Jump to content

Rank Your Favorite Bands' Albums


ST3V
 Share

Recommended Posts

Combed through this thread and i did about four bands twice between 2022-2024, lol - but surprisingly never once DT (unless i missed it)

 

Dream Theater

1. Images and Words (undeniably hit the nail on the head with this one and were never able to replicate the albums "feel" above all else)

2. Metropolis Pt 2: Scenes From a Memory (i listened through this album against recently and it wasn't as awe inspiring as i remember it being when i first listened to it as a teen, but that said it's still to this day arguably the most groundbreaking Prog Metal album there is with the way it bridges so many elements together all while being a good, coherent story)

3. Octavarium

4. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

5. Black Clouds & Silver Linings (rated high due to sentimental bias probably, as this was the first DT album they released after I had gotten into the band)

6. A Dramatic Turn of Events

7. Awake

8. Train of Thought

9. Falling Into Inifity (it would have made sense if they changed it into a double album and tagged on "Change of Seasons" - why not? def would be ranked higher if that were the case) 

10. A View From the Top of the World

11. Dream Theater

12. Systematic Chaos (I've always found this one to be too portnoy - in the bad way. too heavy, and they experimented with the vocals in a way they shouldn't have. they did the more aggressive metal approach much better with ToT)

 

(i'm a little apathetic about these next few albums, there are some songs I really like from each but overall.. meh at best. i do think i need to give Distance Over Time and the debut more listens, though)

13. Distance Over Time

14. When Day and Dream Unite

15. The Astonishing (hey, Gift of Music is a great song you can find in that >2 hour mess! ...and i remember some other sections of certain songs being cool too, but I'll let someone else find them)

Edited by Mr. Not
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Mr. Not said:

Combed through this thread and i did about four bands twice between 2022-2024, lol - but surprisingly never once DT (unless i missed it)

 

Dream Theater

1. Images and Words (undeniably hit the nail on the head with this one and were never able to replicate the albums "feel" above all else)

2. Metropolis Pt 2: Scenes From a Memory (i listened through this album against recently and it wasn't as awe inspiring as i remember it being when i first listened to it as a teen, but that said it's still to this day arguably the most groundbreaking Prog Metal album there is with the way it bridges so many elements together all while being a good, coherent story)

3. Octavarium

4. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

5. Black Clouds & Silver Linings (rated high due to sentimental bias probably, as this was the first DT album they released after I had gotten into the band)

6. A Dramatic Turn of Events

7. Awake

8. Train of Thought

9. Falling Into Inifity (it would have made sense if they changed it into a double album and tagged on "Change of Seasons" - why not? def would be ranked higher if that were the case) 

10. A View From the Top of the World

11. Dream Theater

12. Systematic Chaos (I've always found this one to be too portnoy - in the bad way. too heavy, and they experimented with the vocals in a way they shouldn't have. they did the more aggressive metal approach much better with ToT)

 

(i'm a little apathetic about these next few albums, there are some songs I really like from each but overall.. meh at best. i do think i need to give Distance Over Time and the debut more listens, though)

13. Distance Over Time

14. When Day and Dream Unite

15. The Astonishing (hey, Gift of Music is a great song you can find in that >2 hour mess! ...and i remember some other sections of certain songs being cool too, but I'll let someone else find them)

 

this is gonna seem petty.  but it's refreshing  to see a list where Awake is near mid.  i'd put it at like 8 or 9.  but my point here is everyone loves it.  i'm not nuts about it.

 

So many folks have it at like 1 or 2 and i'm like...........REALLLLLLLY THOUGH?:laugh:

 

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

 

this is gonna seem petty.  but it's refreshing  to see a list where Awake is near mid.  i'd put it at like 8 or 9.  but my point here is everyone loves it.  i'm not nuts about it.

 

So many folks have it at like 1 or 2 and i'm like...........REALLLLLLLY THOUGH?:laugh:

 

Mick

 

I do think it's a great album but I like the ones I put above it more (no shit right?) :laugh:

 

It has a similar appeal to Images and Words production and sound-wise but there are some key differences that set it apart; compared to Images and Words it's often heavier and colder rather than soft and warm. the songwriting isn't also quite as tight, certain songs drag or I tend to skip, but the album isn't without its masterpieces either - Lifting Shadows off a Dream is probably my favorite song by Myung for example. But yeah, I've seen a lot of people rank Awake on par with or even above Images and Words and I definitely disagree there, no question. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Mr. Not said:

 

I do think it's a great album but I like the ones I put above it more (no shit right?) :laugh:

 

It has a similar appeal to Images and Words production and sound-wise but there are some key differences that set it apart; compared to Images and Words it's often heavier and colder rather than soft and warm. the songwriting isn't also quite as tight, certain songs drag or I tend to skip, but the album isn't without its masterpieces either - Lifting Shadows off a Dream is probably my favorite song by Myung for example. But yeah, I've seen a lot of people rank Awake on par with or even above Images and Words and I definitely disagree there, no question. 

