Is it wrong to be upset with RUSH for not making a new album

Rush1978

Neil didn't "give up" on Rush — he decided after 40 years that he didn't want to do a physically grueling job anymore, that involves a ton of travel and being away from his young daughter. I'd be excited if they ever did anything again but if 20 albums in 40 years isn't enough for you, I don't know what to tell you.

I agree when Neil said he was done, it was time for HIM to retire.

My frustration with Neil is with the way he handled it...he gave everyone short notice, and he took Geddy and Alex into retirement with him. It now appears there will be no Lee Lifeson "project."

They clearly weren't ready to call it quits at that moment picked by Neil. It would have been nice for Neil to acknowledge that and to publicly encourage his two lifetime co-workers to record together again.

He did? If you watch Time Stand Still, it's pretty clear he only agreed to go back on the road because they told him it was "one last time."

Why does he have to tell them to carry on, as if they need his blessing to do that? When Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler reunited with Ronnie James Dio in 2007, Ozzy was running around saying that only him, Bill Ward, Butler and Iommi are Black Sabbath. He even filed a suit against Iommi to prevent him (the owner of the name) from using it in 2007.

Rush is Lee, Lifeson and Peart. Peart wrote the lyrics to the songs. His drumming is something the band's musicianship aura is built upon. Without him, they aren't Rush, and the fact that he's not on the debut is irrelevant. They didn't save him from a life of obscurity, he worked with them to build a great band.

I've said it a few times. I saw R40. Loved it. The CD is not good. Geddy's voice is really haggard at this point. Alex is not in the best of health. I just turned 50 a few months ago and they weren't kids when I got into them in 1980. Let them move on guys. Listen to their albums and enjoy them. If they want to release more music together or separately they will. If they don't, they don't.

• Like 4

Neil didn't "give up" on Rush — he decided after 40 years that he didn't want to do a physically grueling job anymore, that involves a ton of travel and being away from his young daughter. I'd be excited if they ever did anything again but if 20 albums in 40 years isn't enough for you, I don't know what to tell you.

My frustration with Neil is with the way he handled it...he gave everyone short notice, and he took Geddy and Alex into retirement with him. It now appears there will be no Lee Lifeson "project."

They clearly weren't ready to call it quits at that moment picked by Neil. It would have been nice for Neil to acknowledge that and to publicly encourage his two lifetime co-workers to record together again.

He did? If you watch Time Stand Still, it's pretty clear he only agreed to go back on the road because they told him it was "one last time."

Why does he have to tell them to carry on, as if they need his blessing to do that? When Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler reunited with Ronnie James Dio in 2007, Ozzy was running around saying that only him, Bill Ward, Butler and Iommi are Black Sabbath. He even filed a suit against Iommi to prevent him (the owner of the name) from using it in 2007.

Rush is Lee, Lifeson and Peart. Peart wrote the lyrics to the songs. His drumming is something the band's musicianship aura is built upon. Without him, they aren't Rush, and the fact that he's not on the debut is irrelevant. They didn't save him from a life of obscurity, he worked with them to build a great band.

I've said it a few times. I saw R40. Loved it. The CD is not good. Geddy's voice is really haggard at this point. Alex is not in the best of health. I just turned 50 a few months ago and they weren't kids when I got into them in 1980. Let them move on guys. Listen to their albums and enjoy them. If they want to release more music together or separately they will. If they don't, they don't.

Not doing R40, Neil knew he would be giving zero notice. So he gave them some, but not alot.

Listening to the CD, I agree 2015 was the year to retire, but damn, that tour was fun. Worth driving to VA PA NJ, and of course their last east coast show of all time, MSG

Fans of the synth era tend to not agree, but fans of the early years waited forever for a setlist like R40. Then it was seemingly over before it began.

Allocate fewer shows to the 7456 CA performances. Save a little juice in the tank for the setlist they never played. Save something for Europe. 20 shows?

I'm not saying Rush should continue, but tell everyone you're curious what Al and Ged may release together as a project in the future. They made it obvious to everyone they weren't ready to retire. Support the two most important people in your professional life just a tiny bit. Woulda cost Neil nothing.

Allocate fewer shows to the 7456 CA performances. Save a little juice in the tank for the setlist they never played. Save something for Europe. 20 shows?

How about doing away w/ the entire pointless Time Machine Tour as well? There was really no reason for that tour nor the size of it. They could have saved their physical resources, instead of burning themselves out w/ multiple high capacity tours in a relatively short time span. Fewer shows for CA tour. The R40 tour should've been huge, including Europe dates. They should've gone out w/ a giant bang, instead, because of the way it was done, the uncertainty and the suddenness, they went out w/ a whimper. And that, in a nutshell, is what so many long time fans are so upset about. Not that they retired, god knows they deserved to, but the way they retired. A whimper.

Edited by Alien Girl
  • Like 2

I thought a studio album, a goodbye like 'Abbey Road".

It's hard for me to believe Geddy and Lifesong wouldn't be interested in a project some day. The woods are filled with 60-80 year old rockstars still producing.

It's hard for me to believe Geddy and Lifesong wouldn't be interested in a project some day. The woods are filled with 60-80 year old rockstars still producing.

Someday...but the clock is running and its been nearly three years and it appears their interest has diminished.

How about doing away w/ the entire pointless Time Machine Tour as well? There was really no reason for that tour nor the size of it. They could have saved their physical resources, instead of burning themselves out w/ multiple high capacity tours in a relatively short time span. Fewer shows for CA tour. The R40 tour should've been huge, including Europe dates. They should've gone out w/ a giant bang, instead, because of the way it was done, the uncertainty and the suddenness, they went out w/ a whimper. And that, in a nutshell, is what so many long time fans are so upset about. Not that they retired, god knows they deserved to, but the way they retired. A whimper.

