Chicago vs. Genesis

pick one  

23 members have voted

1. 1. band

2. 2. definitive 70s album

• Chicago II
    • Selling England By The Pound
  3. 3. definitive 80s album

I have to say, Chicago 17 or Invisible as the "definitive 80s album" makes me lol.

And it's Genesis over Chicago for me.

yeah, I don't really get how some of these polls are worded... maybe they define everything wrong with the 80s?

They are, by my brief analysis of their sales, the definitive record of the 80s incarnation of each band. Chicago 17 is the definitive Chicago record of their 80s material, and Invisible Touch is the definitive Genesis record of their 80s material. At least, I think so.

• Like 1

Looks like I am the hold out for Chicago! I do like a lot of Genesis but I'm taking Chicago for favorite band. Definitely Chicago II over Selling England, but Invisible Touch for the final.
  • Like 3

Genesis - Post Gabriel actually had some good albums and even good solo Collins for awhile.

Chicago on the other hand...”Nickelback of the 80s.” 7:10 in:

Fast forward to number 3 for Peter’s duet with Amy Grant.

“THIS GUY!”

Strangely enough, Genesis is at number 5 with Tonight Tonight Tonight.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1

Two bands who were on the cutting edge of rock music in the wee early 70s, had some lineup changes later that decade, and wound up commanding the pop charts by the mid-late 80s. Which do you choose?

I'll take new Genesis Pop-rock over Chicago's sappy love songs any day of the week.

But that's not saying much.

Edited by grep
  • Like 2

Nice one!

Two epic bands that lost their edge in the 80s, but triumphed with monster hits nonetheless.

Genesis is in my top 3 favorite bands, so they win.

However the waves of nostalgia that hit me when I hear ‘I’ve Been Searching So Long” are almost overwhelming.

What a band. Too many talented guys. Genesis suffered the same problems, but Chicago really did overflow with talent. Even when they lost Kath.

• Like 2

Two bands who were on the cutting edge of rock music in the wee early 70s, had some lineup changes later that decade, and wound up commanding the pop charts by the mid-late 80s. Which do you choose?

I'll take new Genesis Pop-rock over Chicago's sappy love songs any day of the week.

But that's not saying much.

On top of that some good music videos. Land Of Confusion is my favorite music video of all time.

Along Comes A Woman is a good homage to Indiana Jones, though.

• Like 1

before i answer EP. i just want to say. keep these going.

i enjoy them. and it's ridiculous the over the top negative reaction you got. i'll answer all these even if everyone stops, lol

This is a tougher poll. As a whole I prefer Genesis because just the Phil years alone Beat Chicago. but just by a hair mind you.

However I prefer Chicago II to Selling far and away.

And Invisible touch wins. not a fan of pop Chicago. Genesis did Pop far better, IMO.

So really this is a split poll for me, lol

Mick

I may not have the exact same opinions as Mick, but he is right on at least concerning Chicago II vs. SEBTP and Genesis doing pop better than Chicago.

I agree this is a split poll. Since I have to answer all of the questions, I did not vote (and it is hard).

• Like 1

I've liked Genesis more, than Chicago. For me, it's been Genesis.

Chicago for me although I have never heard a full album by either one. It's just a comfort level and familiarity thing for me I guess. Hard to explain...

Unless I'm thinking of someone else I remember you saying on here you were a huge Yes fan and being how Genesis were similar and often compared to Yes I'm surprised to hear you say you never heard an album by them and also prefer Chicago. I would suggest checking out the full albums of 70's Genesis or at least some of the PG ones if you get a chance. If you don't like the vocals then I can understand that and you can forget I mentioned it. Lol.