What band or artist has the most consecutive great albums?

. Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Could it be The Beatles?

The run from A Hard Day's Night through Let It Be is like 9 in a row, though it might be controversial to call Help or Let It Be truly great.

I think the Beatles are almost ineligible for these types of things because in my eyes they’re perfect.

Great songs on every album, but each album has some duds, imo. That perception could be due to the duds being along side absolutely perfect songs, though.

"Each album has some duds"? Let's go with Rubber Soul to Abbey Road. Give me what you think are the duds in there.

• Like 2

Could it be The Beatles?

The run from A Hard Day's Night through Let It Be is like 9 in a row, though it might be controversial to call Help or Let It Be truly great.

Help! is one of the greatest pop albums of all time. It's not controversial at all. To call it otherwise is ridiculous to me.

Fair. I see people talk about Hard Day's Night as a great early Beatles album all the time, but I don't see as much love for Help. But maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

Hmmm The Beatles are a tricky one ..... as a singles band they are unsurpassed. However in terms of albums, i think their first real 'great' album was Rubber Soul. Loads of great ones post Rubber soul ... Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, The White Album, Abbey Road etc but also the odd duffer like Yellow Sumarine.

Although, if you take out side 2, and just go with their own songs, it's great.

• Like 1

And what about Bowie?

Hardcore fans often say he was untouchable in the 70s, so if you count every one of his 70s albums (minus the covers album) and toss in Scary Monsters and Let's Dance for good measure, that's 12.

Admittedly I haven't heard The Man Who Sold The World yet, but I've heard the rest of that run and it is phenomenal. I will say there's a bit of a dip around Diamond Dogs / Young Americans as Bowie loses himself to cocaine and weird fascist books for a while and tries to figure out how to move past Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders, but neither of them are half bad and he picks things right back up with Station To Station.

I considered Bowie for my selections (I have a lot of time for much of his stuff) and certainly The Man Who Sold the World through to Aladdin Sane are in my eye some of the finest albums ever recorded ....However ...

that is only 4 in a row. I didn't think the albums either side of these (ie. David Bowie and Pin Ups) were bona fide classics. Just my thoughts!

I don't think Pin Ups counts being a covers album, you can skip straight to Diamond Dogs. How far would you go past that?

Bowie is interesting for me. When he's on, I absolutely love him. He's sort of a greatest hits artist for me, but there are a few albums, Ziggy, Let's Dance, Scary Monsters, where I love the whole album's vibe.

• Like 1

Could it be The Beatles?

Help! is one of the greatest pop albums of all time. It's not controversial at all. To call it otherwise is ridiculous to me.

Fair. I see people talk about Hard Day's Night as a great early Beatles album all the time, but I don't see as much love for Help. But maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

Hmmm The Beatles are a tricky one ..... as a singles band they are unsurpassed. However in terms of albums, i think their first real 'great' album was Rubber Soul. Loads of great ones post Rubber soul ... Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, The White Album, Abbey Road etc but also the odd duffer like Yellow Sumarine.

well yes... But if you take an entire side out of a whole lot of

albums they would be great!

• Like 1

Could it be The Beatles?

But side 2 is actually George Martin, no?

To name some artists, and bands, and groups, not in any particular order are: the Beatles (If it is from A Hard Day's Night to Let It Be, then it is eleven, and more, than six), ABBA, Heart, Cheap Trick, Rush, Triumph, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Yes, Genesis, the Rolling Stones, the Who, Queen, David Bowie, Bruce Springsteen including with the E. Street Band, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Billy Joel, Elton John, U2, Kiss, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and Scorpions. Edited by Derek19
  • Like 1

Lots of good posts here...I would nominate Miles Davis as well- the run of 17 studio albums from 1957-‘63 is pretty tough to beat (everything from Round About Midnight through Seven Steps to Heaven).

From 1965 to 1974, he had another run of 11 studio albums- from ESP through Get Up With It- that was as thrilling and innovative as it gets.

• Like 2

Could it be The Beatles?

