losing a pet

jamie

i have to get all this off my chest because i have very unfortunate news. my dog Stanley most likely has a brain tumor and my family has to put him down. i never would've thought that it would have to end this way, just last week he was so happy and go-lucky but his health declined very quickly. at first when he lost his sight i was hoping that was all it was, i can totally live with a blind dog. then his eyes became swollen and were leaking fluids. the doctor suggested that it could be glaucoma, and a brain tumor was a worst case scenario kinda thing, but stanley wasn't matching up all the symptoms and his health was just getting worse way too fast. my mom took him to the vet today and they told her the news.

i don't know if we're putting him down tomorrow or friday, we have to discuss payment options with the vet. it breaks my heart to pieces because stanley is still fairly happy. he's eating, drinking, wagging his tail, and coming right up to anyone who has food. he's clearly not in agony but he's definitely in discomfort and we know that it will only get much worse, so we need to put him down as soon as we can so we can begin healing.

i'm infinitely thankful that stanley came into my family's life, he has brought us countless smiles and so much laughter. him and my dad have been best friends since day one, and stanley is the best dog i've ever had. no dog can ever replace the wonderful impact that he's had on my family. he has so much love and happiness in his heart, he loved me and my family to pieces. i'm not sure what his previous family was like, but i'm so so so so so glad that we got to make these last 5 years for him absolutely incredible. even if we could afford to remove the tumor, his quality of life wouldn't be as great as it was the past few years.

i am also thankful that i still have my other dog rupert and my cats and even my neighbor's akita Kobe. they all make me very happy too and this is just another chapter of my life that i have to get through. like my sister said earlier, "i know that i will always outlive every cat or dog that i own, and it's sad but that's the reality. as long as i get to bond with that pet and give them the best life possible, it's okay. i know that stanley loves us and he will be with us in spirit."

• Like 10

So sorry for you and Stanley. :hug2: It is one of the hardest parts of having a special pet, having to let them go. It sounds like you were a wonderful companion for him and he was dearly loved and loved you and your family back. I hope you can find some comfort in knowing that you had such a great friend to love, even if it was only for a short time.

I agree with your sister, as long as i get to bond with that pet and give them the best life possible, it's okay. i know that stanley loves us and he will be with us in spirit :rose:

I always like think of the Rainbow Bridge, it makes me happy to think my furry friends are there waiting for me to join them.

http://www.rainbowbridge.com/Poem.htm

• Like 5

I've lost I don't know how many pets over the years and it's something you just don't ever get used to. It's always hard and heart breaking. It's like losing a member of the family. I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. Pets bring so much joy, love and companionship to our lives.
  • Like 8

I've lost three cats over the years, one boy, and two girls (who were sisters). I know how it feels - pets are a part of our family.

I'm so sorry about Stanley.

:hug2:

• Like 7

I'm really sorry to hear this...I just had to put my dog Mike to sleep, less than two months ago. He was getting older and slowing down, but we didn't find out until about a week before he died that he had a tumor the size of a lemon on his spleen...and his kidneys were failing. If it had just been the cancer, he might have had an operation and been in good shape for another year and a half or so. But the failing kidneys were taking him down much faster. I'm glad I didn't know sooner that he was as sick as he was.

He lived in Louisiana before I got him from the vet who rescued him, in 2006. He had been through Hurricane Katrina and was displaced from his original owner, and was on the streets (the flooded mess of a swamp that New Orleans' streets were, in the aftermath of that storm) for about a month before he was rescued. And I got to have him for eleven years. He was an incredible dog, and an incredible friend.

I'm really sorry to hear about Stanley.

• Like 9

I am so sorry to hear this Jamie. I know how you feel, I have lost both my cat and dog. Its really hard at first, but then you get used to it, I mean you will still think about them a lot, but you wont feel that sadness anymore. When I think about my pets now, I just feel happy. Because I think about all the good memories I had with them.

So just get thru this hard part, then you will be all right, I know you will! Just enjoy these last days with your dog and be with him a lot, let him have a good ending of his life.

• Like 8

So sorry to hear about Stanley. He sounds like he was a great dog and a member of your family. It's never easy to lose a pet and it seems harder when they die of some horrible illness or condition and not to a ripe old age. I have a couple of cats taken from me when they were still young and it took me a long time to get over it. I hope when you're ready that you'll find another dog to adopt. There are so many homeless animals and we humans can make their lives better.
  • Like 6

Sorry about Stanley, its good to hear he was in such a loving environment, for his life. Its incredible the bond between us and our pets, unrealised. its a tough thing to go through, putting pets down. Though it reaffirms, how loving and caring you are of Stanley. I have had two cats put down, Korky and Tippy. Korky was a tough thing to experience. I buried them both. Best wishes to you all.
  • Like 3

Jamie, I am so sorry ... The wonderful dogs and cats and other living things that come into our lives are family, and losing one is gut wrenching ..

Just try to remember that the hurt and sadness you are feeling now is an indication of how much you love them and how much you care .. And how much they have love you in return ..

I heard somebody define heaven once as a place where, when you get there, all the dogs you ever loved run to greet you ..

• Like 3

Sorry to hear this. I still miss my golden retriever that died a few years ago. Doesn't help that my other dogs are kind of buttholes that make me miss him even more, but I love them anyway.

