated from where they started the play.

I agree that what happened isn’t fair . . . to the Sox. Kirmaier should have been out. ;)

I will say it’s a little ironic for a team whose home field has rules about balls hitting catwalks to be bemoaning the result of a play governed by a rule that applies anywhere.

I don't think there's anyone on the Rays who would want to play their home games there or defend their park. That doesn't make this rule any better.

What an absolute BULLSHIT call against the Rays in the 13th. You shouldn't benefit from your own defensive incompetence.

yep, that was complete bullshit.

Here's the rule.

https://mobile.twitt...371499510374402

So the appropriate application of the rule would be for the umpire to note when the ball went over tthe fence after hitting Renfroe and where Diaz and Kiermeier were and awarded them two bases from there. It would have been one run in and a runner at third mostly likely.

Haven't seen the play, but is it not the case that fielder never had full possession? That seems to be the argument.

So if a batter made it to second when a ball is deflected out of play, the result of his ground rule double should be a home run? If he made it to first, the result of his ground rule double is a triple?

. At least one, two is preferable to none.

I think it has to be calculated from where they started the play.

I agree that what happened isn’t fair . . . to the Sox. Kirmaier should have been out. ;)

Why, did he touch Tom Brady without his consent?

I will say it’s a little ironic for a team whose home field has rules about balls hitting catwalks to be bemoaning the result of a play governed by a rule that applies anywhere.

I don't think there's anyone on the Rays who would want to play their home games there or defend their park. That doesn't make this rule any better.

Perhaps, but being serious for a moment, just like the "tuck rule," (the obvious analog on everyone's mind), this was not a case of a questionable interpretation of a rule. It's a clear rule that was enforced. Over the years I can remember a few times the Sox have been victimized by balls hitting those catwalks, something that never happens anywhere else.

• Like 1

Perhaps, but being serious for a moment, just like the "tuck rule," (the obvious analog on everyone's mind), this was not a case of a questionable interpretation of a rule. It's a clear rule that was enforced. Over the years I can remember a few times the Sox have been victimized by balls hitting those catwalks, something that never happens anywhere else.

You'd really have to crush it to hit those catwalks from any other ballpark.

Because ballparks are individual, every single one has quirks that are unique to it. Fenway has the highest Left field wall, but among the shortest right field walls. I think Dodger stadium is lower in points. The home run Bucky Dent hit in '78 would have not left most other ballparks. Aaron Boone's home run in the 2003 playoffs would not have gone out of Fenway. The upper deck in the old tiger stadium over-hung the lower deck. Guys could be under a fly ball only to have it disappear up there. Ballparks give and ballparks take away.

Ortiz and Ramirez have both done it.

• Like 1

Whoooshhhhh

Whoooshhhhh

Oh.

Good one goose. Touché. :)

• Like 1

Whoooshhhhh

Oh.

Good one goose. Touché. :)

:lol:

Uggggh. Now I have to root for the winner of the Astros-White Sox series in the ALCS.

Or watch hockey during the week I guess.

• Like 1

Giants take Game 3, lead series 2-1.

:cheerleader:

:boo hiss:

:lol:

It was a good game, with that Longoria jack - and the wind keeping several Dodgers shots in - being the difference. Line up-wise it seemed weird to me to sit Bellinger, who had been the spark that jump started the Dodger offense in the 6th of game two, but Pujols did go 2 for 2, so it was likely the right call. Props to Alex Wood and the Giants' bull pen for getting the job done, and to Scherzer who was solid, minus one pitch.

Here's hoping for a five game series.

Looks like the BoSox might be closing things out tonight. 5-0 through three innings.

Well, the Sox almost fell victim to the curse of the early post, lol. That and making the late-game 3rd out at third base on the unnecessary tag up. :eh:

Hopefully the Sox did the right thing and gave a game ball to Rays manager Kevin Cash for bring in McClanahan early. Shane got lit up. Seemed an odd decxision considering... The 24-year-old rookie from USF was used exclusively as a starter this season and didn’t pitch on fewer than four days’ rest all year, and only five times at that, usually getting more.

Edited by goose

Looks like the BoSox might be closing things out tonight. 5-0 through three innings.

Well, the Sox almost fell victim to the curse of the early post, lol. That and making the late-game 3rd out at third base on the unnecessary tag up. :eh:

Hopefully the Sox did the right thing and gave a game ball to Rays manager Kevin Cash for bring in McClanahan early. Shane got lit up. Seemed an odd decxision considering... The 24-year-old rookie from USF was used exclusively as a starter this season and didn’t pitch on fewer than four days’ rest all year, and only five times at that, usually getting more.

To be fair, his choices to cover the 9 innings, given that they went 13 the day before, were very limited and required an all in approach.

• Like 1

To be fair, his choices to cover the 9 innings, given that they went 13 the day before, were very limited and required an all in approach.

True. But did he need to make such a drastic move? His starter was doing fine through two innings. Seemed premature to me, and a lot of pressure to put on a rookie.

True. But did he need to make such a drastic move? His starter was doing fine through two innings. Seemed premature to me, and a lot of pressure to put on a rookie.

I said the same thing about both starters. McHugh had given up 1 hit when he was lifted. Rodriguez seemed to be in a groove. Considering both bullpens had been taxed the night before, I would have thought you'd let a starter go until he started showing some sign of trouble.

• Like 1

I said the same thing about both starters. McHugh had given up 1 hit when he was lifted. Rodriguez seemed to be in a groove. Considering both bullpens had been taxed the night before, I would have thought you'd let a starter go until he started showing some sign of trouble.

I think it unintentionally sends a strange message to the players in terms of confidence.

After reviewing the details on baseball reference, it seems like an early pull. McHugh had faced 7 hitters (so first time through the lineup) an thrown 18 pitches. He had gone 3 innings on a couple of occasions and 2.1 on a couple of others. With the need to cover 27 outs McHugh could have done more.
  • Like 2