You say it very well. It seems time machine, although I enjoyed it at the time, was crammed in to get a certain performer enough wealth to get to his magic retirement number ASAP.

I don't care what they called each tour, but to finally pull out some long forgotten early classics, finally, then only do 35 shows, ignore Europe...

Edited by GabesCavesOfIce
  • Like 2

Not doing R40, Neil knew he would be giving zero notice. So he gave them some, but not alot.

Listening to the CD, I agree 2015 was the year to retire, but damn, that tour was fun. Worth driving to VA PA NJ, and of course their last east coast show of all time, MSG

Fans of the synth era tend to not agree, but fans of the early years waited forever for a setlist like R40. Then it was seemingly over before it began.

I'm not saying Rush should continue, but tell everyone you're curious what Al and Ged may release together as a project in the future. They made it obvious to everyone they weren't ready to retire. Support the two most important people in your professional life just a tiny bit. Woulda cost Neil nothing.

I'm not sure I agree there's a finite amount of performances the band had in its tank for, say, the last 4 years of their career. I think each tour, at the ages they were, they had a certain amount of work they could put in. Peart didn't want to go out at all after CA. Geddy and Alex wanted to go out "one more time," so he agreed to do a North American tour. Why Europe and not South America? It's like a wedding guest list. You have to draw the line somewhere.

Geddy and Alex may say they don't want to retire, but I doubt they're up for a world tour. And, frankly, Geddy's voice isn't up for it either.

• Like 2

They did. Clockwork Angels is better than any album they released since at least 1984. Maybe even 1982.

• Like 3

They did. Clockwork Angels is better than any album they released since at least 1984. Maybe even 1982.

No. With all due respect it isn't.

An Abbey Road type album is one on which there are no duds and one never tires of listening to...Clockwork Angels is not that album. Permanent Waves fits that bill way more, even if it isn't a goodbye album.

• Like 3

An Abbey Road type album is one on which there are no duds and one never tires of listening to...Clockwork Angels is not that album. Permanent Waves fits that bill way more, even if it isn't a goodbye album.

If you have to go back to PeW, doesn't it seem likely that they weren't going to meet your definition in 2015, 2016, 2017 or any other time? Abbey Road was released 6 years after Please Please Me. So in the Beatles' prime (actually, precisely when PeW was released in Rush's career). I don't think they were going to release their masterpiece 40 years in.

• Like 2

If you have to go back to PeW, doesn't it seem likely that they weren't going to meet your definition in 2015, 2016, 2017 or any other time? Abbey Road was released 6 years after Please Please Me. So in the Beatles' prime (actually, precisely when PeW was released in Rush's career). I don't think they were going to release their masterpiece 40 years in.

Maybe so. But I don't think Clock Angels is that album, either. Finale album or not.

Maybe so. But I don't think Clock Angels is that album, either. Finale album or not.

But they went out on a high(er) note. At least IMO.

• Like 3

To be honest, I really couldn't give a f**k...IMO they haven't released anything truly worthy of the brand since 1987, and there's tons of other good music out there.

Honestly Clockwork Angels is a perfect album to go out on. If the last song we ever hear from them is "The Garden," that's fitting.

I personally thought CA was their best album since Power Windows (which is my favorite Rush album) but taste is subjective so not all of you feel that way. And the R40 tour was great. I'm perfectly happy with them hanging it up while they're (relatively) at the peak of their powers rather than turning into a joke. I saw the Who 12 years ago and Roger Daltrey's voice was shot even back then and it was a really disappointing show. Rush never became washed like that.

I don't think we've heard the last of Geddy and Alex making music, whether it's together or separately.

• Like 2

To be honest, I really couldn't give a f**k...IMO they haven't released anything truly worthy of the brand since 1987, and there's tons of other good music out there.

You must be kidding :moon:

Every RUSH album is equal and awesome

• Like 1

Someday...but the clock is running and its been nearly three years and it appears their interest has diminished.

They will need more money sometime I assure you ,

They have baseballs and wine to collect, Plus the 7 year itch will be coming soon

2020 :rush: Reunion

Dont be one of the Faithless --

They say the are stuck to each other forever ?

I hope that is still true Neil Quote " What you love Trumps what you hate,

He will feel this way again and he will Play with RUSH Again, I just know it

Have Faith !!

Edited by Rush1978

Nope, I'm deadly serious

It's plainly you that "must be kidding"

• Like 2

So you think there's no difference in quality between Moving Pictures and Test For Echo or Presto? You're free to hold that opinion, of course, but to me all that really does is denigrate Moving Pictures. It's OK to say you're a Rush fan but you prefer some albums to others.

• Like 3

Have Faith !!

Dude, you're starting to creep Neil out! :)

So you think there's no difference in quality between Moving Pictures and Test For Echo or Presto? You're free to hold that opinion, of course, but to me all that really does is denigrate Moving Pictures. It's OK to say you're a Rush fan but you prefer some albums to others.

Why do you hate whimsical wordplay set to throwaway music and recorded in a quonset hut with two tin cans and a string?

I mean, besides the obvious reasons.

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 1

Have Faith !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upBxXJexMXk

Dude, you're starting to creep Neil out! :)

You creep me out also,

You wouldn't get it, :Neil:

Nope, I'm deadly serious

Sorry you feel that way,

Nope, I'm deadly serious

Sorry you feel that way,

Are there songs that you consider better than any Rush song?

Nope, I'm deadly serious

Sorry you feel that way,

Why?......I'm certainly not.

• Like 1