Yellow Submarine was a contractual obligation. It's hardly a proper Beatles album.

• Like 2

Talking Heads up through and including Speaking in Tongues.

R.E.M. was impressively consistent all the through New Adventures in Hi-Fi.

Peter Gabriel was knocking it out of park through So.

• Like 1

Could it be The Beatles?

Yellow Submarine was a contractual obligation. It's hardly a proper Beatles album.

.... still an album .... still pretty crap

Could it be The Beatles?

OK. Side One has four original songs, none written or recorded specifically for the project, the two other songs were from previous albums. Side Two has no contributions from the Beatles whatsoever. It is what it is, a contractual release with no actual artistic input from the band whose name is on the cover.

• Like 2

Could it be The Beatles?

But context matters. We're talking about which of the Beatles' albums were great. You mentioned Yellow Sub as a "duffer," but while it is a Beatles' album in the technical sense, a whole side is soundtrack music by their producer. My point was really that the actual songs by the Beatles themselves are quite good. Only A Northern Song I'd place as one of their underappreciated gems in fact. I personally wouldn't hold that album against them.

• Like 3

Jimi Hendrix Experience (3 great albums)

Uh, Texas King, the question is who had the most consecutive great albums, not who had the greatest run of consecutive albums. Unless you don't think anybody ever topped 3 great ones in a row, which I don't think is what you meant.

Floyd fans, speak up!

As someone mostly unfamiliar with anything pre-DSOTM (aside from Meddle), how far back does the stretch of great albums go for PF? And would you count The Final Cut and onwards or cut it off at The Wall?

Could it be The Beatles?

Agreed. I liked the animated film when I was a kid.

• Like 1

Earl, Bon had six studio albums, plus If You Want Blood.

High Voltage

TNT

Dirty Deeds

Let There Be Rock

Powerage

[if You Want Blood You've Got It]

Highway to Hell

Was your .5 for Back in Black? ;)

Hahahaha! Oh fuckk! I missed one Allen. Thank you. Silly me I love to "RUSH" through time. Through everything! LOL!

You are funny. NO on "Back In Black."

"Jailbreak" ep.

OMG!! I get it about Bowie. Genius. I was on a beach in San Diego at night when my brother texted me that Bowie had died.

I was alone with my feet in the ocean. Sky was clear like the Milky Way. I cried and screamed NOOOOOOOOOOO STARMANNNNN! into the Universe that night.

"The Man Who Sold The World" is METAL. My favorite record by Bowie. "Station To Station" is genius and my second.

But guys and gals. "LET'S DANCE" is so UNDERRATED!!!!! I know it was MTV and commercial but my God, you have to give Bowie props and love for hired Stevie Ray Vaughan to play guitar on that record.

Holy Shit. It blows my mind. Also Bowie was smart enough to get Tony Thompson on the drums. CHIC drummer and of course of the best albums ever made..... POWER STATION!!!!!

• Like 3

I'd have to say Van Halen's first 6. You could argue for Sabbath's and Zeppelin's first 6 as well. The Stones 5 album run from Beggar's Banquet to Goat's Head Soup deserves mention.

This thread is like feeding roasted peanuts to a baby elephant! What?

All ABBA records. Sorry Pat.

AC/DC All Bon Scott recordings. 5.5 albums.......

ACCEPT!

Accept

I'm A Rebel

Breaker

Fast As A Shark

Balls To The Wall

Metal Heart

Russian Roulette (one of the most underrated fuckking metal albums on the Earth)

First 6 Alan Parsons Project albums...

Tales

I Robot

Pyramind

Eve

Trick

Eye

First five ANGEL records.

First 5 Bad Company records.

Billy Joel. Everything up to "The Nylon Curtin." "Innocent Man" sucks.

Blackfield I-V

First five Blondie records.

Every Blue Oyster Cult album up to "Club Ninja!" For PAT AND 73!!!! LOL

First 8 Camel records. Yes, "Nude" is great.

Def Leppard. 5.5 albums. The EP up to "Adrenalize."