 

it's an album i like but your right it could use editing.  but this is DT editing was never their thing anyway, lol

 

Mick

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/7/2024 at 1:12 PM, bluefox4000 said:

 

it's an album i like but your right it could use editing.  but this is DT editing was never their thing anyway, lol

 

Mick

This exchange inspired me to give Awake another full visit today, because I thought maybe we're in the wrong here.

 

We're not.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Mr. Not said:

This exchange inspired me to give Awake another full visit today, because I thought maybe we're in the wrong here.

 

We're not.

It's my absolute favourite to be honest, and I find Images And Words suffers for me because that early 90s metal production style always makes everything sound like a demo. I think Awake has better songs and better production. It's my favourite DT album to be honest. Distance Over Time and View From...are likely in my top three at this point too.

 

Still...all just opinions.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lacuna Coil:

 

1. Delirium (I think 2016 was an amazing year for Lacuna Coil. They returned to the scene with style, great critical acclaim and won over many younger fans. Sales were steady, but the album itself is just faultless. I think the lineup change really brought new life to them, and this is their most daring album to date. The music videos this time around are stellar as well, particularly the one for You Love Me 'Cause I Hate You, which is very cinematic. Their is a joyous sense of ambition and creativity on display here, which contrasts magnificently with the intensity of the material. House Of Shame, Ultima Ratio and My Demons are the highlights for me. The bonus tracks are great (though i can see why they were cut, with their cover of Madonna's Live To Tell being arguably their best cover to date)

 

2. Unleashed Memories (Gothic metal perfection. Sure, you can hear that this was a low budget production, but the songs are sublime. Heir Of A Dying Day is a beautifulopening track that really, I think, helped define Lacuna Coil's style. Unleashed Memories sees the band rise above their early influences. If Comalies is the better known album, Unleashed Memories is the better album. Cold Heritage, Distant Sun and When A Dead Man Walks are hypnotically captivating songs.)

 

3. Karmacode (yes, I put my all time favourite albums at third place. See! I cam be objective, people! But yes, this is my personal favourite album, but if i take nostalgia and personal feelings out of the equation, I think Delirium and Unleashed Memories are better. Still, Within Me, Fragments Of Faith, In Visible Light, Without Fear and Our Truth are songs that define my life. Periodt.)

 

4. Broken Crown Halo (Stunning album. It ended the era with the same lineup that first recorded the HalfLife EP back in 2000. It fittingly sounds like a combination of everything that came before. This album is perfect for newbies. One Cold Day is possibly their best ballad. A tribute to a former band member who passed away, it took on new meaning for me when my mum passed. Songs like I Forgive and Hostage To The Light are so melodically and vocally exuberant, its a wonder this band never broke through to the mainstream.)

 

5. Comalies (The fan favourite, the genre staple, the critical darling. It's fifth place, but first place in my heart. Eew that's gross, never saying that again. Let me try again: this album makes me moist. There, that is better).

 

6. Dark Adrenaline (Its like Shallow Life, only a million times better. Better songs, better hooks, better solos, better vocals, better production. Had this come out instead of Shallow Life, I think they would have had a much gentler backlash. Is it generic? Yeah. Does it really matter of the songs are fantastic? No. I'd actually love to see the band revisit this album, get rid of Don Gilmore who basically tried to turn them into Linkin Coil, and really let these songs soar. If I have one complaint, the songs feel too tightly edited. There is little room for spontaneity here, but the way the album charges through the hooks is brilliant all the same. With songs as brilliant as Intoxicated, The Army Inside, Kill The Light, My Spirit...its a bit odd they felt the need to add in a cover of REMs Losing My Religion.)

 

7. In A Reverie (The Gathering's Mandylion and Paradise Lost's Draconian Times lovechild, only it's not as attractive as either parent. Still, this is a wonderful debut that really feels like a step into the past. Of all the gothic metal debut albums, I think this one has cause to believe its the finest. Veins Of Glass, My Wings, To Myself I Turned, Falling Again...gosh this album is STACKED with killer songs.)

