Do you own Van Halen III?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a copy of Van Halen III?

• Yes I own it and I like it
    • No I don't own it and I don't intend to buy it
    • Yes I own it, I think it's crap but I'm a completist
    • No I don't own it but I'm thinking of getting it now
    • Never even heard a song from it
    • Don't care
    • I'll f***ing kill you treeduck and make you suffer for this
    • My name is Fridge, do I own it? Do I f**k, who do you think you're talking to?
    • My name is Tony R, don't even ask and don't touch my face my skin is baby soft...
    • One day I might buy it
    • I have some MP3s of it somewhere
    • I threw it away
    • The dog ate it
    • My cock is exactly the right size to f**k it, so yeah I have it...
    • My name is Becky Blue Chica and I have dress made out of 56 copies of the album stuck together
    • My name is Michael Anthony, I should have been erased from that album
    • David Lee Roth here, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha hahhhh!
    • Sammy Hagar here heee heee hee hee hee hee hee hee
    • I'll kill you all for this thread - the ghost of Gary Moore
    • I sold mine to a traveling gypsy
    • My name is Ken Jennings and I sold my body to get a copy of the album
    • My name is Johnny Blaze, aka Jonathan X Blaze, I ate my copy with a burger and fries
    • My name is EARL RAMER, I loved the album so much I married Gary Cherone, he calls himself Lisa these days
    • My name is Jack Aubrey, of course I bought it, I used it as target for my Uzi practice routine
    • My name is 73, I played on the album, just triangle and coffee making machine, it's better than nothing

I don't own a copy of this album, never have. I've heard it a few times but never owned it. But now I'm starting to feel like I need to grab a copy. Yeah it's worst VH album of the bunch, but it's got Eddie on it, and Alex and Michael Anthony on 3 songs (Ed plays the rest of the bass) and ok Gary Cherone was all wrong for the band and is the worst of the Van Halen singers. But is he any worse than Blaze Bailey in Maiden? Ripper Owens in Priest? Paul Rodgers in Queen? On paper I think he was a good choice. And who else could they have got in 1998?

I'm not trying to defend this album but I feel like I'm missing out on some Eddie tricks and licks and bits! It has to happen!

• Like 2

Why is this such a hated album?

Gary Cherone pays tribute to Eddie Van Halen in Rolling Stone here.

He discusses Van Halen III and its 'artsy eclecticism' that wasn't appealing to fans, which Ultimate Classic Rock also noted here.

No pun intended, but Eddie Van Halen may have felt it was a 'punch to the gut' (hence the album cover of the cannonball to the gut) when the album wasn't fully accepted.

Edited by RushFanForever

This was Eddie Van Halen's one and only moment as a lead vocalist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMZALoDzj_Q

This has been described as Eddie's interpretation of a Roger Water's type of song.

Don't like it. It sounds like he's just lackadaisically messing around on the living room piano. Wolfie, still a little kid at the time, is sitting next to him.

12. Neworld

11. How Many Say I

10. From Afar

9. Dirty Water Dog

8. Primary

7. One I Want

6. Josephina

5. Year To The Day

4. Fire In The Hole

3. Once

2. Without You

1. Ballot Or The Bullet

I own it (CD) and I really like Neworld and Without You, the opening tracks. Eddie sounds very experimental, which is fine, but it`s not much fun as a listen. Cherone seems keen to be very serious throughout and that is quite a stretch from Dave, and although Sammy was inane, he was upbeat.

I don`t listen to it very often at all. It must have been five years since I did, but I can recall all the songs in my head. It`s not Van Halen, but its not without merit. I think it`s very overhated.

It's impossible to enjoy. The III stands for Third Rate.

My theory is that neither Cherone, Nor Edward, are very good at song arrangement. EVH could write amazing pieces of music, but not a coherent song, with lyrics and a singer. He's not that guy. Some great moments on the album when Cherone is NOT SINGING. I'll give it that.

It's interesting how unprepared Cherone seemed to be for a band like Van Halen.

This album should've been a moment for Michael Anthony to shine, but nope. No songs for him.

