1 Crack The Skye

2. The Hunter

3. Hushed and Grim

4. Once More Round The Sun

5. Blood Mountain

6. Remission

7. Emperor of Sand

8. Leviathan

I didn't include the EP but i too love al the songs.

And i prefer te albums fron Crack the Skye on.  aside from EOS which i get quite bored by.  But if you know anything about me i don't really like metal with overly harsh vocals.  So most ties when a metal band starts out that way it's my least fav period.  Mastodon smoothed out vocally a bit from CTS on so that's my period.

yea i make no secret that mostly harsh vocals annoy the fukk out of me, lol

Mick

With you 100%. Harsh vocals to me are an instrument to be used for color, not the main event. Devin Townsend does it really well, especially as he's gotten older. His screams always have a "note", though, so it works.

I tried Mastodon a while back starting at the beginning but just didn't go further after Leviathan. I need to try it again and start with their later works to see if they stick.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Analog Cub said:

With you 100%. Harsh vocals to me are an instrument to be used for color, not the main event. Devin Townsend does it really well, especially as he's gotten older. His screams always have a "note", though, so it works.

I tried Mastodon a while back starting at the beginning but just didn't go further after Leviathan. I need to try it again and start with their later works to see if they stick.

Dude  try Crack the Skye.....think it'll change your mind entirly. Segue might tell you Blood Mountain.  but it's STILL mainly harsh vocals but you can hear them changing style.   still pck Crack the Skye.  More clean vocals and more prog-y

i'm not trying to be a dick but Harsh vocals all the way through sounds like i'm being burped at, lol.

yes they're hard to do.  doesn't mean i find them any less silly when over used.  Just my opinion.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Mastodon:

1. Emperor Of Sand/Cold Place EP

2. Blood Mountain

3. Leviathan

4. Remission 

5. Once More 'Round The Sun

6. Call Of The Mastodon

7. Hushed And Grim

8. Crack The Skye 

9. The Hunter

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I figured Mastodon would be the kind of band I would like but when I've tried their stuff nothing really hit.

They aren't for everyone

I got into them in 2005/06 with Leviathan. I don't think anyone saw them becoming a major label concern the way they did...they aren't I think the most accessible metal band out there. 

Not for everyone. I think their discography is close to faultless, but I don't love them as much as, say, Trivium or Machine Head.

1. Crack the Skye

2. Leviathan

3. Hushed & Grim

4. Emperor of Sand/Cold Dark Place EP

5. Blood Mountain

6. Once More 'Round the Sun

7. The Hunter

8. Remission

2 & 3 and 4 & 5 are interchangeable. And I gotta admit I remember almost nothing on The Hunter or Remission. There just aren't any standout tracks to me on those two records.

• Like 2

Temples

1. Sun Structures [The Golden Throne]

2. Volcano [Strange Or Be Forgotten]

3. Hot Motion [The Beam]

4. Exotico [Cicada]

On 5/1/2023 at 10:44 AM, bluefox4000 said:

Dude  try Crack the Skye.....think it'll change your mind entirly. Segue might tell you Blood Mountain.  but it's STILL mainly harsh vocals but you can hear them changing style.   still pck Crack the Skye.  More clean vocals and more prog-y

i'm not trying to be a dick but Harsh vocals all the way through sounds like i'm being burped at, lol.

yes they're hard to do.  doesn't mean i find them any less silly when over used.  Just my opinion.

Mick

Alright I took your advice and went on a post-Leviathan binge of the catalog.

Holy shit, this is GOOD. Okay...The Hunter leaves a lot to be desired, but everything else is awesome. Hushed and Grim has such an awesome, eerie/cold vibe that I dig. I did go back and try Leviathan and Remission again, and Remission, while I respect their early angry years, just isn't for me. Leviathan at least has some really good bits sprinkled in and Blood Mountain is a good, albeit angrier counterpart to Crack the Skye.

Where I'm currently sitting:

1. Emperor of Sand - perfect

2. Crack the Skye - near perfect, production is garbage IMO but the songs are awesome

3. Hushed and Grim - cut off a couple lesser songs (e.g. Dagger) and this would be #2

4. Blood Mountain - changing style to something I like but they kept the really good raw instrumental bits about the early years I like. The harsh vocals here are a little more tolerable.

5. One More 'Round the Sun - the highs are high but there's a couple duds that bring it down.  A little inconsistent. EoS is an example of doing this so much better

6. The Hunter - they really swung and missed for the most part, but a few songs are really good

7. Leviathan - awesome instrumental parts like on Megalodon and such, but not my style

8. Remission - too angry/growly without the good parts of Leviathan

• Like 1

On 5/3/2023 at 7:37 AM, Union 5-3992 said:

1. Crack the Skye

2. Leviathan

3. Hushed & Grim

4. Emperor of Sand/Cold Dark Place EP

5. Blood Mountain

6. Once More 'Round the Sun

7. The Hunter

8. Remission

2 & 3 and 4 & 5 are interchangeable. And I gotta admit I remember almost nothing on The Hunter or Remission. There just aren't any standout tracks to me on those two records.

