Is it wrong to be upset with RUSH for not making a new album

Rush1978

Neil joined the band, which was a small upstart "business", and basically conducted a hostile takeover. He became the CEO but allowed Lee and Lifeson to remain the faces of Rush, Inc. But they all knew Peart was the real power behind the throne; the true Puppet King. For 40 years he consolidated his power in such a way that the day he decided to leave was the day Rush, Inc found that it could no longer do business without Peart. And now the company is shuttering its doors as it's saviour, leader, CEO and king skips merrily into the sunset.

Or maybe they just are old and it's time to move on?

Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 3

Neil joined the band, which was a small upstart "business", and basically conducted a hostile takeover. He became the CEO but allowed Lee and Lifeson to remain the faces of Rush, Inc. But they all knew Peart was the real power behind the throne; the true Puppet King. For 40 years he consolidated his power in such a way that the day he decided to leave was the day Rush, Inc found that it could no longer do business without Peart. And now the company is shuttering its doors as it's saviour, leader, CEO and king skips merrily into the sunset.

Scary but many probably believe that, lol

Peart......evil prick.

Mick

• Like 1

Neil didn't "give up" on Rush — he decided after 40 years that he didn't want to do a physically grueling job anymore, that involves a ton of travel and being away from his young daughter. I'd be excited if they ever did anything again but if 20 albums in 40 years isn't enough for you, I don't know what to tell you.

I agree when Neil said he was done, it was time for HIM to retire.

My frustration with Neil is with the way he handled it...he gave everyone short notice, and he took Geddy and Alex into retirement with him. It now appears there will be no Lee Lifeson "project."

They clearly weren't ready to call it quits at that moment picked by Neil. It would have been nice for Neil to acknowledge that and to publicly encourage his two lifetime co-workers to record together again.

Part of being a Rush fan is accepting the fact that even if Geddy, Alex and Neil are your personal heroes, they're not saints. Nobody's perfect 100% of the time. Personally, I always hated how Neil forced Ged and Al's hands into retirement even though they didn't want to, and to be honest, I'm also a bit disappointed in Geddy for not having a spine. He should have told Neil "Look, you may be done, but I'm not. I still want to perform, I still want to make new music, and whether you want to participate or not is your perogative."

I guess he's just too nice to do that.

Right on man, I understand your comment completely

Its just a shame to waste such talent. They certainly arent too old and crippled to play something

A more mellow RUSH works just fine with me, Get Neil a wheelchair and roll the old man to the drum kit, Im sure he can handle it. I feel like people are telling me Neil is not capable of drumming anymore, I always thought i would see the guys grow old together playing songs,

They should try to work something out, A lot of people rely on RUSH to give them a great day, No matter how shitty i feel some days. :rush: will always cure my problems and brighten my day , Any songs any time.

Rush fan : I love Rush but ultimately they are just a band. They are grown men and they can do what they want. They don't exist to please me.

Obsessive fan boy Rush fan: Rush must do what I want. I am upset when they don't put a new album out. How dare they piss me off by breaking up before not putting out at least one more album. How dare they break up at all though. I don't know if I can carry on carry on this cold and empty life without them......:)

• Like 3

And wait.......Ged and Al can no longer work? they HAVE to be retired?

Ged and al can still put stuff out if they choose.

cut the shit, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 5

cut the shit, lol

Mick

fraroc Commandment #1:

Neil quits, EVERYONE stops working! Sun no longer shines! Flowers no longer bloom! Birds stop chirping! Geddy’s a spineless wuss!

• Like 6

Neil didn't "give up" on Rush — he decided after 40 years that he didn't want to do a physically grueling job anymore, that involves a ton of travel and being away from his young daughter. I'd be excited if they ever did anything again but if 20 albums in 40 years isn't enough for you, I don't know what to tell you.

My frustration with Neil is with the way he handled it...he gave everyone short notice, and he took Geddy and Alex into retirement with him. It now appears there will be no Lee Lifeson "project."

They clearly weren't ready to call it quits at that moment picked by Neil. It would have been nice for Neil to acknowledge that and to publicly encourage his two lifetime co-workers to record together again.

Part of being a Rush fan is accepting the fact that even if Geddy, Alex and Neil are your personal heroes, they're not saints. Nobody's perfect 100% of the time. Personally, I always hated how Neil forced Ged and Al's hands into retirement even though they didn't want to, and to be honest, I'm also a bit disappointed in Geddy for not having a spine. He should have told Neil "Look, you may be done, but I'm not. I still want to perform, I still want to make new music, and whether you want to participate or not is your perogative."

You really believe that three guys who have been in a band together for 40 years have not had these conversations with each other? Just because they aren't doing interviews or making public statements about it doesn't mean they haven't talked about all of this stuff. And nobody said that just because Neil wants to retire Geddy and Alex have to, too. They can do whatever they want. Who's to say they won't work together again? The only thing that's clear is if they do do a project together in the future it won't be under the name "Rush." Which is the right thing to do.

