Rank Your Favorite Bands' Albums

ST3V

On 3/12/2024 at 6:17 PM, Mr. Not said:

Haken

1. The Mountain (pretty much perfect)

2. Vector

3. Virus

(3.5 - Henshall's solo album the Cocoon is ranked around here)

4. Aquarius 

5. Affinity

6. Visions (some of their best songs are on here, but as a whole the album kind of drags and you can't have that in a concept album - that's why this is so low)

7. Fauna (i only really enjoy the singles)

RYM is a great resource for when first getting into bands, but I also like checking to see how much I agree with other fans/general listener's rankings.

Here's how RYM ranks Haken:

1. The Mountain

2. Visions

3. The Cocoon* (Henshall solo album)

4. Affinity

5. Aquarius

6. Vector / Virus (complete tie)

7. Fauna

^ looks like there's a good amount of overlap in agreement.

I think higher of Vector / Virus than most others do, and less of Visions.

33 minutes ago, Mr. Not said:

RYM is a great resource for when first getting into bands, but I also like checking to see how much I agree with other fans/general listener's rankings.

Here's how RYM ranks Haken:

1. The Mountain

2. Visions

3. The Cocoon* (Henshall solo album)

4. Affinity

5. Aquarius

6. Vector / Virus (complete tie)

7. Fauna

^ looks like there's a good amount of overlap in agreement.

I think higher of Vector / Virus than most others do, and less of Visions.

Haken is a hard one to get aggregate reviews for because the albums are all very different apart from Vector/Virus being similar to each other.

You can tell a lot about how someone's tastes are with Haken based on where they rate Affinity, I think.

For me it's:

Fauna

Affinity

Virus

The Mountain

Visions

Vector

Aquarius

I  want to try this band.  Segue really turned me on to them.  it took  a while tough because this band has had so many shifts and twists that they are not the easiest to rank or even enjoy for that matter, lol

here we go

Paradise lost.

1.  Tragic Idol

2. The Plague Within

3. Host

4.  Obsidian

5. Faith Divides us, Death Unites Us

6. Symbol of Life

7. One Second

8.  Icon (though i prefer the recent re-record )

9. Medusa

10.  In Requiem

11. Draconian Times

12. Paradise Lost

13. Gothic

14. Shades of God

15. Lost Paradise

16. Believe In Nothing.

Now to stress. none of these albums are bad.  just my  prefered order.

And this band were much better than doom metal.  and when they circled back to it they did it better the 2nd time whilst keeping other sounds in tact from different eras.

Mick

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

I  want to try this band.  Segue really turned me on to them.  it took  a while tough because this band has had so many shifts and twists that they are not the easiest to rank or even enjoy for that matter, lol

here we go

Paradise lost.

1.  Tragic Idol

2. The Plague Within

3. Host

4.  Obsidian

5. Faith Divides us, Death Unites Us

6. Symbol of Life

7. One Second

8.  Icon (though i prefer the recent re-record )

9. Medusa

10.  In Requiem

11. Draconian Times

12. Paradise Lost

13. Gothic

14. Shades of God

15. Lost Paradise

16. Believe In Nothing.

Now to stress. none of these albums are bad.  just my  prefered order.

And this band were much better than doom metal.  and when they circled back to it they did it better the 2nd time whilst keeping other sounds in tact from different eras.

Mick

There "return to their roots" is exactly how all bands should do it.

They brought back doom, but not once did they sound like they were trying to recapture their past.

• Like 1

Let me try Saxon, even though I have yet to hear everything:

1. Wheels Of Steel

2. Saxon

3. Dogs Of War

4. Hell, Fire And Damnation 

5. Strong Arm Of The Law

6. Denim And Leather 

7. Thunderbolt

8. Carpe Diem

9. Solid Ball Of Rock

10. Crusader

11. Destiny

12. Power And The Glory

13. Rock The Nations 

14. Innocence Is No Excuse

15. Forever Free

I have nine more albums to eventually rank. I hear they are mostly killer, so I look forward to that 

I enjoy all these albums. Some are a mixed bag (Crusader), others are classics for a reason (Wheels Of Steel), and I think their last three albums are pretty fantastic, especially Hell, Fire And Damnation, which is currently my album of 2024.

Let me try Fall Out Boy, since I just saw them and Jimmy Eat World last night!!!

1. From Under The Cork Tree

2. Infinity On High

3. Save Rock And Roll

4. So Much (For) Stardust

5. Folie À Duex

6. Take This To Your Grave

7. American Beauty / American Psycho

last place forever: Mania

I've really dug a few of their songs over the past three-four years, but just recently I gave them a proper full discog listen through, so this is my "first impression", but I'm a bit biased towards Coal, Congregation, and Malina since those are the albums I'm most familiar with.. And by a bit biased, I mean very biased. Anyway, I figured this would be fun to do in the meantime anyway.