Dry Bone Valley and All The Heavy Lifting are two good Hunter tracks that I've found as a new listener

3 minutes ago, The Analog Cub said:

Holy shit, this is GOOD. Okay...The Hunter leaves a lot to be desired, but everything else is awesome. Hushed and Grim has such an awesome, eerie/cold vibe that I dig. I did go back and try Leviathan and Remission again, and Remission, while I respect their early angry years, just isn't for me. Leviathan at least has some really good bits sprinkled in and Blood Mountain is a good, albeit angrier counterpart to Crack the Skye.

2. Crack the Skye - near perfect, production is garbage IMO but the songs are awesome

3. Hushed and Grim - cut off a couple lesser songs (e.g. Dagger) and this would be #2

4. Blood Mountain - changing style to something I like but they kept the really good raw instrumental bits about the early years I like. The harsh vocals here are a little more tolerable.

5. One More 'Round the Sun - the highs are high but there's a couple duds that bring it down.  A little inconsistent. EoS is an example of doing this so much better

6. The Hunter - they really swung and missed for the most part, but a few songs are really good

7. Leviathan - awesome instrumental parts like on Megalodon and such, but not my style

i'm glad you tried and i knew it!!!! and yea if you don't like harsh vocals as i do not the first 2 (even adding Blood mountain to a lesser extent) is not the best starting point.  Segue told me Leviathan was considered a classic but i cannot get passed those vocals.

But Crack the Skye kick starts a special run and Hushed and Grim is such a cool double album.

Gad you continued cause stopping short deprives you of their best work IMO

Mick

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluefox4000 said:

i'm glad you tried and i knew it!!!! and yea if you don't like harsh vocals as i do not the first 2 (even adding Blood mountain to a lesser extent) is not the best starting point.  Segue told me Leviathan was considered a classic but i cannot get passed those vocals.

But Crack the Skye kick starts a special run and Hushed and Grim is such a cool double album.

Gad you continued cause stopping short deprives you of their best work IMO

Mick

I understand why Leviathan's considered a classic. It really is one of a kind and is a landmark album for them. The harsher elements just aren't my brand.

A few years ago I should've started with Emperor of Sand and worked backwards, like I did when starting with Dream Theater - still glad I did that instead of starting with WDADU or Images and Words, the production is hopelessly dated on those two and I rate I&W a lot lower than most DT fans.

• Like 1

If there's one thing I learned while going through Mastodon's catalog - Brent Hinds figured out how to put banjo-style picking into a metallic electric guitar and it f***ing works.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Analog Cub said:

I understand why Leviathan's considered a classic. It really is one of a kind and is a landmark album for them. The harsher elements just aren't my brand.

A few years ago I should've started with Emperor of Sand and worked backwards, like I did when starting with Dream Theater - still glad I did that instead of starting with WDADU or Images and Words, the production is hopelessly dated on those two and I rate I&W a lot lower than most DT fans.

The last time i visited I & W i still love the tunes but i went man those drums SUCK.  they screwed Portnoy over. I lve the material on it though.  it deserved better.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bluefox4000 said:

The last time i visited I & W i still love the tunes but i went man those drums SUCK.  they screwed Portnoy over. I lve the material on it though.  it deserved better.

Mick

If I&W could go through a remaster to sound like Black Clouds and Silver Linings - the late Portnoy-era drums and the perfect guitar tone Petrucci has maintained since 2009 onto the present day - it would be so much better.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2023 at 12:46 PM, The Analog Cub said:

Haken (2023 version)

1. Fauna

2. Affinity

3. Virus

4. The Mountain

5. Visions

6. Vector

7. Aquarius

They really did outdo themselves with Fauna. It's an instant classic.

Still accurate after Fauna has had plenty of time to bake. Fauna is my absolute favorite from them and I wasn't sure they'd ever top Affinity, even if Virus was awesome.

Interestingly enough, Visions (the title track) is a really hard one to dethrone as one of, if not the best, Haken tracks.

Edited by The Analog Cub
  • Like 1

Leviathan is a straight up classic, but that's not the same as saying its gonna be everyone's favourite. 

8 hours ago, The Analog Cub said:

Don't forget to try the Cold, Dark Place EP!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, The Analog Cub said:

Still accurate after Fauna has had plenty of time to bake. Fauna is my absolute favorite from them and I wasn't sure they'd ever top Affinity, even if Virus was awesome.

Interestingly enough, Visions (the title track) is a really hard one to dethrone as one of, if not the best, Haken tracks.