 

8. Black Anima (The songs are great, the production is not. Also their are moments throughout where sections of songs sound plagiarised from their back catalogue. Save Me has a chorus that sounds almost exactly the same as the chorus to Ultima Ratio from Delirium. Also, Under The Surface has a vocal line in the verse that is beat for beat the same as Andi's in Give Me Something More from Dark Adrenaline. I'm all for recycling of ideas, but Save Me literally sounds like a song from the previous album. Anyway, still great songs. Layers Of Time is a beautiful slice of emotionally hefty alt metal that takes the beauty of a song like The Ghost Woman And The Hunter and beefs it up with a touch of House Of Shames flair for drama. Its beautiful. And the rest of the album is top five material, its just...the production...its iffy. Black Anima has so much to offer and it's limitations are annoying).

 

9. Shallow Life (It's a sad thing: they really thought they had a smash hit here, but the album came out, upset everyone, and nearly lost them a fanbase. I think working with Don Gilmore, he who worked with Linkin Park, Kelly Clarkson and Avril Lavigne, really ruined this albums chance to shine. He made it clear to the band he didn't think their older music was his thing, and he said himself he was shocked the band chose him. He took away everything he didn't like about Lacuna Coil and tried to mould them to fit the pop charts of 2009. So basically, he hated everything that makes Lacuna Coil magic. Dark Adrenaline did much to rectify the damage but it took til 2016, seven years later, for anyone to really take them seriously again. Me? I don't mind this album. I cringed at the time, and I actually think creatively, the band learned a lot from this album. Their ability to write huge hooks is the albums selling point, and they only improved on this when the heaviness came back later on. Still, I'm Not Afraid, Wide Awake, the title track and all three bonus tracks are killer. And Not Enough has a chorus to die for. I love that song, and likely always will).

 

10. Comalies XX (there are moments this shines. Its beautifully produced, the vocal performances are pristine, I love Daylight Dancer...but it's a pale, soulless imitation of a classic album. I honestly think it's too clean sounding. Where are the atmospheric synths? It's all too...basic. I will also credit them for the new Ghost Woman, Unspoken and Entwined. These three new versions shine because Cristina really sounds impassioned. Still not sure thats enough to match the originals. I really don't like the new Angel's Punishment. Like, at all. That was my first Lacuna Coil song so I'm heavily biased.)

Edited by Segue Myles
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/7/2024 at 11:11 AM, Mr. Not said:

Combed through this thread and i did about four bands twice between 2022-2024, lol - but surprisingly never once DT (unless i missed it)

 

Dream Theater

1. Images and Words (undeniably hit the nail on the head with this one and were never able to replicate the albums "feel" above all else)

2. Metropolis Pt 2: Scenes From a Memory (i listened through this album against recently and it wasn't as awe inspiring as i remember it being when i first listened to it as a teen, but that said it's still to this day arguably the most groundbreaking Prog Metal album there is with the way it bridges so many elements together all while being a good, coherent story)

3. Octavarium

4. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

5. Black Clouds & Silver Linings (rated high due to sentimental bias probably, as this was the first DT album they released after I had gotten into the band)

6. A Dramatic Turn of Events

7. Awake

8. Train of Thought

9. Falling Into Inifity (it would have made sense if they changed it into a double album and tagged on "Change of Seasons" - why not? def would be ranked higher if that were the case) 

10. A View From the Top of the World

11. Dream Theater

12. Systematic Chaos (I've always found this one to be too portnoy - in the bad way. too heavy, and they experimented with the vocals in a way they shouldn't have. they did the more aggressive metal approach much better with ToT)

 

(i'm a little apathetic about these next few albums, there are some songs I really like from each but overall.. meh at best. i do think i need to give Distance Over Time and the debut more listens, though)

13. Distance Over Time

14. When Day and Dream Unite

15. The Astonishing (hey, Gift of Music is a great song you can find in that >2 hour mess! ...and i remember some other sections of certain songs being cool too, but I'll let someone else find them)

 

 

Prob should rank Distance Over Time higher, put it up to 11 over s/t and Systematic Chaos. 

 

I really like the lyrical theme of this album and it's definitely a good comeback from The Astonishing. Pale Blue Dot is kind of a weak closer though, that's my only complaint.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Mr. Not said:

 

 

Prob should rank Distance Over Time higher, put it up to 11 over s/t and Systematic Chaos. 

 

I really like the lyrical theme of this album and it's definitely a good comeback from The Astonishing. Pale Blue Dot is kind of a weak closer though, that's my only complaint.

