From best to worst in the Hall of Fame

Xanadoood

When Queen is second to last, you know this list is horrible, just a joke

The guy seems to be making a case that while popular, the bands ranked lower were not influential. Queen's vocal tracking was emulated by plenty of their contemporaries and even more bands that followed them.

I'd say that for Rush it's probably Peart's drumming that was the most influential.

• Like 2

I read most of it and liked most of what I read. Favorite was when he nailed Billy Joel's innate mediocrity. But, he totally swings and misses on Rush and Queen (the two entries I'd take real issue with; his take down of post-Gabriel Genesis is also mostly unfair, though post Genesis they did get pretty awful). Rush doesn't have one song that could convince someone of the "band's import"? Really? Half of MP would work, for starters. Queen of course doesn't sound "awful" (he doesn't attempt to justify the assertion for obvious reasons). I guess he is one of those "dicks," as described by one of the South Park guys in Beyond the Lighted Stage, who still won't give Rush their due. And I thought dismissing Rush out of hand was passé, but I guess not. Short of it, the guy makes it pretty clear he is not a prog fan, and as well seems dismissive of hard rock/metal, so none of this is surprising. Edited by Rutlefan

His takevdown of Jeff Beck is inexcusable

200. Jeff Beck (2009)

Beck’s another guy who shows up for all the big all-star nights; with his sleeveless T-shirts and inimitable, highly controlled wowza playing style, he cuts quite a figure. Still, Beck was inducted as part of the Yardbirds; his work solo (most notably Wired and Blow by Blow in the 1970s) and in other ensembles in the years since hasn’t made him anything other than a minor respected figure. I would gladly pay cash money to see him live tomorrow night, but that doesn’t mean he’s not a highly in-clubby inductee and another example of how the hall reflexively absorbs the practitioners of accepted rock-and-roll postures (here, the sexy but not homoerotic guy with a guitar) but remains tone-deaf to innovators in other styles. Except for, you know, ABBA.

• Like 1

What cracks me up is when he says Rush doesn't have a single song you could play someone to try and convince them of the band's import. Tom Sawyer? The Spirit of Radio? I get that it's all opinion, but some of his opinions are baffling.
  • Like 1

His takevdown of Jeff Beck is inexcusable

200. Jeff Beck (2009)

Beck’s another guy who shows up for all the big all-star nights; with his sleeveless T-shirts and inimitable, highly controlled wowza playing style, he cuts quite a figure. Still, Beck was inducted as part of the Yardbirds; his work solo (most notably Wired and Blow by Blow in the 1970s) and in other ensembles in the years since hasn’t made him anything other than a minor respected figure. I would gladly pay cash money to see him live tomorrow night, but that doesn’t mean he’s not a highly in-clubby inductee and another example of how the hall reflexively absorbs the practitioners of accepted rock-and-roll postures (here, the sexy but not homoerotic guy with a guitar) but remains tone-deaf to innovators in other styles. Except for, you know, ABBA.

Dogging Rush and Jeff Beck - totally unintelligent douchebag.

• Like 1

Not a bad reaction for an irrelevant, non-influential band. SPIN Magazine had this to say about the night...

There’s no such thing as a casual Rush fan (just read this list). It’s like a bizarre bespectacled triangulation of the Grateful Dead, Star Trek, and Hawkwind. Nerds who worship power. They transformed what was nominally a celebration to honor Quincy Jones, Heart, blues guitarist Albert King, producer Lou Adler, Public Enemy, Randy Newman, Donna Summer and yes, Rush, into a holy grail deleted scene from I Love You, Man.

https://www.spin.com/2013/04/rock-roll-hall-fame-induction-ceremony-rush-public-enemy-oprah-heart/

:moon: SPIN :moon:

Edited by goose
  • Like 2

This is beauty... http://www.laweekly....sh-fans-4168484

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony Was Ruined By Rush Fans

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony aired on HBO on Saturday. Hopefully you didn't watch it, because it was bad. But pity us: We actually attended the damn thing, at the Nokia Theatre last month.

So, for the sake of catharsis, let's briefly run it down. It's the only way we can move on, and hopefully we can provide you some guffaws in the process. Below is a blow-by-blow account. Also: f**k Rush fans.

:LOL:

Wait, there's more...

Imagine you have this friend who does amazing dragon drawings. Like, you don't give a crap about dragon drawings, but your friend is really nice and really proficient at them. What's worse, your friend gets really famous for his drawings and develops a rabid and obnoxious fanbase. He has nothing to do with his fan base, they don't really change him, and they pay his bills, but they're there nonetheless, everywhere he goes. That's exactly how I feel about Rush. Congrats, dudes. And f**k your fans.

Edited by goose
  • Like 2

Funny how he keeps mentioning Joy Division and New Order as acts that should be in because some other band is. Maybe I’d recognize either band’s work if I heard it, but without Google I can’t name a single song by either one.
  • Like 1

I'm not sure why this douche is even interested in the RRHOF. After all, the whole concept of a hall of fame means that in order to get there you have to have sold out.

Another irony meter trigger: complaining that band X is in because it’s “hip” to like them while saying Todd Rundgren is getting the shaft.

I guess i assumed todd was in already.

If he's not he is getting the shaft for imo. Truly worthy of a questionable honor.

Funny how he keeps mentioning Joy Division and New Order as acts that should be in because some other band is. Maybe I’d recognize either band’s work if I heard it, but without Google I can’t name a single song by either one.

I've never understood why Joy Division gets so much adulation. They released two albums. Bores me to tears.

• Like 1

I've never understood why Joy Division gets so much adulation. They released two albums. Bores me to tears.

I think that Unknown Pleasures is an amazing album. Closer not so much.

But I dont see how they got so much attention.