17 members have voted

1. 1. artist

2. 2. definitive album

• The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars
    • Purple Rain
  3. 3. another classic

• Let's Dance
    • Sign O' The Times

For someone who is only familiar with Bowie's hits, what album would you recommend to try first?

Depends on which hits you like more. If you really enjoy Let's Dance and Modern Love, go for the Let's Dance album. If you prefer Changes and Space Oddity and Suffragette City, The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars is probably your best bet, or Hunky Dory. If you like stuff like Heroes and Fame and Golden Years, I'd go with Station To Station, maybe Low.

• Like 1

In my head I can hear competent versions of Bowie singing Purple Rain, and Prince singing Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes.

....wow me too, lol

• Like 1

In my head I can hear competent versions of Bowie singing Purple Rain, and Prince singing Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes.

....wow me too, lol

It’s probably not too surprising. Both were musical gods. Both extremely versatile. Both are great examples of why putting artists within a musical genre is pointless.

• Like 1

For someone who is only familiar with Bowie's hits, what album would you recommend to try first?

For me I would start with Hunky Dory and go chronologically. That way you would be going with the flow in terms of his metamorphic nature. Ideally a big binge session.
  • Like 3

Depends on which hits you like more. If you really enjoy Let's Dance and Modern Love, go for the Let's Dance album. If you prefer Changes and Space Oddity and Suffragette City, The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars is probably your best bet, or Hunky Dory. If you like stuff like Heroes and Fame and Golden Years, I'd go with Station To Station, maybe Low.

I agree with this J. Go with Ziggy and Let's Dance. Those are his most accessible albums. If you like those, branch out as EP suggested.

• Like 2