9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Year For Music?

2. 2. Least Favorite Year For Music?

1967 - great releases from Beatles, Cream and Jimi Hendrix Experience

1960 - dull

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 2

1960 is really the 50's isn't it?

Since there was no year zero the answer is yes.

err..... the clue is in the number 6

I'm not sure what I would've even listened to before the beatles. maybe I would've been cool enough to be into jazz or avant garde classical shit, but being a white person in georgia I doubt I would've come across coltrane, mingus, miles, varese, stravinsky, etc etc. 66 to 69 are pretty much untouchable

here's a good idea for a 100 pager - should 1969 be considered part of the 70s musically?

Here's a quick and imo definitive reason the answer is no. The Beatles recorded and released their last album, Abbey Road that year and brought an end to the decade by breaking up in early '70. Yes, Let It Be was released after Abbey Road as a post mortum almost but it was recorded and intended to be released before Abbey Road so is imo still a 60s album.

• Like 1

It's said that 1966 is the revolutionary year in rock music.

From the Los Angeles Times below.

1966 could be rock ‘n’ roll’s most revolutionary year, thanks to the Beatles, Dylan and the Beach Boys

On a side note, Bob Dylan's motorcycle accident occurred on Geddy's 13th birthday in 1966, as noted here and here.

Edited by RushFanForever

here's a good idea for a 100 pager - should 1969 be considered part of the 70s musically?

Good question. Decades don't end neatly and culturally there is always some bleed over at the beginning/end of a decade. I'll start with my opinion. I do think 1968 and '69 were the start of what was going to erupt in the '70's. I love hard rock and metal, so this is ground zero for me. my music collection starts in earnest here. Bands like the Beatles and the Stones were at some sort of zenith here, but Sabbath, Zepplin, etc. were pointing the way to the future. There were also bands like Alice Cooper, Deep Purple, Yes, King Crimson releasing albums then. Big departure from what was happening even 2 or 3 years ago.

For me I agree with including 1969 with the '70's.

However........................

I have talked to people who include the early '70's as part of the '60's, maybe up to 1972. They were almost always 15-20 years older than me. Here again, cultural context.

So,this happens about every decade. I'll use Van Halen and 1978 as a time marker for what was coming in the '80's. ...Yeah, this could be a good topic on its own.

• Like 1

66 to 69 awesome

pre 66 meh

i prefer 66 to 69 but like pre 66 too. been really getting into surf/bongo music lately. the beach boys are great but i am also listening to dick dale, the ventures , the trashmen etc etc. lots of great guitar driven instrumentals.