Jeff Beck or Stevie Ray Vaughan?

Texas King

Beck or SRV?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Beck or SRV?

• Beck
    • SRV

Beck is the innovator, the man who started it all along with Hendrix, Clapton, Page, Blackmore. But unlike those guys he continued to push the boundaries, continued to be an innovator, while Clapton did MTV blues and unplugged pop, and Blackmore effectively retired into Renaissance fantasy and Page semi-retired after Zeppelin, except for supergroups with Coverdale and Rodgers and soundtracks for Death Wish movies.

SRV was really good but he was a follower of Beck, a disciple. Beck was the master and SRV was the apprentice. You wouldn't pick the disciple over the messiah as your saviour would you?

• Like 4

Beck is the innovator, the man who started it all along with Hendrix, Clapton, Page, Blackmore. But unlike those guys he continued to push the boundaries, continued to be an innovator...

Beck does things on a guitar that no one else can do. Sounds, notes, phrases...I listen to him and I keep asking, "How he does do that? How does he even think to do that? It's kinda wrong, but he makes it sound awesome." It's not so much that the technique is hard to do, but the fact that he's coming up with this stuff in the first place. Trying to copy him is futile.

SRV is irreplaceable. There are other players who can do the Texas blues Strat thing, but no one does it like SRV did. There was a fire and fluidity in his blues playing that few can match, and while his tone said Stratocaster, it still sounded like he had a special Strat sound that no one else had.

Still not voting in this one.

• Like 8

SRV is the greatest guitarist I've ever heard. His version of Voodoo Child is indescribably amazing. His playing is so fluid and effortless.
  • Like 2

SRV. But SRV stood on the shoulders of giants which elevated his playing IMO.

Your choice between these two blues rock guitarists?

SRV was blues guitar with rock, rnb and funk added for taste.

Describing Beck as a "Blues rock" guitarist is selling him short IMO.

Best description would be "Beck-style guitar" or "How the fark did he come up with that guitar".

• Like 1

I realize we're probably just talkin; the guitar here, and when Stevie Ray is mentioned, of course, his guitar playing is how he remembered ... But his voice was great - a fantastic complement to his playing and songwriting ..

For that alone, he stands head and shoulders above Jeff Beck - and I really like Jeff Beck

There is no shame being dwarfed by SRV ... Beck is a legend, but SRV is a God, and one of the only guys who could hold his own onstage next to Hendrix

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 3

Beck.

Early recordings with Rod Stewart.... Priceless

Yessssss! Loves me some SRV but Jeff gets the vote on this one.

Edited by pjbear05

SRV was a force of nature...and his death was proof we live in a cold, godless, pitiless universe: Kenny G & Michael Bolton are still alive and SRV is dead. What more proof do we need?

I love Beck but SRV moves my soul and waxes chumps like a candle.

• Like 2

Jeff Beck is my favourite guitarist, so I can't not vote for him

I love SRV, too