Leprous

1. Malina

2. Coal

3. The Congregation

4. Tall Poppy Syndrome

5. Bilateral

6. Pitfalls

7. Aphelion 

As for RYM's ranking:

1. Bilateral

2. The Congregation

3. Coal

4. Tall Poppy Syndrome

5. Malina

6. Pitfalls

7. Aphelion

What's weird though is Spotify's listening stats don't reflect this at all - their first three albums aren't listened to as much as their four most recent ones which get millions of plays. But I have an obvious agreement with RYM in that I think their metal style is better than their rock/art approach - with Malina being an exception. Maybe Pitfalls and Aphelion will grow on me, I did enjoy a good amount of the songs on them, but the crazy guitar playing from Coal / Congregation is missed... Malina seems to hit a nice middle ground between their two approaches. 

On 3/22/2024 at 2:23 AM, Mr. Not said:

I've really dug a few of their songs over the past three-four years, but just recently I gave them a proper full discog listen through, so this is my "first impression", but I'm a bit biased towards Coal, Congregation, and Malina since those are the albums I'm most familiar with.. And by a bit biased, I mean very biased. Anyway, I figured this would be fun to do in the meantime anyway.

Leprous

1. Malina

2. Coal

3. The Congregation

4. Tall Poppy Syndrome

5. Bilateral

6. Pitfalls

7. Aphelion 

As for RYM's ranking:

1. Bilateral

2. The Congregation

3. Coal

4. Tall Poppy Syndrome

5. Malina

6. Pitfalls

7. Aphelion

What's weird though is Spotify's listening stats don't reflect this at all - their first three albums aren't listened to as much as their four most recent ones which get millions of plays. But I have an obvious agreement with RYM in that I think their metal style is better than their rock/art approach - with Malina being an exception. Maybe Pitfalls and Aphelion will grow on me, I did enjoy a good amount of the songs on them, but the crazy guitar playing from Coal / Congregation is missed... Malina seems to hit a nice middle ground between their two approaches. 

My ranking is pretty identical to yours!

Malina is amazing to me

• Like 1

I am going to try an old favourite, Toto. This is based on recent listening, and my overall love for them:

1. Fahrenheit 

2. Isolation

3. Tambu

4. Mindfields 

5. Kingdom Of Desire

6. IV

8. Toto

9. The Seventh One

10. XIV

11. Falling In Between

12. Turn Back

13. Hydra

14. Old Is New

15. Through The Looking Glass

Toto may have had their best years in the eighties, but overall I think my favourite period is the nineties.

I'll try

i love Toto

1. Fahrenheit

2. Seventh One

3. Toto

4. Turn Back

5. Tambu

6. XIV

7.  Old is New

8. Falling In between

9.  Hydra

10. Isolation

11.  IV

12. Mindfeilds

13.  Kingdom of Desire

14. Thorugh the looking Glass

I think i'm opposite Segue in that aside from Tambu i find the 90's really bland for them. and hey Isolation did rise to top 10.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

I'll try

i love Toto

1. Fahrenheit

2. Seventh One

3. Toto

4. Turn Back

5. Tambu

6. XIV

7.  Old is New

8. Falling In between

9.  Hydra

10. Isolation

11.  IV

12. Mindfeilds

13.  Kingdom of Desire

14. Thorugh the looking Glass

I think i'm opposite Segue in that aside from Tambu i find the 90's really bland for them. and hey Isolation did rise to top 10.

Mick

I chop and change with Toto. Aside from Hydra, every album at some point has been a major favourite for at least a little while.

Hydra? The material shines live. I cant get into the studio album at all. 

• Like 1

Technically not a fav band but ranking just your fav bands is boring, lol.

Pearl Jam.

1. Ten

2. Vitalogy

3. Vs.

4. Gigaton

5. Backspacer

6.  No Code

7.  Yeild

8.  Pearl Jam

9.  Lightning Bolt

10. Riot Act

11. Binaural

The first 6 i call their most enjoyable.  The rest to me represent PJ at their worst which is not bad just super bland.  As i mentioned no matter how many times i've heard Riot and Binaural.  they just never stick.  In one ear out the Other.

but i have  6 i really like and 5 that are completely disposable to me.

Also Gigaton May be their best album since no code,  I said what i said.

Mick

• Like 3

I want to set out a preliminary idea of how I’d rank the chili peppers albums I’ve heard and then return to it after I’ve revisited a couple in the next couple days. I have absolutely not heard them all and I’m not really about to do that deep dive. I’m mostly satisfied with what I’ve already heard.