First 5 Dokken albums. "Dysfunctional" kicks ass.

First five Dead Kennedy records. FRANKENCHRIST!!!!

First 6 Doobie Brothers records. I included "Taking It To The Streets" but Michael McDonald ruined that incredible band.

Elton John. A decade of masterpieces......1969-1979

FISHBONE!! FOR RERUSHED! So many albums and eps. EVERYTHING RULES!!!! "CRAZY GLUE!" 10 albums and eps.

Every Genesis album made!!!! "Calling All Stations" is a masterpiece.

Everything by GHOST!

Every album by IQ

First seven by Maiden.

Everything by Priest up to "Defenders."

KANSAS 1974-1980. For Pat and 73!

Every KISS record up to "Crazy Nights."

Marillion "Script" to "Brave"

First 5 Crue.

First 14 Neil Diamond albums.

Every OZZY record to "Ozzmosis."

First 6 Pendragon albums.

First 6 Townshend solo albums.

First 6 Rainbow albums.

Ahhh yes. My favorite part of this thread. RATT N ROLL BABY!!!!!!!! 7.5 albums in a row!!!!!!!! RATT EP to "Infestation."

First six Chili Peppers records.

All 9 SAVATAGE albums!!!! I am the "CITY BENEATH THE SURFACE!"

First 7 SAXON albums.

Every Scorpions album up to "Savage Amusement." Polished MTV commercial album but so slick and melodic.

First five Simon And Garfunkel albums.

First five STEEL PANTHER records!!! This band is saving METAL!

7 Steely Dan records all in a row.

The first ten STYX albums. Sorry PAT!!!!

All 11 Thin Lizzy records. Sorry Pat, I love the early Decca stuff.

First 5 TNT albums!

First 6 TOOL

First 5 Tower Of Power records

First 8 Triumph albums.

First 5 Twisted Sister albums.

First 5 U2 records

First 9 UFO albums. RIP PAUL CHAPMAN

Van Halen. The greatest six pack ever.

All 12 Whitesnake albums. "Purple Album" counts.

Every WHO record to "It's Hard." Saw that tour. Day On The Green. The Clash opened. Epic.

Oh yessssssss.................

Time to pimp one of the greatest bands in the world that not many care about...

YESTERDAY & TODAY and Y&T!

BEST SIX ALBUMS IN A ROW! Possibly......

Yesterday & Today

Struck Down

Earthshaker

Black Tiger

Mean Streak

In Rock We Trust

Every YES album to "BIG GENERATOR!" love that record.

Every ZZ TOP record to "Recycler."

YYZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I didn't know this would spark an alphabetical list of Earl's favorite bands and albums. Awesome! :)

Hahahahaha! I love you buddy! Thank you for letting me be me on your killer thread.

I am not crazy! Just in love with the music man. You fueled my passion last night.

Surprisingly I left a lot out. LOL!!!

I am far from perfect. I can't believe I left out a Bon album.

Oh well.

So I am seriously thinking about writing a book.

I just want you to know that I am a music addict. But my ex wife and my two girls always came first. My daughters will always be number one.

So on that note being divorced for 5 years thanks to my Rush Passion.

My book title.....

"I Married The Music....... Women And Children First."

Do you see the irony and the Van Halen reference?

Do you think Eddie and Dave would sue me?

Serious question.

• Like 3

Could it be The Beatles?

But context matters. We're talking about which of the Beatles' albums were great. You mentioned Yellow Sub as a "duffer," but while it is a Beatles' album in the technical sense, a whole side is soundtrack music by their producer. My point was really that the actual songs by the Beatles themselves are quite good. Only A Northern Song I'd place as one of their underappreciated gems in fact. I personally wouldn't hold that album against them.

I agree with everything you say .... Only A Northern Song is a gem no doubt, the other Beatles songs are quite good, But 3 quite good songs and 1 gem does not a great album make. The real argument is .... Is this a Beatles album? .... most Beatles discographys say yes.... therefore breaking the consecutive list of great albums.