Rank Your Favorite Bands' Albums

ST3V

5 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Yeah but I love all their albums so for me, Gigaton is the best album since whatever last came out I like a little less than last place.

No dips for me in this discography. Binaural is an all time fave for me, for example.

Yea but your a huge fan:laugh:

me i just like what i like.

Mick

1 minute ago, Union 5-3992 said:

Gigaton is one of my top 5 by the band. It was a really cool change in style for them.

i adored gigaton man.  Every track thaat passed i'm like this album rocks.

The 2 new singles........eh they were ok.  maybe the album will be good.  Cause of Gigaton i'm actually a little more excited for a PJ album.

Mick

7 hours ago, yyz305 said:

Interested to see where you place 'I'm With You' when you get to it.

The Adventures Of Rain Dance Maggie used to play on the radio all the time next to their more established hits when I was just getting into alt rock for the first time, so I know I like that one at least.

5 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

One Hot Minute is great, but I see it frequently ranked low by fans!

So I’ve heard! I think I’ve heard Aeroplane here and there in places over time, and it’s cool. I dig it. I bet I’ll like the whole album, but that weird reputation it has with a lot of fans does make me wonder how much.

3 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

i adored gigaton man.  Every track thaat passed i'm like this album rocks.

The 2 new singles........eh they were ok.  maybe the album will be good.  Cause of Gigaton i'm actually a little more excited for a PJ album.

Mick

At least you're enjoying it!

I'm not feeling the new PJ singles. Kings Of Leon dropped a new single today, enjoyed that more!

• Like 1

Yes

1. Going For The One

2. Close To The Edge

3. Relayer

4. Fragile

5. Tales From Topographic Oceans 

6. The Yes Album

7. Time and a Word

8. Drama

9. Tormato

10. Magnification

11. 90125

12. Yes (s/t)

• Like 1

Soundgarden

1. Badmotorfinger'

2. Superunknown

3. Down On the Upside'

4.  Louder Than Love

5. Ultramega OK

6. King Animal.

Soundgarden have really been spun a lot latly. and i think nearly every album has something to offer.  i like some more than others.  EXCEPT King Animal.  Which i found redundant and tired.  and i love him but Chris's voice was kind of shot by that point.

But yea i've gained a deeper appreciation for the grunge era as a whole.

Mick

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Soundgarden

1. Badmotorfinger'

2. Superunknown

3. Down On the Upside'

4.  Louder Than Love

5. Ultramega OK

6. King Animal.

Soundgarden have really been spun a lot latly. and i think nearly every album has something to offer.  i like some more than others.  EXCEPT King Animal.  Which i found redundant and tired.  and i love him but Chris's voice was kind of shot by that point.

Mick

They’re my favorite from that scene. Badmotorfinger especially shows off their honestly kinda Rush-like sense of rhythm, something none of the other big 4 really have to my ears.

16 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

They’re my favorite from that scene. Badmotorfinger especially shows off their honestly kinda Rush-like sense of rhythm, something none of the other big 4 really have to my ears.

i think  Soundgarden have the best musicians bar none.

though AiC come very close.  Also SC has a scrappy garage band feel that i love that None of the others have.

If i had to rank ONLY the "big four"

1. Alice in Chains (just a preference here, lol)

2. Soundgarden (very close on the heels of SG)

3. Pearl Jam (when they're great they're are fantastic but they do plunge the deapths of boredom at times for me)

4. Nirvana (dead last.  Never got the hype......never will get the hype.  Don't even WANNA get the hype at this point, lol)

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Soundgarden

1. Badmotorfinger'

2. Superunknown

3. Down On the Upside'

4.  Louder Than Love

5. Ultramega OK

6. King Animal.

Mick

Ha! Exactly the same ranking!

Great stuff on every album, the top two are all great (just long)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

though AiC come very close.  Also SC has a scrappy garage band feel that i love that None of the others have.

3. Pearl Jam (when they're great they're are fantastic but they do plunge the deapths of boredom at times for me)

4. Nirvana (dead last.  Never got the hype......never will get the hype.  Don't even WANNA get the hype at this point, lol)

Mick

I always associate Nirvana with REM and Pixies in my brain. Like...they just don't musically fit for me amongst these other bands that also only loosely fit together.

7 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

I always associate Nirvana with REM and Pixies in my brain. Like...they just don't musically fit for me amongst these other bands that also only loosely fit together.

Cobain's also has a wildly different voice from the other 3 lead singers.  i mean.  this is why the grunge label as a style makes zero sense at all.

Soundgarden- Garage rock with touches of punk and psych music.

Pearl Jam-Started like a jam band with a funky-ness to them. Developed into Springteen-ish roots rock.

AiC-Metal-ish Sabbath   type stuff

Nirvana - Pixie inspired beatle-y thing.  Nevermind really showcased the beatle (specificly lennon) sound.

Mick

21 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Mick

Also the same ranking. Where would you wedge STP in as they're another grunge band from it's golden age.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Union 5-3992 said:

Also the same ranking. Where would you wedge STP in as they're another grunge band from it's golden age.

i love their first 2 albums.  not big on much else.

so actually based on that alone i'd put after PJ moving nirvana down one more.

i really should revisit STP though.

