The Beatles vs. The Rolling Stones

Lorraine

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which band is(was) more talented?

• The Beatles
    • The Rolling Stones
    • They both stink. Neither one.

The Beatles

My vote for the greatest band of all time. I don't see any other contenders.

For me that would be Zeppelin. Beginning to end, their catalog is pretty flawless.

greatest is opinion based i believe. i personally don't know if i can call any group the greatest ever. that's a STATEMENT, lol.

are the beatles up there? sure. but greatest ever? I have a hard time assigning greatest to anything,

Mick

True. Music is too varied and no band captures everything.
  • Like 1

The Beatles

For me that would be Zeppelin. Beginning to end, their catalog is pretty flawless.

I disagree. A) Presence and B) Communication Breakdown isn't as different from All of My Love as Love Me Do is from The Long and Winding Road. There's just more variety to the Beatles' greatness.

• Like 1

The Beatles

I disagree. A) Presence and B) Communication Breakdown isn't as different from All of My Love as Love Me Do is from The Long and Winding Road. There's just more variety to the Beatles' greatness.

Zeppelin's obvious plagiarism is a concern, some of it is a gut punch that almost ruins some songs. Anyway, it's all great music. Aren't we lucky? Yes.

• Like 2

They SUCK LIVE!

Give me SUCKING THE SEVENTIES!

ROLLING STONES BLOW THE BEATLES AWAY!

Beatles had screaming fans drowning them out, no wonder they had lousy sound. That's why they quit touring and then the music got even more complicated so they couldn't do much of it live. Shea Stadium was passable at times but still all the shrieking, how the hell could you hear them? Stones are good but they were always trying to imitate the Beatles. BEATLES FOREVER!! :drool: :yes: :wub:

• Like 2

Beatles for studio, Stones for live.

I think this says it all actually.

Beatles suck live. They are like Dokken or Kingdom Come or even Great White Live. Terrible. But great in the studio.

I've seen the Stones live three times. THEY WERE AMAZING!!!!

I think this is a tough call so I'm going with THE WHO! LOL!

“Suck”? Man, come on. You can’t judge The Beatles live solely on audio and video recordings.

Side, relevant note: Not sure if there are any current TRFers who’ve seen The Beatles in concert.

I had a friend in Denver who was going to get tickets but my dad balked at letting me go... :rage: So close but never got to see them live :eh:

• Like 2

Ibanez, would you be so kind as to come back and tell me why you don't like either band. You don't have to like them at all, but I'm curious as to why you dislike both of them.

:cheers:

Oh btw, he mostly only likes instrumental music.

That's okay. We can hum the songs to him. :16ton:

Well... I`m shocked that I`m the only person who is not a fan of either. Can`t say it`s due to a lack of exposure to either band! Neither band have "grabbed" me...

I think both are fantastic Greatest Hits bands, with the Beatlesedging the Dtones on number of great songs, while the Stones have better have-to-hear top tracks. But album-wise, neither band thrills me.

I prefer the Who.

There must be millions of musicologists around the world that love both bands, and The Who etc... but for whatever reason, if I`m taking musicians that started in the early 60s, I`ll have Bob Dylan over everyone. If I`m going to listen to lyrics, I`ll take the best around and not just that, he is still delivering astonishing music. Rush deliver a different angle too for things to think about in their songs (mainly up to `85, IMO), and that`s why they matter to me. Neil Young too, up to a point - he seems to have lost interest in making good albums over the last decade.
  • Like 1

Ibanez, would you be so kind as to come back and tell me why you don't like either band. You don't have to like them at all, but I'm curious as to why you dislike both of them.

Well... I`m shocked that I`m the only person who is not a fan of either. Can`t say it`s due to a lack of exposure to either band! Neither band have "grabbed" me...

I think both are fantastic Greatest Hits bands, with the Beatlesedging the Dtones on number of great songs, while the Stones have better have-to-hear top tracks. But album-wise, neither band thrills me.

I prefer the Who.

There must be millions of musicologists around the world that love both bands, and The Who etc... but for whatever reason, if I`m taking musicians that started in the early 60s, I`ll have Bob Dylan over everyone. If I`m going to listen to lyrics, I`ll take the best around and not just that, he is still delivering astonishing music. Rush deliver a different angle too for things to think about in their songs (mainly up to `85, IMO), and that`s why they matter to me. Neil Young too, up to a point - he seems to have lost interest in making good albums over the last decade.

To me Dylan is easily the greatest song writer of our time. The Beatles are my all-time favorite musical act, but Dylan is just in a league by himself when it comes to writing quality and the sheer volume of great stuff as well.

• Like 1

The Beatles

greatest is opinion based i believe. i personally don't know if i can call any group the greatest ever. that's a STATEMENT, lol.

are the beatles up there? sure. but greatest ever? I have a hard time assigning greatest to anything,

Mick

Nickelback are the GOAT

jyFFYvW.gif

• Like 2

The Beatles

Slow Love Me Do down to Winding Road's tempo and they are not that different.

ETA: For range, Zep's Rain Song is a better example than All My Love

Edited by goose

I prefer the Who.

To me Dylan is easily the greatest song writer of our time. The Beatles are my all-time favorite musical act, but Dylan is just in a league by himself when it comes to writing quality and the sheer volume of great stuff as well.

Agreed. Not a huge fan, but I recognize his craft, for sure.

The Beatles

What I meant was the difference in sound from their first to last albums.

The Beatles

Along those same lines, compare Revolution and Honey Pie, both recorded in 1968. Or frankly any 2 songs on The White Album.

• Like 1

The Beatles

Along those same lines, compare Revolution and Honey Pie, both recorded in 1968. Or frankly any 2 songs on The White Album.

the white album remains my fav album ever. got it at Christmas when i was 16. the thing i love about it the most is....to me.....it has this vague underlying air of being slightly off and creepy the entire way through. i dunno if i'm the only one that feels it but i love it.

Mick

• Like 4

The Beatles

Sure, that's range, but not in a good way, imo. In general think Paul's Cole Porter throwback stuff is mainly nonsense. John agreed, lol.

The Beatles

the white album remains my fav album ever. got it at Christmas when i was 16. the thing i love about it the most is....to me.....it has this vague underlying air of being slightly off and creepy the entire way through. i dunno if i'm the only one that feels it but i love it.

Mick

Yeah, it's edgy and raw, which I like. John's stuff especially.
  • Like 2

The Beatles

Mick

I don't think the creepiness is very underlying by the time you get to side four.

..number nine...number nine...number nine...

Block that kick! Block that kick!

eeeaaaaaaahhhh! haaaaeeeah! AAEEeEeEEeH

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 3

The Beatles

Mick

It's my favorite album ever as well.

• Like 1

The Beatles

Sure, that's range, but not in a good way, imo. In general think Paul's Cole Porter throwback stuff is mainly nonsense. John agreed, lol.

F*ck Lennon. ;)