Sorry for your loss. :hug2:

• Like 2

i have to get all this off my chest because i have very unfortunate news. my dog Stanley most likely has a brain tumor and my family has to put him down. i never would've thought that it would have to end this way, just last week he was so happy and go-lucky but his health declined very quickly. at first when he lost his sight i was hoping that was all it was, i can totally live with a blind dog. then his eyes became swollen and were leaking fluids. the doctor suggested that it could be glaucoma, and a brain tumor was a worst case scenario kinda thing, but stanley wasn't matching up all the symptoms and his health was just getting worse way too fast. my mom took him to the vet today and they told her the news.

i don't know if we're putting him down tomorrow or friday, we have to discuss payment options with the vet. it breaks my heart to pieces because stanley is still fairly happy. he's eating, drinking, wagging his tail, and coming right up to anyone who has food. he's clearly not in agony but he's definitely in discomfort and we know that it will only get much worse, so we need to put him down as soon as we can so we can begin healing.

i'm infinitely thankful that stanley came into my family's life, he has brought us countless smiles and so much laughter. him and my dad have been best friends since day one, and stanley is the best dog i've ever had. no dog can ever replace the wonderful impact that he's had on my family. he has so much love and happiness in his heart, he loved me and my family to pieces. i'm not sure what his previous family was like, but i'm so so so so so glad that we got to make these last 5 years for him absolutely incredible. even if we could afford to remove the tumor, his quality of life wouldn't be as great as it was the past few years.

i am also thankful that i still have my other dog rupert and my cats and even my neighbor's akita Kobe. they all make me very happy too and this is just another chapter of my life that i have to get through. like my sister said earlier, "i know that i will always outlive every cat or dog that i own, and it's sad but that's the reality. as long as i get to bond with that pet and give them the best life possible, it's okay. i know that stanley loves us and he will be with us in spirit."

Sorry for the situation, Jamie. not looking forward to that time with my kitties... :pussy:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/sad%20banana%20gif.gif

• Like 2

Jamie, I am so sorry ... The wonderful dogs and cats and other living things that come into our lives are family, and losing one is gut wrenching ..

Just try to remember that the hurt and sadness you are feeling now is an indication of how much you love them and how much you care .. And how much they have love you in return ..

I heard somebody define heaven once as a place where, when you get there, all the dogs you ever loved run to greet you ..

Yes, the Rainbow Bridge.

• Like 4

aww Jamie I am sorry to hear this. Best wishes to you.

I am dreading that day with Naima. It will come, but I have no idea when.

Don't worry about when, and don't dread it if she still has a good amount of life left.

She has a great name!

• Like 4

aww Jamie I am sorry to hear this. Best wishes to you.

I am dreading that day with Naima. It will come, but I have no idea when.

Don't worry about when, and don't dread it if she still has a good amount of life left.

She has a great name!

LOL! yeah, the name was VERY apropos.

Yeah, to be honest I probably worry about it more than I should... she came into my life at a very difficult point. It would take too long to explain here! haha....

Hopefully she has more good years in her. 12 years old but still runs around like a kitten.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this, having gone through it enough times myself, and not just with my own animals.

As some of you may know, I used to be an animal control officer, and I dealt with this on an almost daily basis. Having an animal put down never was easy but in a lot of cases, it was better than having the animal suffer needless pain.

Rocky, my hound/lab mix is 12 and he's getting bumpy and lumpy. Nothing serious yet but the vet says if they start getting larger, get him in. Boy I hope that's not for a while.

Hug your pet every day!

• Like 4

Thank you everyone for the support, it truly means the world to me. We are putting him down tomorrow and I will say goodbye to him before work, that way i don't have to watch my mom take him and leave. I really don't know how/if i can keep myself together at work tomorrow but i'll try my best. i think work will be good to distract me and kinda help get it off my mind. i took stanley on a short walk and he got to have a whole slice of pizza to himself, pizza is is favorite food. Just when i think i can't cry anymore there are more tears, but i gotta get all of this out so i can heal.
  • Like 6

Thank you everyone for the support, it truly means the world to me. We are putting him down tomorrow and I will say goodbye to him before work, that way i don't have to watch my mom take him and leave. I really don't know how/if i can keep myself together at work tomorrow but i'll try my best. i think work will be good to distract me and kinda help get it off my mind. i took stanley on a short walk and he got to have a whole slice of pizza to himself, pizza is is favorite food. Just when i think i can't cry anymore there are more tears, but i gotta get all of this out so i can heal.

:hug2: I Hope u feel better meme. :(

I don't want u to be sad :(

I'm so sorry to hear this, Jamie, ((hugs)) to you and Stanley. Losing a beloved pet is such a hard thing and you have my total sympathy; dogs give us such unconditional love; they are wonderful. Your story of the walk and the pizza is so sweet, it really brought out the bond between you two. Give yourself some time to remember all the good memories and grieve if you need to. Take care. :hug2:
  • Like 1

Thread reminds me of when I was a kid, my uncle had a golden lab called Duke, smartest dog I've ever met to this day. There came a time when he was old and sick that he had to put him down which he took care of the old fashioned way, country boy that he was.. as he was getting his jacket on ol Duke pulled himself up off the floor and brought him his boots.. that sure didn't make things any easier :/