The 2021 MLB Season Thread! Tatis Jr. Is A Stud! A's Padres World Series! Place Your Betts! LOL!

RUSHHEAD666

I'm happy that the yankees can provide you some joy. It doesn't seem like you'll be getting any from the Cubs anytime soon. That's actually too bad. I've always liked the Cubs. Me and A buddy from Chicago flew to Miami to see games 3 and 4 of the Bartman series. The topless girls on the beach were an added bonus, I mean bonus. My buddy gave me a pair of tickets for game 5 as well just in case my flight got bumped. It didn't, so I gave them to the ticketing agent at the airport.

Win or lose, it's good to be da king.

Interesting note. The game didn't sell out last last night. After the 1st inning a massive text went out to local college students that they could get into the game for as cheap as 9 bucks. A playoff game against their biggest rival and they couldn't sell 37,000 seats. The flagship Boston sports radio show right now is still talking more about the patriots trading whatshisface than the game last night.

Interesting note. The game didn't sell out last last night. After the 1st inning a massive text went out to local college students that they could get into the game for as cheap as 9 bucks. A playoff game against their biggest rival and they couldn't sell 37,000 seats. The flagship Boston sports radio show right now is still talking more about the patriots trading whatshisface than the game last night.

In order to be considered a rival don't you have to win an important game once in a while?

• Like 1

Market-wise the best Series left is Dodgers-White Sox. Tampa vs Milwaukee probably wouldn't even be televised.

Even in Chicago no one really cares about the White Sox.

In order to be considered a rival don't you have to win an important game once in a while?

You'd have to ask a Red Sox fan. They've never been a big deal to Yankee fans. I mean, you would think so, but for about 86 years the Yankees were in their heads for whatever reason and they've just never gotten over it. Even with all the success of the last 15 years or so.

I sort of get it. I went to UCONN when Duke knocked us out of the tournament my junior and senior year of college, one time at the buzzer to go to the Final 4. I hated them like crazy, but then we beat them for the championship in 99 and again in the 2004 semi. Now I am fine with them.

Edited by edhunter

John Sterling (Yankees play-by-play radio grandpa) did his home run call on a single that was hit off the Monster wall :lol:

https://www.reddit.c...ee_hr_call_for/

He's a perfect play-by-play guy for the Yankees and their fans. More interested in listening to his own voice than watching the game.

With Jerry Remy in the booth, do you really want to be talking about the flaws of announcers?

Market-wise the best Series left is Dodgers-White Sox. Tampa vs Milwaukee probably wouldn't even be televised.

That may be, but nationally they'll still draw the highest interest. The Astros and Red Sox still have the cheating scandal working against them, and the Rays are the embodiment of why the game has gone to hell in the last decade.

That may be, but nationally they'll still draw the highest interest. The Astros and Red Sox still have the cheating scandal working against them, and the Rays are the embodiment of why the game has gone to hell in the last decade.

The Rays are the best run organization in baseball. I can see why Yankee fans don't appreciate them. 1/4 the payroll, 110% of the wins.

The Rays are the best run organization in baseball. I can see why Yankee fans don't appreciate them. 1/4 the payroll, 110% of the wins.

I know you're just being somewhat of a troll, but do you really think it's just Yankee fans? Check their website. They haven't even sold half of their tickets yet. 99.99 percent of America couldn't name a single player on the team. And you and I are in the key demographic for baseball. The game is dying and Tampa is about the worst possible team to hold up to try and save it.

You'd have to ask a Red Sox fan. They've never been a big deal to Yankee fans. I mean, you would think so, but for about 86 years the Yankees were in their heads for whatever reason and they've just never gotten over it. Even with all the success of the last 15 years or so.

I sort of get it. I went to UCONN when Duke knocked us out of the tournament my junior and senior year of college, one time at the buzzer to go to the Final 4. I hated them like crazy, but then we beat them for the championship in 99 and again in the 2004 semi. Now I am fine with them.

That's an odd take. One reason there wasn't the same enthusiasm for last night's game around here is that the Yankees haven't beaten the Red Sox in the postseason in 18 years. The Sox have beaten the Yankees the last 3 times they've played in the post season. In those "series" (last night's one game included) the Sox have won 8 of the last 9 games. I'm not all that troubled by what happened when I was 10 considering the Sox have won 4 World Series' in 16 years.

My son and I went to Yankee Stadium a couple summers ago. As we were walking in we encountered a 20 something with Sox gear on with a bunch of Yankee fans about the same age. He asked us to agree that the Yankees can't win in the post season anymore. We agreed, of course, but said nothing. Who knows what New Yorkers might have done?