Mick

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

i love their first 2 albums.  not big on much else.

so actually based on that alone i'd put after PJ moving nirvana down one more.

i really should revisit STP though.

Mick

I think their third album has quite a bit to like on it. They fall off a bit after that though.

Unpopular but I'm partial to STP 2010 since it has more of a Bowie influence. They also had a solid EP with Chester Bennington which people hated at the time but I think it has aged well.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2024 at 12:53 AM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I want to set out a preliminary idea of how I’d rank the chili peppers albums I’ve heard and then return to it after I’ve revisited a couple in the next couple days. I have absolutely not heard them all and I’m not really about to do that deep dive. I’m mostly satisfied with what I’ve already heard.

1. Blood Sugar Sex Magic

2. By The Way

3. Californication

4. Unlimited Love

5. Stadium Arcadium

6. The Getaway

7. Return Of The Dream Canteen

BTW slips over Californication even though it’s a bit long and has a bit more filler just because the production is waaaaaay better. Seriously, Californication is antithesis of a headphones album. BSSM knocks them both clean out. SA is too long, but has great moments. The Getaway and Return are the two I really need to revisit in the next couple days. I barely remember anything about Return. In all likelihood it could rise as high as 4 in one spin. The Getaway maybe could top SA, it’s far more concise and Danger Mouse’s production is refreshing after so so many Rubin affairs. But I’m not sure, and Snow is the best song on either of them sooo…

The two I most want to hear to do a better ranking are Mothers Milk and One Hot Minute. I’ve just never gotten around to them.

Still haven’t got around to MM or OHM yet, but after revisiting all of these records I have heard recently a bit of a rerank is in order:

1. BSSM (still tops)

2. BTW (just so pretty)

3. Californication (if it were mastered better it would be number 2)

4. ROTDC (they put all the weirder stuff on here rather than UL)

5. UL (nearly as good as the follow up, just a little more “stock” as Metallica would put it)

6. The Getaway (yes I really do love this one, even the production… John’s specific presence is missed though, nothing against Josh, it’s just different)

7. SA (Too much does too little for me, even with lots of good thrown in, and overall the vibe is much more clinical than any other Chili’s album)

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Union 5-3992 said:

I like Core...don't love it...lose total interest after that.

I hear people say they sound like a carbon copy of Pearl Jam on groups I am on, and I've never heard it myself.

I fancy a relisten to be honest

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

I like Core...don't love it...lose total interest after that.

I hear people say they sound like a carbon copy of Pearl Jam on groups I am on, and I've never heard it myself.

I fancy a relisten to be honest

I wouldn't call them a carbon copy of Pearl Jam, but I think their sound isn't as distinct as some of their peers.Their first two albums are peak grunge and their third album is a great psychedelic inspired album. The rest of their discography then comes down to personal taste. I like most of it quite a bit, but it's not for everyone.

Speaking of big 90s Rock bands, I'll try Smashing Pumpkins with one of the more predictable top 5s ever

1. Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

2. Siamese dream

3. Adore

4. Gish

5. Pisces Iscariot (All unreleased songs so I count this one)

6. Oceania

7. Machina/The Machines of God

8. Shiny and Oh So bright, Vol. 1 / LP: No Past. No future. No Sun.

9. Cyr

10. Atum

11. Zeitgeist

12. Monuments to an Elegy

That bottom half is pretty bleak. Even reuniting with several of the originals did nothing to help them.

Edited by Union 5-3992

And Stone Temple Pilots

1. Purple

2. Tiny Music... Songs from the Vatican Gift Shop

3. Core

3.5 High Rise featuring Chester Bennington

4. No. 4

5. Stone Temple Pilots (2018)

6. Stone Temple Pilots (2010)

7. Perdida

8. Shangri-La Dee Da

The Tragically Hip:

1. Fully Completely

2. Day for Night

3. Road Apples

4. Phantom Power

5. Trouble at the Henhouse

6. Man Machine Poem

7. In Violet Light

8. Up To Here

9. In Between Evolution

10. Music @ Work

11. Now For Plan A

12. We Are the Same

13. World Container

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Union 5-3992 said:

The Tragically Hip:

1. Fully Completely

2. Day for Night

3. Road Apples

4. Phantom Power

5. Trouble at the Henhouse

6. Man Machine Poem

7. In Violet Light

8. Up To Here

9. In Between Evolution

10. Music @ Work

11. Now For Plan A

12. We Are the Same

13. World Container

One of my favourite bands. Not sure how I'd go ranking their albums.

2 hours ago, yyz305 said:

One of my favourite bands. Not sure how I'd go ranking their albums.

It's quite hard as the top 7 can shift around a bit. I only consider the last two pretty meh.

1 hour ago, Union 5-3992 said:

It's quite hard as the top 7 can shift around a bit. I only consider the last two pretty meh.

Interestingly, I'd have 'We Are The Same' in my top 5. Has a nicely rounded palate to my ears!