treeduck

I don't think anyone is being hysteric when they talk about long term effects. This virus is not like previous viruses. There is all sorts of medical evidence to that affect. I worry that there is way too much complacency.

We have a longtime family friend in Florida who still believes the pandemic has all been concocted by the Democrats to discredit Trump. Florida of all places. So the news I saw here in Osaka last night which reported the numbers specifically in Tokyo was fake and all done by U.S. Democrats?! Oh nevermind, you said “complacency”, not “stupidity”. :P

It sucks that we're having Trump during a pandemic tbh... not only from that, but Trump doesn't really care much about this pandemic. I'm sorry, but he really doesn't.
  • Like 2

I beg everyone to wear a mask. Whether you think a mask will help or not, please wear it. It shows that you care about others.

Geeeeez this is a hard time to live in :(

I guess it's time to listen to the lyrics in Everyday Glory

• Like 1

I beg everyone to wear a mask. Whether you think a mask will help or not, please wear it. It shows that you care about others.

Not really, in any historical sense.
  • Like 2

wellllll that is kinda true

wellllll that is kinda true

I mean The Great Depression was worse...

Every previous era was worse, in terms of healthcare, technology (thank god for my contact lenses!), equality, attitudes about race, class, or poverty, etc. But it would be perverse to judge today's shitstorm by 1920 standards, or 920, etc. For what we have available to us today, we are not handling a pandemic very well. It's not comforting to think what we'd be like if it really were something like the Spanish Flu or the Bubonic Plague -- you know there'd still be people downplaying it or denying the science: "oh, it's only killed about 1 in 3, so not everybody will die." Ron DeSantis would probably still have the beaches open.
  • Like 1

Every previous era was worse, in terms of healthcare, technology (thank god for my contact lenses!), equality, attitudes about race, class, or poverty, etc. But it would be perverse to judge today's shitstorm by 1920 standards, or 920, etc. For what we have available to us today, we are not handling a pandemic very well.

I agree, but probably for different reasons.

Every previous era was worse, in terms of healthcare, technology (thank god for my contact lenses!), equality, attitudes about race, class, or poverty, etc. But it would be perverse to judge today's shitstorm by 1920 standards, or 920, etc. For what we have available to us today, we are not handling a pandemic very well. It's not comforting to think what we'd be like if it really were something like the Spanish Flu or the Bubonic Plague -- you know there'd still be people downplaying it or denying the science: "oh, it's only killed about 1 in 3, so not everybody will die." Ron DeSantis would probably still have the beaches open.

Besides the 1 in 3 death stat, DeSantis could have extreme chills, gangrene in his fingers, and have blood pouring from his mouth and asshole (which really is the same hole anyway) yet still not believe the Plague is a threat.

• Like 2

To get herd immunity we need about 70% of the population to get infected with the virus, some might be immune, most not. Currently around 15 million people have been infected, officially. The real figure is probably 6 times higher. So if we assume then that 90 million people have been infected, that's still only 1.125% of the world's population with a 613,355 fatalities, officially. So if 70% get the virus when all is said and done and 30% never get it, that 600 k could end up turning into 45 million deaths, worse case scenario with 70% infected, just going by the figures. Edited by treeduck
  • Like 2

Geddy has come out on Instagram with his feelings about masking up- these posts are all his from this afternoon. (this is not an invitation to argue masks, this is not SOCN)

FSm5PHel.png1Q0DEEVl.pngaAforkvl.pngqmtmERfl.png. a26T0pEl.png

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 5

My stepmom had two family members die from it. And three people from the store she works in had it. (She took a leave of absence.) My friend’s mom was exposed to it by her caretaker—friend and mom tested negative, thank goodness.

It’s pretty scary. I legitimately have not left my house in over four months. I had to leave my awesome job because I’m terrified of bringing the virus back home to my family. :(

Over 150,000 Americans are dead. It breaks my heart.

Edited by Disk98
  • Like 4

My stepmom had two family members die from it. And three people from the store she works in had it. (She took a leave of absence.) My friend’s mom was exposed to it by her caretaker—friend and mom tested negative, thank goodness.

It’s pretty scary. I legitimately have not left my house in over four months. I had to leave my awesome job because I’m terrified of bringing the virus back home to my family. :(

Where do you live? I'm beginning to think I live in the one state in this country that doesn't have its head up its ass when it comes to how they have handled it. It seems almost everyone outside of New York state has dropped the ball on this.

