10. Blue Valentine

11. Blood Money

12. Foreign Affairs

13. Nighthawks At The Diner

14. Bone Machine

15. Real Gone

16. Black Rider

17. Bad As Me

Special mention to the box set Orphans, which is kind of a "proper" album because it's a lot of unreleased stuff, and would probably go somewhere around #7.  Also the live album Big Time is top notch.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Brand New (inspired by his listening today:

1. The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me 

2. Deja Entendu 

3. Daisy 

4. Science Fiction

5. Your Favorite Weapon

I'd argue that they don't have a single bad album. My ranking is pretty close to yours, but I think I'd switch Daisy and Science Fiction. A lot of people rank Your Favorite Weapon last, and I would too. I think it's a solid pop punk album, but everything else they put out is better.

13 minutes ago, Super25Smasher said:

I'd argue that they don't have a single bad album. My ranking is pretty close to yours, but I think I'd switch Daisy and Science Fiction. A lot of people rank Your Favorite Weapon last, and I would too. I think it's a solid pop punk album, but everything else they put out is better.

I love their discography. They aren't as high on my list as the similar in some ways Thrice, but I agree, not a single bad album!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mithrandir said:

Pat Benatar (only her first 6 studio albums)

Get Nervous

Crimes of Passion

7 the Hard Way

In the Heat of the Night

Tropico

Precious Time

Honestly, I'd rate Wide Awake In Dreamland amongst these six. That album run is impeccable in my mind. One of the best albums runs in history. I said what I said.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

I love their discography. They aren't as high on my list as the similar in some ways Thrice, but I agree, not a single bad album!

I saw Thrice headline a festival in 2019. The lineup was stacked. Other bands included The Used, Four Year Strong, The Story So Far, Atreyu, Circa Survive, Trophy Eyes, and Memphis May Fire.

1 hour ago, Super25Smasher said:

I saw Thrice headline a festival in 2019. The lineup was stacked. Other bands included The Used, Four Year Strong, The Story So Far, Atreyu, Circa Survive, Trophy Eyes, and Memphis May Fire.

I like some of them! I only love the first two Used albums (but I like REALLY love them). Circa Survive are amazing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Segue Myles said:

I like some of them! I only love the first two Used albums (but I like REALLY love them). Circa Survive are amazing.

Four Year Strong is great live. I've seen them four times.

Fleet Foxes:

1. Fleet Foxes 

2. Shore 

3. A Very Lonely Solstice (live)

4. Sun Giant EP

5. Crack Up

6. The Fleet Foxes EP

7. Helplessness Blues 

Flawless discography for me. If I still saw value in giving number ratings, this is all 10s. I've known not one other band or artist to have had this much impact on me across their entire discography. 

Fleet Foxes debut is my number one debut album of all time.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Fleet Foxes:

1. Fleet Foxes 

2. Shore 

3. A Very Lonely Solstice (live)

4. Sun Giant EP

5. Crack Up

6. The Fleet Foxes EP

7. Helplessness Blues 

Flawless discography for me. If I still saw value in giving number ratings, this is all 10s. I've known not one other band or artist to have had this much impact on me across their entire discography. 

Fleet Foxes debut is my number one debut album of all time.

I love their sound so much. Those vocals! 

I've only heard the debut and Sun Giant. The rest of their discography is on my musical "to do" list. Maybe this summer.

12 minutes ago, Chronos said:

I love their sound so much. Those vocals! 

I've only heard the debut and Sun Giant. The rest of their discography is on my musical "to do" list. Maybe this summer.

I highly recommend Shore and the beautiful live album A Very Lonely Solstice!

• Like 1

On 4/24/2023 at 5:34 PM, Rick N. Backer said:

What about Down To Earth and Stranger in Us All?

I forgot to add Down to Earth, I thought about it that night and added it the following morning! Stranger in Us All was actually really good however I don't consider that a "CLASSIC RAINBOW" release, sorry!

Edited by malm_51

Pete Townshend

1. Empty Glass

2. All The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes

3. White City: A Novel

4. Who Came First

5. Rough Mix

6. Psychoderelict

7. The Iron Man

Amazing to me that his solo, studio album output is so thin, given how much I love it and much airplay his records still get from me...particularly 1-4 on the list.

Special mention HAS to go to the demo stuff he's put out over the years.  The first "Scoop" is one of my all time fave albums...would likely be #3 on my list.   Subsequent box sets "LIfehouse Chronicles" and his demos for Quadrophenia all are in heavy rotation....they are a great way to listen to some of the golden oldies that have had the life sucked out of them by endless radio rotation.  I will very seldom listen to The Who's version of Won't Get Fooled or Baba O'Reilly....but his home demos can make those songs fresh.