 

I'm iffy on DoT it's just got to many songs i do not like. Pale Blue Dot being one of them.......it kinda goes nowhere at like over 8 minutes, lol

 

Mick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Periphery (all their albums are numbered but for this list i'll write their subtitles

 

1.  Hail Stan

2.  Select Difficulty

3. Djent is Not A Genre

4. Juggernaut Alpha/Omega (released as two separate albums but follow one story.....so it's one album to me)

5. Periphery (debut)

6. This Time It's Personal.

 

For those not familiar Periphery is a prog/metal band.  BUT they combine pop and RnB in their sound.

 

I've been obsessed these guys are good.  REAL good.  just to say this.  i ranked them but i really like every single album.  this is just my personal preference order.

 

I put them up as a fav Prog/metal band now.

 

Mick

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/9/2024 at 4:33 AM, Segue Myles said:

It's my absolute favourite to be honest, and I find Images And Words suffers for me because that early 90s metal production style always makes everything sound like a demo. I think Awake has better songs and better production. It's my favourite DT album to be honest. Distance Over Time and View From...are likely in my top three at this point too.

 

Still...all just opinions.

Mine too. My dad and I just gush over Voices for instance

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm gonna do Joni Mitchell 

 

1. Hejira/Court & Spark (yes a tie couldn't Choose between thes two)

2.  Ladies of the canyon

3. Hissing of Summer Lawns

4. For The Roses

5. Clouds

6. Blue

7. Turbulent Indigo

8. Song For A Seagull

9. Don Juan's Reckless Daughter

 

I'm seperating here cause the last 8 get meh.  the 80's and on beat her up IMO. aside from 1 album. (Turbulent Indigo)

 

10. Wild Things fast

11. Night Ride home

12.  Taming The tiger

13. Travelouge'

14.  Chalk Mark In A Rainstorm

15. Shine

16.  Both Sides Now

17.  Dog Eat Dog

18. Mingus.

 

Yea i love her though 1979.  I merely like her in the 80's and 90's.  Though Turbulent Indigo is amazing from 1994. her 2000's stuff is her legacy artist era and it's mostly bland.

 

Mick

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by bluefox4000
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok so some of you will go :facepalm: but when have i cared bout y'all, lol

 

Beyonce (new fian...first initial ranking subject to change)

 

1. Beyonce (self titled)

2. Cowboy Carter (eye roll all ya want Segue, lol)

3. 4. (not 34 the album's called 4, lol)

4. Lemonade

5.  Sasha Fierce

6. Dangerously in Love

7. Renaissance

8. B'day

 

She is way better than mindless pop she has real depth.

 

Mick'

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Ok so some of you will go :facepalm: but when have i cared bout y'all, lol

 

Beyonce (new fian...first initial ranking subject to change)

 

1. Beyonce (self titled)

2. Cowboy Carter (eye roll all ya want Segue, lol)

3. 4. (not 34 the album's called 4, lol)

4. Lemonade

5.  Sasha Fierce

6. Dangerously in Love

7. Renaissance

8. B'day

 

She is way better than mindless pop she has real depth.

 

Mick'

I’ve never connected with her. I think I heard Lemonade in full once on a long car ride with friends, and I was super impressed, but didn’t decide to go back and listen on my own. Not that I think that’s a failing on her part; I’m sure I’d just need to give her a proper chance, but I guess the weird part for me is I feel like I’ve never heard a single (solo) Beyoncé song in the wild that stuck with me. Single Ladies would be the one that did but I think that’s a Destiny’s Child track right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I’ve never connected with her. I think I heard Lemonade in full once on a long car ride with friends, and I was super impressed, but didn’t decide to go back and listen on my own. Not that I think that’s a failing on her part; I’m sure I’d just need to give her a proper chance, but I guess the weird part for me is I feel like I’ve never heard a single (solo) Beyoncé song in the wild that stuck with me. Single Ladies would be the one that did but I think that’s a Destiny’s Child track right?

 

Single ladies is a solo track.

 

i hear what your saying i was never into her for years.  then like i played her self titled album.  i went woah a lot of this is Prince influenced and it just clicked.  

 

Lemonade is a really really good album too it covers multiple genres and styles and really shows that she's a student of music.

 

I dunno if i'll ever call her a fav...like i just praised lemonade but i remember people flipped over that record like Jesus came back.  and it's a good album but Beyonce not the only one to make a genre bending album, lol  seriously lemonade is enjoyable but nothing to cream yourselves over.:biggrin:

 

I have more respect for her though.

