losing a pet

jamie

I'm sorry I'm a bit late to this but I know what you're going through and I hope you're doing alright. It's a terrible thing to lose such a special pet and it's great that you gave him such a kind and loving environment for the time you had him. Feel good knowing you were kind masters and that he felt loved by your family and lived several happy years with you.

Sorry to hear about this lass......

It's one of the worst feelings in the world.

When I had to let Leo, my beloved Cocker Spaniel go, it just about broke me.....

It's really hard for a while, but gradually you come to remember them as they were, and all the good things they brought to your life, and the aching sadness becomes a fond memory that never really leaves you.

One thing that can be helpful and cathartic is to have some sort of ceremony, eg scattering their ashes at a place they particularly liked.

Big hugs and lots of love to you, Jamie. I am very, very sorry for your loss. They are not just "pets", they are family!!

I had to say goodbye to My Little Buddy Sam (aka Butterbean, Short Rib, Pardner and sometimes Gooberhead) last month. He had developed kidney disease and it had advanced to a point that the vet said if they tried to extend his life at all then the most we would get with him would be 1-2 weeks so we made the decision to euthanize him and as we were sitting in a room waiting for the vet I lost it. I sobbed like I haven't sobbed in years and all I could say was "I need my Buddy!" over and over again. He was the best, sweetest, smartest, loving, even-tempered, and amazing dog I've ever seen in my life and I shall miss him a lot. We had 14 wonderful years with him and that's a Blessing right there. He had a good long life and we did our best to make it as good as we could. We absolutely spoiled him and he was 100% worthy of it!! I love my Sam and look forward to the day we meet again.

• Like 1

Big hugs and lots of love to you, Jamie. I am very, very sorry for your loss. They are not just "pets", they are family!!

I had to say goodbye to My Little Buddy Sam (aka Butterbean, Short Rib, Pardner and sometimes Gooberhead) last month. He had developed kidney disease and it had advanced to a point that the vet said if they tried to extend his life at all then the most we would get with him would be 1-2 weeks so we made the decision to euthanize him and as we were sitting in a room waiting for the vet I lost it. I sobbed like I haven't sobbed in years and all I could say was "I need my Buddy!" over and over again. He was the best, sweetest, smartest, loving, even-tempered, and amazing dog I've ever seen in my life and I shall miss him a lot. We had 14 wonderful years with him and that's a Blessing right there. He had a good long life and we did our best to make it as good as we could. We absolutely spoiled him and he was 100% worthy of it!! I love my Sam and look forward to the day we meet again.

I think we sometimes feel worse when we lose a pet than a human.

I know how you feel. Get another dog ASAP. It won't be Sam, but I am sure Sam would want you to do it.

• Like 2

I am ready but my wife is not. I've a feeling we'll be going to the shelter afore too long, tho. Meanwhile we have Sam's sister, River, to dote on and spoil! :D
  • Like 1

I'm sorry for your loss. I've yet to have anyone very close to me die so when I've had pets that had to be euthanized, it was definitely the hardest thing I've had to deal with.

• Like 2