1. Blood Sugar Sex Magic

2. By The Way

3. Californication

4. Unlimited Love

5. Stadium Arcadium

6. The Getaway

7. Return Of The Dream Canteen

BTW slips over Californication even though it’s a bit long and has a bit more filler just because the production is waaaaaay better. Seriously, Californication is antithesis of a headphones album. BSSM knocks them both clean out. SA is too long, but has great moments. The Getaway and Return are the two I really need to revisit in the next couple days. I barely remember anything about Return. In all likelihood it could rise as high as 4 in one spin. The Getaway maybe could top SA, it’s far more concise and Danger Mouse’s production is refreshing after so so many Rubin affairs. But I’m not sure, and Snow is the best song on either of them sooo…

The two I most want to hear to do a better ranking are Mothers Milk and One Hot Minute. I’ve just never gotten around to them.

2 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I want to set out a preliminary idea of how I’d rank the chili peppers albums I’ve heard and then return to it after I’ve revisited a couple in the next couple days. I have absolutely not heard them all and I’m not really about to do that deep dive. I’m mostly satisfied with what I’ve already heard.

1. Blood Sugar Sex Magic

2. By The Way

3. Californication

4. Unlimited Love

5. Stadium Arcadium

6. The Getaway

BTW slips over Californication even though it’s a bit long and has a bit more filler just because the production is waaaaaay better. Seriously, Californication is antithesis of a headphones album. BSSM knocks them both clean out. SA is too long, but has great moments. The Getaway and Return are the two I really need to revisit in the next couple days. I barely remember anything about Return. In all likelihood it could rise as high as 4 in one spin. The Getaway maybe could top SA, it’s far more concise and Danger Mouse’s production is refreshing after so so many Rubin affairs. But I’m not sure, and Snow is the best song on either of them sooo…

The two I most want to hear to do a better ranking are Mothers Milk and One Hot Minute. I’ve just never gotten around to them.

Interested to see where you place 'I'm With You' when you get to it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Technically not a fav band but ranking just your fav bands is boring, lol.

Pearl Jam.

1. Ten

2. Vitalogy

3. Vs.

4. Gigaton

5. Backspacer

6.  No Code

7.  Yeild

8.  Pearl Jam

9.  Lightning Bolt

10. Riot Act

11. Binaural

The first 6 i call their most enjoyable.  The rest to me represent PJ at their worst which is not bad just super bland.  As i mentioned no matter how many times i've heard Riot and Binaural.  they just never stick.  In one ear out the Other.

but i have  6 i really like and 5 that are completely disposable to me.

Also Gigaton May be their best album since no code,  I said what i said.

Mick

Yeah but I love all their albums so for me, Gigaton is the best album since whatever last came out I like a little less than last place.

No dips for me in this discography. Binaural is an all time fave for me, for example.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

1. Blood Sugar Sex Magic

2. By The Way

3. Californication

4. Unlimited Love

5. Stadium Arcadium

6. The Getaway

One Hot Minute is great, but I see it frequently ranked low by fans!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Yeah but I love all their albums so for me, Gigaton is the best album since whatever last came out I like a little less than last place.

No dips for me in this discography. Binaural is an all time fave for me, for example.

Binaural is my favourite  - Imagine what it would have been like if they included some of the B-sides and other session tracks they left off it

Edited by yyz305

2 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

One Hot Minute is great, but I see it frequently ranked low by fans!

Is good, but can't reach the heights of By The Way and beyond

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yyz305 said:

Binaural is my favourite  - Imagine what it would have been like if they included some of the B-sides and other seession tracks they left off it

Oh god the songs left off...thank you Lost Dogs and single CDs!

I've always loved Binaural. It's an album I turn on, and just let it go through me. It's so, so intoxicating.

I've always seen derision for Pearl Jam after Vs. It started with Vitalogy. But you know what? Live and let live, PJ have only smashes for me. Even Gigaton won me over. Least favourite for sure but I can play it now happily. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yyz305 said:

Is good, but can't reach the heights of By The Way and beyond

Definitely. But last? Nah!

By The Way my favourite. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Segue Myles said:

Definitely. But last? Nah!

By The Way my favourite. 

Have had 'Midnight' stuck in my head for two weeks. Not that that's a bad thing!

4 minutes ago, yyz305 said:

Have had 'Midnight' stuck in my head for two weeks. Not that that's a bad thing!

I have find memories of RHCP having a hit with BTW. It started me on my journey to harder sounds when I was about 11. I'm not a big RHCP at the moment, but I think a bit of time spent with them could fix that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

I have find memories of RHCP having a hit with BTW. It started me on my journey to harder sounds when I was about 11. I'm not a big RHCP at the moment, but I think a bit of time spent with them could fix that.

You might like something a little experimental,  like Return Of The Dream Canteen

Edited by yyz305
  • Like 1

Pearl Jam- Ten

Pearl Jam- Vs

• Like 1