• Like 1

Scorpions

Lonesome Crow

Virgin Killer

Taken By Force

In Trance

Fly to the Rainbow

Lovedrive

Blackout

Animal Magnetism

Crazy World

Love at First Sting

Savage Amusement 

Tokyo Tapes

World Wide Live

Edited by malm_51
  • Like 1

The mighty MASTODON:

1. Crack the Skye

In general I prefer prog to outright metal, so it's really no surprise to me that this album retains its top spot. For some years, I had wondered if The  Hunter was my No. 1, but  my current marathon tells me no. Fave tracks: "Ghost of Karelia," "The Czar"

2. Emperor of Sand

This is like a better Hunter. Its ascension to the No. 2 spot is a brand-new development. Fave tracks: "Andromeda," "Jaguar God."

3. The Hunter

Fans often rank this one dead last, but I love the catchy pop-metal hooks. Fave tracks: "Dry Bone Valley" by a long shot, "Stargasm," "Bedazzled Fingernails." Maybe ... it's not easy to choose!

4. Cold Dark Place

An EP made up of tracks culled from the Once More 'Round the Sun and Emperor of Sand sessionsNo fave tracks since I love all four equally.

5. Blood Mountain

The album that made me a 'don fan, so it holds a special place in my heart. Fave tracks: "Colony of Birchmen," "The Wolf is Loose." The second half       tends to drag.

6. Once More 'Round the Sun

"Asleep in the Deep" would likely make it to a Top Ten list.

7. Hushed and Grim

I haven't fully digested this double album yet, even though it's been nearly two years since its release. I suspect in time it'll rise in my personal ranking.        "Gobblers of Dregs" in particular kicked my ass this time around.

8-9. Leviathan and Remission

They're in last place only because the sludge metal flavor doesn't appeal to me as much as their later material. Doesn't mean I don't love them!

What's remarkable to me is not only that Mastodon hasn't released a bad album, but there isn't a single skippable track in their entire canon, although "Diamond in the Witch House" comes close.

Edited by Chronos
Weird unfixable formatting issues.

7 hours ago, Chronos said:

The mighty MASTODON:

1. Crack the Skye

In general I prefer prog to outright metal, so it's really no surprise to me that this album retains its top spot. For some years, I had wondered if The  Hunter was my No. 1, but  my current marathon tells me no. Fave tracks: "Ghost of Karelia," "The Czar"

2. Emperor of Sand

This is like a better Hunter. Its ascension to the No. 2 spot is a brand-new development. Fave tracks: "Andromeda," "Jaguar God."

3. The Hunter

Fans often rank this one dead last, but I love the catchy pop-metal hooks. Fave tracks: "Dry Bone Valley" by a long shot, "Stargasm," "Bedazzled Fingernails." Maybe ... it's not easy to choose!

4. Cold Dark Place

An EP made up of tracks culled from the Once More 'Round the Sun and Emperor of Sand sessionsNo fave tracks since I love all four equally.

5. Blood Mountain

The album that made me a 'don fan, so it holds a special place in my heart. Fave tracks: "Colony of Birchmen," "The Wolf is Loose." The second half       tends to drag.

7. Hushed and Grim

I haven't fully digested this double album yet, even though it's been nearly two years since its release. I suspect in time it'll rise in my personal ranking.        "Gobblers of Dregs" in particular kicked my ass this time around.

They're in last place only because the sludge metal flavor doesn't appeal to me as much as their later material. Doesn't mean I don't love them!

What's remarkable to me is not only that Mastodon hasn't released a bad album, but there isn't a single skippable track in their entire canon, although "Diamond in the Witch House" comes close.

See I do rank The Hunter last. But it's not "dead last" as its only there because something has to be.

Pretty flawless discography for me. Took me YEARS to appreciate anything post-Blood Mountain, but it was all worth it in the end. 

In modern metal, no one has a track record as spotless as Mastodon. 

• Like 1

I'll do Mastdon.

1 Crack The Skye

2. The Hunter

3. Hushed and Grim

4. Once More Round The Sun

5. Blood Mountain

6. Remission

7. Emperor of Sand

8. Leviathan

I didn't include the EP but i too love al the songs.

And i prefer te albums fron Crack the Skye on.  aside from EOS which i get quite bored by.  But if you know anything about me i don't really like metal with overly harsh vocals.  So most ties when a metal band starts out that way it's my least fav period.  Mastodon smoothed out vocally a bit from CTS on so that's my period.

yea i make no secret that mostly harsh vocals annoy the fukk out of me, lol

Mick

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Chronos said:

The mighty MASTODON:

1. Crack the Skye

2. Emperor of Sand

3. The Hunter

4. Cold Dark Place

5. Blood Mountain

7. Hushed and Grim

i'm with you on your last 2 ranked not being my style.

honestly the last 3 i ranked are my least fav so i just c\kinda placed them in any order, lol

Mick

• Like 1