I Totally agree with all of that ! 👍😎

:yes:

Jackson Browne

1. The Pretender

2. Running On Empty'

3. For Everyman

4. Hold On

5. Late For The Sky

6. Jackson Browne

7. Lawyers In love

8. The Naked Ride Home

9. Time The Conqueror

10.  Downhill From Everywhere

11 Standing In the Breach

12. Looking East

13. Lives in the Balance

14. I'm Alive

15. World In Motion

I love Jackson his first 6 abums are all prime too me it gets a little spotty.  In the 80's like many of his 70's contemporaries he struggled a bit.  the 2 90's albums (East and im Alive) are OK.  but starting at the Naked Ride Home.. He had a bit of a (if a tad too political) comeback.  Cause amongst the politics he brought back the tuneful storyteller.  and his recent....Downhil from Everywhere is quite good.

Mick

Foo Fighters:

The Great 

(I was shocked when I sat down to rank and realised...man this band has a killer discography)

1. Sonic Highways 

2. Wasting Light 

3. The Colour And The Shape

4. Echoes, Silence, Patience And Grace

5. But Here We Are

6. Foo Fighters 

7. There Is Nothing Left To Lose

8. Concrete And Gold

The Good

(Whilst I love those eight albums above, these two have serious filler)

9. One By One

10. In Your Honor (disc one would be at nine, disc two drags it down)

The Bad

(I know this album has its fans. I'm not one of them, but they get my respect for trying things)

11. Medicine At Midnight

• Like 2

Updated Dan Fogelberg

1. Windows and Walls (My new fav.  it's perfect t has all the great sides of him in one album. with less Innocent Age Pretentiousness.

2. Captured Angel

3. Souvenirs

4. Innocent Age (huge hit and rightfully so.  some fantastic music to be heard,  but there are moments of i'm important creeping in on here)

5. Nether Lands (another one that gets better the more you time you spend on it)

6.  Phoenix (great intro album and i still recommend it as a jump off point.  but ultimately not often i reach for it....i will pick tunes off it i want to hear though.  Also has Longer and.......that's the worst song he ever wrote.)

7.  Exiles (one i reach for even less though Lonely in love is amazing)

8.  Home Free

9. The Wild Places

10. High Country Snows

he has others but these are the ones i know and really his tank drys up after 1987.

Mick

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Updated Dan Fogelberg

1. Windows and Walls (My new fav.  it's perfect t has all the great sides of him in one album. with less Innocent Age Pretentiousness.

2. Captured Angel

3. Souvenirs

4. Innocent Age (huge hit and rightfully so.  some fantastic music to be heard,  but there are moments of i'm important creeping in on here)

5. Nether Lands (another one that gets better the more you time you spend on it)

6.  Phoenix (great intro album and i still recommend it as a jump off point.  but ultimately not often i reach for it....i will pick tunes off it i want to hear though.  Also has Longer and.......that's the worst song he ever wrote.)

7.  Exiles (one i reach for even less though Lonely in love is amazing)

8.  Home Free

9. The Wild Places

10. High Country Snows

he has others but these are the ones i know and really his tank drys up after 1987.

Mick

Captured Angel is beautiful- love that album. No Twin Sons From Different Mothers? Just curious, maybe it doesn't fit with the solo releases. I don't mind it but it was one of my sister's absolute favorites.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blueschica said:

Captured Angel is beautiful- love that album. No Twin Sons From Different Mothers? Just curious, maybe it doesn't fit with the solo releases. I don't mind it but it was one of my sister's absolute favorites.

it's a colab album so i didn't include but it's just ok mostly instrumental.

Power of Gold is a banger.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Avenged Sevenfold:

8. Life Is But A Dream...

Life Is But A Dream... a title that brings to mind stories that definitely could be about a princess. Why? Cos this is a car crash.

7. Sounding The Seventh Trumpet

I like it. Definitely sounds like a debut, there is good stuff here but it's pretty generic.

6. Nightmare

Some fans think this is their best work, and it deserves to be recognised as such. I love it, just not as much as other albums.

5. Waking The Fallen

I feel this should be my favourite. My god, when I was 15 I thought this was incredible. But alas, I'm not 15 anymore.

4. The Stage

The band went full prog, epic, bombastic, and I love it. I didn't like it when it came out, but it's grown on me. I do suspect the same will happen with the new album, just not today.

3. Avenged Sevenfold

Apparently this album was divisive when it came out. I remember hearing apparently the fans weren't happy...but what I actually saw was massive sales, huge singles, happy fans and...Well...I love this album.

2. Hail To The King 

"This album is generic, they are ripping off all classic metal bands, it's pandering to the mainstream".

Of all the so called "black albums"- you know, that album where a hard edged metal band softens somewhat and writes songs your nan can singalong too as she fingerblasts her arthritis into oblivion on a cold night- this one is my favourite. 

1. City Of Evil 

It's just a masterpiece.

My turn

A7X

1. City of Evil

2. Life is but A Dream..... (Could easily be my fav soon though)

3. The Stage

4. A7X

5.Waking The Fallen

6. Nightmare (good but i'd say the most overrated of the bunch) 

7. Hail to the King (at best a fun tribute.....at worst just bland)

8. Sounding The seventh Trumpet.

No album here is bad though

Mick