To me this comes back to not being able to understand how someone can look at the body of work they've put out — 20 largely great albums over 40 years, plus near-constant touring in that time — and say "no, you know what, that's not enough, I'm mad they aren't going to do more." That's a lot of albums and tours. You'd be hard-pressed to find another band that's kept up this level of quality and consistency for that long a time. I can't think of another one that comes close. Go back and revisit one of their albums you haven't listened to in a while and see if you can discover something new in it.

Or, god forbid, get into other bands. There are lots of them out there!

• Like 6

cut the shit, lol

Mick

fraroc Commandment #1:

Neil quits, EVERYONE stops working! Sun no longer shines! Flowers no longer bloom! Birds stop chirping! Geddy’s a spineless wuss!

i really done like saying this.

but.......some of this thread is utter stupidity.

Maybe we'll hear more from Ged and Al.....maybe not.

and if not.........THAT'S NOT DOWN TO GOD DAMN FUKKIN' NEIL!!!

whew.....sorry saw red again, lol

Mick

• Like 2

You really believe that three guys who have been in a band together for 40 years have not had these conversations with each other? Just because they aren't doing interviews or making public statements about it doesn't mean they haven't talked about all of this stuff. And nobody said that just because Neil wants to retire Geddy and Alex have to, too. They can do whatever they want. Who's to say they won't work together again? The only thing that's clear is if they do do a project together in the future it won't be under the name "Rush." Which is the right thing to do.

To me this comes back to not being able to understand how someone can look at the body of work they've put out — 20 largely great albums over 40 years, plus near-constant touring in that time — and say "no, you know what, that's not enough, I'm mad they aren't going to do more." That's a lot of albums and tours. You'd be hard-pressed to find another band that's kept up this level of quality and consistency for that long a time. I can't think of another one that comes close. Go back and revisit one of their albums you haven't listened to in a while and see if you can discover something new in it.

I listen to every album randomly,

cut the shit, lol

Mick

fraroc Commandment #1:

Mick

Seek help Mick. JUST KIDDING BTW YOU ROCK

Edited by Rush1978
  • Like 1

cut the shit, lol

Mick

fraroc Commandment #1:

Mick

Seek help Mick.

lol

Oh if you only knew how much i hate that song.

which makes this even funnier, lol

Mick

Harboring ill will towards your favorite musicians seems self defeating...

But hey, have at it bro.

Time will do its healing

You've got to let it go

Seriously though thats why they kept it a trio.

3 can retire well before 4.

• Like 6

cut the shit, lol

Mick

fraroc Commandment #1:

Mick

Seek help Mick.

lol

Mick

I dont see how you can hate any RUSH song,

Hows this one for you ---

• Like 2

cut the shit, lol

Mick

fraroc Commandment #1:

Mick

Seek help Mick.

lol

Mick

Better.

:haz:

Mick

cut the shit, lol

Mick

fraroc Commandment #1:

Mick

Seek help Mick.

lol

Mick

Better.

Mick

Let me guess your favorite :rush: Song Here it is ---

cut the shit, lol

Mick

fraroc Commandment #1:

Mick

Seek help Mick.

lol

Mick

Better.

Mick

Video tip: If you want to embed it in your post remove the "s" from the "https" in the address before you post it.

• Like 1

cut the shit, lol

Mick

fraroc Commandment #1:

Mick

Seek help Mick.

lol

Mick

Better.

Mick

Video tip: If you want to embed it in your post remove the "s" from the "https" in the address before you post it.

Thanks i didnt know that, Im new to this give me a break Lol

• Like 1

How is this one Mick ----

Im sure they can still play one at least, The Tears tour 2018 :codger: :zzz:

Edited by Rush1978

How is this one Mick ---- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qWDlpwb6Fg

Im sure they can still play one at least, The Tears tour 2018 :codger: :zzz:

Don't need Peart for that one.

• Like 1

Scary but many probably believe that, lol

Peart......evil prick.

Mick

I hate seeing it end. It sucks. Loooove this band! But I get it. Its over. Life goes on. And I have the albums, DVDs and the memories. So I can relive it all whenever I want. But all things must pass...

My understanding is Ged and especially Al have spoken very little with Neil about this topic after he informed them of his abrupt decision on the fall of 2014

Fraroc, well said. We have to accept Geddys extreme niceness.

While the Bard Van Squalin crowd here loves to defend Neil at all costs, I totally get his retirement, albeit abrupt.

They should have been allowed to do a second leg for Europe, but that's beyond over by now.

A public statement encouraging Al and Ged to keep the faith would have cost him nothing, especially with him knowing the two guys most responsible for pulling him out of the auto parts industry didn't have it in their hearts to retire in n 2015. Damn, didn't think I'd go there.

• Like 2