Steely Dan - 5 Songs You Love The Most

Lorraine

A band i have criminally ignored over the years but i do love Reeling In The Years. I must make the effort and listen to a few of their albums. Any best place to start?
  • Like 2

A band i have criminally ignored over the years but i do love Reeling In The Years. I must make the effort and listen to a few of their albums. Any best place to start?

Start with "Aja", or perhaps the compilation, "A Decade of Steely Dan".

• Like 2

Deacon Blues

My Old School

Pretzel Logic

Caves Of Altamira

Kid Charlemange

Honorable mentions

FM

Black Cow

Your Gold Teeth II

Night by Night

Haitian Divorce

the Dan are FANTASTIC though. Special, unique, Impeccable smooth arrangements. like EVERY song feels fully realized and everything is exactly in it's place.

My fav band.

Mick

• Like 3

I would suggest in chronological order, but you won't be disappointed if you go randomly either.

• Like 2

I would suggest in chronological order, but you won't be disappointed if you go randomly either.

i could easily say one should go straight to the Royal Scam (my fav) but Chronological order works just as well. as the first original run to 1980 is flawless in my view.

Mick

I don't know 5 songs by them so........

i would not be surprised if you know 5 guitarists that played for the dan. the dan is drug fueled jazzy rock . top notch session players and incredible production.

i have heard that AJA by steely dan is the "one "record used to test out very high end stereos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7kduNihACs

Edited by tangy
  • Like 1

Start with "Aja", or perhaps the compilation, "A Decade of Steely Dan".

I think thats a solid suggestion. they were a more of a band early on, then evolved to becker and fagen and the best money could buy.

really imo all their records up to AJA are great. little to no filler IMO. Gaucho is real good but not as great.

after guacho and after many years they released two against nature. my least fave by them. 2 or 3 good songs. their last record everything must go was better imo. i would wait to pick up 2AN and EMG .

my fave from EMG. the mighty godwhacker!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-F3n_G_0O0

Edited by tangy
  • Like 1

Deacon Blues

My Old School

Pretzel Logic

Caves Of Altamira

Kid Charlemange

Honorable mentions

FM

Black Cow

Your Gold Teeth II

Night by Night

Haitian Divorce

the Dan are FANTASTIC though. Special, unique, Impeccable smooth arrangements. like EVERY song feels fully realized and everything is exactly in it's place.

My fav band.

Mick

Any major dude will tell you..........

that you picked out some tasty ones there amigo!

have you checked out the early years?

also i read last week about them finding a song that supposedly was erased during the gaucho session?

• Like 1

Do it again

Rikki don't loose that number

Josie

Peg

Hey Nineteen

Honorable mention:

Cousin Dupree

FM

Edited by Leanne
  • Like 1

Deacon Blues

My Old School

Pretzel Logic

Caves Of Altamira

Kid Charlemange

Honorable mentions

FM

Black Cow

Your Gold Teeth II

Night by Night

Haitian Divorce

My fav band.

Mick

I love Night By Night.

:musicnote:Well I ain't got the heart

To lose another fight

So until my ship comes in

I'll live night by night :musicnote:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

barrytown

dr wu

bad sneakers

kid charlamagne

green earrings

and as an added bonus. a greatest hits release.

here at the western world

the DAN are second only to rush for me.

I almost put Dr Wu too. The song makes me cry. I could almost sing it about my husband - are you just the shadow of the man that I once knew?

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Same. I just know the hits and obviously that isn't enough so I will opt out of this one (for now). Reeling and FM are utter classics though so they would HAVE to be in there.

• Like 4

Same. I just know the hits and obviously that isn't enough so I will opt out of this one (for now). Reeling and FM are utter classics though so they would HAVE to be in there.

HOLY SHIT!!! STEEVO!!!!! I MISS YOU!!!!

Hope you are well my long lost brother!

STEELY DAN RULES!

Some of the best production on studio albums ever made. "AJA" is a MASTERPIECE.

I saw them live once in Vegas. Steve Winwood opened. It was awesome!

RUSH ON BUDDY!

I'm doing good! I'm in love dude!! Anything on this Earth is possible if Rushhead can find love during a pandemic!

Keep your chin up always!!!

There are still a ton of silver linings on the Earth despite the shit we are all going through!!

Earl

• Like 4

Also check out Donald Fagen’s “The Nightfly”, a simply brilliant album!

and his recent (2012 i think) Sunken Condos is brilliant.

Better than the two reunion dan albums, IMO.

Mick

I cant agree with that. i definitively prefer 2AN and EMG over sunken condos. i rate fagen solo in the order they were released. nightfly being the best by a long shot, kamkiriad in second then SC.

i also rate beckers 11 tracks of whack as good as the nightfly. beckers second release circus money has its moments but in general not as good as 11 tracks of whack.

and on that note i leave you donald playing a grateful dead classic...........