Where do you live? I'm beginning to think I live in the one state in this country that doesn't have its head up its ass when it comes to how they have handled it. It seems almost everyone outside of New York state has dropped the ball on this.

Florida. You want to talk about dropping the ball…I mean, they aren’t doing ANYTHING down here. The sad thing is that there are so many people (specifically old, white, and male) that simply can’t be bothered to wear masks because they feel that it’s a way for the government to control people. I know politics belong in SOCN, but I just to point out that people’s very lives are being politicized.

• Like 5

Same here. I finally got my unemployment money and debit card a day ago. Yes, it’s nice I have the most money I’ve ever had and can pay off my iPhone and college grant debt in one sum instead of monthly but I miss the simple pleasures of going outside whether it’s going to the beach on train, subway and metro express (since I don’t drive) or the downtown village where I grew up to shop records and try new restaurants, shop at my organic market or visit my niece and nephew out of state in UT. Instead, we can’t be New Zealand or Taiwan because of ignorant Karens who trust dumb mean Orange guy from Queens and his school of hard knocks crap instead of doctors due to their anti intellectual partisan hackery. My little niece and nephew are more mature and smart than these covidiot maskholes.

On the bright side, the owner of my place of work is okay with me coming back when America is run by non selfish humans with an IQ beyond 2 digits and an approved vaccine. She’s always appreciated by work so I’m not surprised.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 3

Florida. You want to talk about dropping the ball…I mean, they aren’t doing ANYTHING down here. The sad thing is that there are so many people (specifically old, white, and male) that simply can’t be bothered to wear masks because they feel that it’s a way for the government to control people. I know politics belong in SOCN, but I just to point out that people’s very lives are being politicized.

I hear you. Most of my immediate family’s in Florida. And there’s a longtime family friend who always comes to our family gatherings. At the gatherings he’s fine and never mentions politics BUT when he gets on social media / Facebook, he becomes the “old, white male” that you’re talking about. He still doesn’t believe COVID-19 is a big deal. I’m not even sure if he think it’s real. As far as I know, he doesn’t wear a mask. What else? He’s stated that people who don’t want schools to reopen are “chicken”. Exact word he used. And he’s got two elementary school age girls too. Dangerous and foolish.

It’s sad that this has become political to those who believe that they magically know what’s right for everyone because they’re of a certain race, gender or party. I’ve been indie for 3 years and green before that and have voted republican candidates in offices outside of POTUS including governor so I’m not blinded by D or R crap. I’m no fan of the “non Trump” candidate but I would like America to still freaking exist instead of “trying to own the other side” even if it means the end of a country’s empire. Even with Herman Cain’s death, the minions will deflect and spin because white republican is “magically” not to blame on anything. Instead of blaming him for disbanding the pandemic team and ignoring briefings, they blame China with their usual “EVERYTHING I DONT LIKE IS FAKE NEWS!” strawman.

At least under war criminal Dubya, I was able to work without risking dying of a deadly virus and visit family and friends and go outside. The pendulum needs to swing left of Hitler/Atilla for the GOP and go back to being the party of Lincoln regarding that Lincoln Project founded by George Conway. We would be nowhere near this mess if Romney, McCain, Dubya and Kasich were sworn in, I guarantee.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1

Here in N. Ireland, wearing facemasks in shops becomes mandatory on Monday........ about bloody time I say!
  • Like 5

Here in N. Ireland, wearing facemasks in shops becomes mandatory on Monday........ about bloody time I say!

It's been mandatory for us to wear masks in situations where social distancing isn't possible since everything went on lockdown back in March. If you're out grocery shopping or just going in to the corner store, I would say about 95 percent of people have them on. Very few people are without masks right now when going out somewhere. You can't even use public transportation if your face isn't covered with some kind of mask. They provide the drivers with extra masks to give to people but if they don't have any left then they can't let the person on.

• Like 5

It's been mandatory for us to wear masks in situations where social distancing isn't possible since everything went on lockdown back in March. If you're out grocery shopping or just going in to the corner store, I would say about 95 percent of people have them on. Very few people are without masks right now when going out somewhere. You can't even use public transportation if your face isn't covered with some kind of mask. They provide the drivers with extra masks to give to people but if they don't have any left then they can't let the person on.

It has been mandatory here on public transport for some time, but not in shops. TBH I don't feel comfortable going into a shop or supermarket without a mask on , but so far most people here just don't bother. Hopefully from Monday they will get the message and cover up!!
  • Like 5