I believe Roth, Hagar and Templeman understood songwriting intrinsically - Roth knew great turns of phrase, and was as witty as a stand up comic - and as dark.

Why did they think they could get a Guitar Center singer to fill those shoes??? It's insane in retrospect.

And honestly, Mitch Malloy is even more ridiculous.

Ray Danniels saw it as an easy money grab since he already managed Extreme, who had a songwriter/arranger in Nuno Bettencourt.

• Like 2

Here's a fresh perspective on it as I'm currently listening to this for the first time right now. I never bothered with it back when it was released.

The songs seem to lack a certain life to them that most Van Halen material had before this. I have never thought this before about a Van Halen album but this is really boring. Dave and Sammy had a presence to them as vocalists. They both brought a good fun vibe and great energy with what they did. Cherone just doesn't have that. He's trying to play it serious and that doesn't work for Van Halen. He just doesn't fit at all. There's a few times on here where his screaming/yelling sounds like he's trying to do his best Sammy Hagar impression and that doesn't work for me either.

This album is a lifeless dud.

• Like 1

I think Mitch Malloy would be a better choice than Gary Cherone, but neither of them would have enough balls to say no to whatever Eddie wanted. Think about it: if your musical HERO asked you to join his band, would you have the guts to stand up and say "it think this or that part needs improvement"? I certainly wouldn't. Even the producer brought in to help was more of a yes man than they previously had. So Van Halen III is in essence a solo album from Eddie, with a lot of experimentation, lyrics with off-the-shelf philosophy, songs that needed SERIOUS trimming and not enough hooks. Going through A Year to the Day from start t finish seems to take...well, a whole year.

My name is Segue Myles and I love all the albums people hate!

Haha sometimes! I actually don't know if I've played this particular record, so I'm just curious as to what it is fans don't like.

When it comes to VH, my favourite is the debut.

My name is Segue Myles and I love all the albums people hate!

Haha sometimes! I actually don't know if I've played this particular record, so I'm just curious as to what it is fans don't like.

When it comes to VH, my favourite is the debut.

I've only heard two songs so far, and not all the way through. In 1998 I don't know what I was doing but I never bothered with Van Halen III anyway...

Here's a fresh perspective on it as I'm currently listening to this for the first time right now. I never bothered with it back when it was released.

The songs seem to lack a certain life to them that most Van Halen material had before this. I have never thought this before about a Van Halen album but this is really boring. Dave and Sammy had a presence to them as vocalists. They both brought a good fun vibe and great energy with what they did. Cherone just doesn't have that. He's trying to play it serious and that doesn't work for Van Halen. He just doesn't fit at all. There's a few times on here where his screaming/yelling sounds like he's trying to do his best Sammy Hagar impression and that doesn't work for me either.

This album is a lifeless dud.

I couldn't have said it better. The humor is gone.

That's the problem.

In fact, it's a major problem with Balance as well.

I think Mitch Malloy would be a better choice than Gary Cherone, but neither of them would have enough balls to say no to whatever Eddie wanted. Think about it: if your musical HERO asked you to join his band, would you have the guts to stand up and say "it think this or that part needs improvement"? I certainly wouldn't. Even the producer brought in to help was more of a yes man than they previously had. So Van Halen III is in essence a solo album from Eddie, with a lot of experimentation, lyrics with off-the-shelf philosophy, songs that needed SERIOUS trimming and not enough hooks. Going through A Year to the Day from start t finish seems to take...well, a whole year.

Sebastian Bach was the right choice.

I don't think he was ever considered though...and he would have had the same "yes man" attitude with Eddie because he was a fan of the band as well.

• Like 1

I don't think he was ever considered though...and he would have had the same "yes man" attitude with Eddie because he was a fan of the band as well.

I'm not so sure about that. He was carving his own independent path at the time. I think he knew more about what he wanted. He was already successful too (like Cherone was). But his singing style was more suited to what VH was.

He didn't get along with the other Skid guys because he was always looking forward, in his own best interest, for better or for worse.

He also had that ironic, goofy flare ---he got the joke. Still gets it in fact.