John Sterling (Yankees play-by-play radio grandpa) did his home run call on a single that was hit off the Monster wall :lol:

He's a perfect play-by-play guy for the Yankees and their fans. More interested in listening to his own voice than watching the game.

With Jerry Remy in the booth, do you really want to be talking about the flaws of announcers?

What has Jerry Remy himself done? Paid lawyers to defend his son?

The dirtbag filed for custody of the kid.

I know you're just being somewhat of a troll, but do you really think it's just Yankee fans? Check their website. They haven't even sold half of their tickets yet. 99.99 percent of America couldn't name a single player on the team. And you and I are in the key demographic for baseball. The game is dying and Tampa is about the worst possible team to hold up to try and save it.

I'll admit to having some fun with people here, but this isn't one of those times.

We already went over their stadium issues (if you have read Jonah Keri's book it goes into great detail there). The support would be much much better were that to be rectified.

Although I'm not the typical fan (I'm far more into analytics than the old moving the runner over by bunting take), I do think that it's a fair criticism that analytics have hurt the game aesthetically. But I don't think that's baseball's biggest problem.

That would be, in my opinion, that there is an uneven playing field because of the finances of the game, along with MLB's shitty marketing (A-Rod making national broadcasts unwatchable doesn't help). The small market teams have to be infinitely more resourceful than major market teams (and MLB network and ESPN exacerbate this issue with their monomanical focus on major market teams) just to compete, and a lot of them can't and enter the season with no hope. The Rays mitigate this issue, they don't exacerbate it. But then the major market teams poach the employees who make the Rays successful by paying them more, so even their success is unsustainable. I can see why this is frustrating to fans of the behemoths.

I would say that the 99.99% number you gave understates the actual number by three orders of magnitude, there are stars on that team, within three years they'll likely have the best player in baseball, or at least one of the top five, and Arozarena will be a multiple time All Star so top line talent won't be a problem. I don't see the fact that these guys are not well known as being a problem with Tampa; its a problem with marketing.

The dirtbag filed for custody of the kid.

That I'll have to plead ignorance about, but it is his grandchild, no? Are the mother's parents fighting for custody? If not, why shouldn't he want to provide for his grandchild? His son is never getting out of prison.

https://deadspin.com/jerry-remy-on-his-sons-unforgivable-crime-1836210139

I have to be honest, if I heard about this before I didn't remember it. But from the article above, he sounds like a standup guy trying to make the best of a horrible situation by doing right by his grandchildren and not making excuses for his POS son. Of course, he's writing this and he may be spinning or even outright lying. But he seems pretty devastated and while the disruption to his life pales in comparison to the young woman who lost her life and her parents and children, I read this and felt sympathy for him; it has to haunt you every day of your life that someone you raised was capable of this and make it extremely difficult to go on.

https://deadspin.com/jerry-remy-on-his-sons-unforgivable-crime-1836210139

I have to be honest, if I heard about this before I didn't remember it. But from the article above, he sounds like a standup guy trying to make the best of a horrible situation by doing right by his grandchildren and not making excuses for his POS son. Of course, he's writing this and he may be spinning or even outright lying. But he seems pretty devastated and while the disruption to his life pales in comparison to the young woman who lost her life and her parents and children, I read this and felt sympathy for him; it has to haunt you every day of your life that someone you raised was capable of this and make it extremely difficult to go on.

And my view is if you f**k up that bad raising your kid you shouldn't get a crack at another kid. There were articles at the time of the murder saying that Remy was never the best father. He enabled and covered for the kid every step of the way. I was stunned the Red Sox didn't quietly show him the door. They actually fired his broadcast partner instead.

Edited by edhunter

Well, we may as well go ahead and fold up the tent and close down the thread on this one, with the Cardinals out, who'll uphold the Proper Traditions of BaseballTM and be the paragons of virtue the nation needs so badly now?

Only 140 days till the first games of spring training!

• Like 1

https://deadspin.com...rime-1836210139

And my view is if you f**k up that bad raising your kid you shouldn't get a crack at another kid. There were articles at the time of the murder saying that Remy was never the best father. He enabled and covered for the kid every step of the way. I was stunned the Red Sox didn't quietly show him the door. They actually fired his broadcast partner instead.

You have the benefit of hindsight, knowing that eventually his son killed the child's mother. At the time, I suspect Remy did what most fathers would do, try to help minimize the damage to his son, because he didn't know the outcome. It's not like, say, the Laundrie family, who appears to have helped their son escape after he obviously had done something to his fiancé. And I totally disagree that if your child does something horrific, it is definitely a reflection of your parenting.

• Like 1