 

Mick

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

 

Single ladies is a solo track.

 

i hear what your saying i was never into her for years.  then like i played her self titled album.  i went woah a lot of this is Prince influenced and it just clicked.  

 

Lemonade is a really really good album too it covers multiple genres and styles and really shows that she's a student of music.

 

I dunno if i'll ever call her a fav...like i just praised lemonade but i remember people flipped over that record like Jesus came back.  and it's a good album but Beyonce not the only one to make a genre bending album, lol  seriously lemonade is enjoyable but nothing to cream yourselves over.:biggrin:

 

I have more respect for her though.

 

Mick

 

 

 

I genuinely think Lemonade is an album for the ages. It really speaks to people. It's just a musically and thematically powerful statement. It's not just noise and words, it's something extremely precious.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I genuinely think Lemonade is an album for the ages. It really speaks to people. It's just a musically and thematically powerful statement. It's not just noise and words, it's something extremely precious.

 

 

see this is what i'm talking about.  i hear a great album.  but all this.  "a milestone in cultural entertainment!!!"

 

you need more entertainment, lol

 

it's a solid album though no one's saying it's not.....but.....take it down:laugh:

 

Mick

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/20/2024 at 11:57 AM, Segue Myles said:

Let me try Saxon, even though I have yet to hear everything:

 

1. Wheels Of Steel

2. Saxon

3. Dogs Of War

4. Hell, Fire And Damnation 

5. Strong Arm Of The Law

6. Denim And Leather 

7. Thunderbolt

8. Carpe Diem

9. Solid Ball Of Rock

10. Crusader

11. Destiny

12. Power And The Glory

13. Rock The Nations 

14. Innocence Is No Excuse

15. Forever Free

 

I have nine more albums to eventually rank. I hear they are mostly killer, so I look forward to that 

 

I enjoy all these albums. Some are a mixed bag (Crusader), others are classics for a reason (Wheels Of Steel), and I think their last three albums are pretty fantastic, especially Hell, Fire And Damnation, which is currently my album of 2024.

s-l1600.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is my RELEASE DAY ranking of Taylor Swifts discography:

 

1. Evermore

2. Folklore

3. The Tortured Poets Department

4. Midnights

5. Reputation

6. Lover

7. Speak Now

8. Red

9. 1989

10. Taylor Swift

11. Fearless

Edited by Segue Myles
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mine

 

Taylor Swift

 

release day gut ranking

 

1. Folklore

2. Tortured Poets Department

3. Lover

4. 1989 (caveat.....Taylor's Version)

5. Red

6.  Evermore

7. Speak Now

8. Reputation

9. Fearless (TV)

10. Midnights

11. Taylor swift.

 

Mick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Here is my RELEASE DAY ranking of Taylor Swifts discography:

 

1. Evermore

2. Folklore

3. The Tortured Poets Department

4. Midnights

5. Reputation

6. Lover

7. Speak Now

8. Red

9. 1989

10. Taylor Swift

11. Lover 

 

your list man......bonkers in that......red that low?  Lover last?

 

sigh...ok:laugh:

 

Mick

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

 

your list man......bonkers in that......red that low?  Lover last?

 

sigh...ok:laugh:

 

Mick

Taylor is very mood based. Come back next week, it will be revamped again

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bon Jovi

 

1. These Days

2. New Jersey

3.  Crush

4. Slippery When Wet

5. Bon Jovi

6. Have A Nice  Day

7. Lost Highway

8. Keep The Faith

9. What About Now

10. Burning Bridges

11. The Circle

12. Bounce

13.7800 Fahrenheit

14  This House is not For Sale

15. 2020.

 

Their are some from the newer....."newer" era i love like Lost Highway and have a nice Day.  But really Once you get past crush.  classic Bon Jovi to me is done.  Some like Bounce but that album to me is the first indication of a real change in the tide.

 

The odd man out here is 7800 Fahrenheit.  a real sophmore slump IMO.  even the band from the recent documentary said it was rushed after the song Runaway took off and their not much happy with the results.

 

I'd blame their recent Shitty work on Sambora leaving but it was getting there prior.  Jon's voice was declining but the bigger problem is he wanted to be more of a "serious" songwriter.  And that ain't him.  he writes best with ballads and party rock anthems.  We see the result of serious Jon.  it's 2020.....and it sucks.  honestly this band should disband.  he can't go anymore.

 

But i love the golden era of Bon Jovi.

 

Mick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...