Roger Waters vs David Gilmour

YYZumbi

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you prefer most?

2. 2. Who do you think is the better song writer? (both within Pink Floyd and solo)

3. 3. Who do you think have the best singing voice?

System won't allow me to not vote for the first question. I think Roger is the better writer and David the better singer - but which do I prefer? It's like asking which of your children do you want to board the train for the camps... (too soon?) Their combination is what made Floyd magic. The absence of either seriously compromises that magic.

that said, I will say that "Amused to Death" is one of my all time favorites. The cinematic aspects of Floyd taken to their pinnacle; add in some great guest musicians (notably Jeff Beck and Jeff Porcaro) and some of the most biting lyrics Roger ever penned.

All in all, I prefer Pink Floyd with Roger, David, Rick, and Nick.

Prefer Roger by a hair, simply for the insane compositional abilities...however Gilmore is the better musician.

Roger is an insane songwriter. Gonna go with my gut here.

David has a much nicer voice though. Maybe not as versatile as Roger, but always beautiful.

I choose not to decide.. But here's this ..

My Fav album by floyd/Roger is the final Cut.

i get looks from people but it really is.

it's Like the Wall but more concise but done with much more heart.

Mick

Final Cut is my favorite as well!

• Like 1

Roger Waters coasts too much on past glories. David Gilmour is simply more active and productive. For lack of a better word, he moves forward. And his guitar playing is exquisite and his voice compliments great melodies. With that said, Roger Waters borders on Rock music genius. He's not one. He could have been one. But he's close. Overall, I prefer Gilmour.
  • Like 3

Mick

I can't like this enough.

• Like 1

Waters was the force behind the best music they did together, so even though Gilmour has been much better and more prolific in the last 35 years, I'll give Waters the nod for songwriting.

For singing, that one is tough. In his prime, Waters had this kind of crazed vocal style that really worked, but his voice fell apart decades ago. Meanwhile, Gilmour has always had a pleasant and nice sounding voice, one that isn't tough on his vocal chords, which is why it has aged well.

From a personality standpoint, it isn't close: Gilmour. Waters was too much of a grumpy curmudgeon for most of his life for me to pick him.

I greatly prefer Gilmour as a solo artist, but both made their best music with the other. It's too bad they can't put aside the personal differences and collaborate once more.
  • Like 2

Roger Waters coasts too much on past glories. David Gilmour is simply more active and productive. For lack of a better word, he moves forward. And his guitar playing is exquisite and his voice compliments great melodies. With that said, Roger Waters borders on Rock music genius. He's not one. He could have been one. But he's close. Overall, I prefer Gilmour.

^^^This. Gilmour 3X, not even close IMHO.

fun fact:

"Childhood's End" is a song from Pink Floyd's 1972 album Obscured by Clouds.[1][2] It was the last Pink Floyd song to be composed entirely by David Gilmour, as well as the last to feature lyrics written by him, until A Momentary Lapse of Reason in 1987. The song was inspired by the 1953 science-fiction novel of the same name by Arthur C. Clarke. Coincidentally, this song and Genesis' "Watcher of the Skies" were both influenced by the novel and released in the same year.

• Like 2

Who Do i prefer More-David

Better Songwriter-Roger

Better Voice-David

Makes me wish they could still work together. I do like and love a lot of David stuff (80s90s Floyd and his solo music), but they really did play to their strengths when they worked together (leading up to and including parts of THE WALL.)

Mick

Final Cut has grown on me in the past few years. I really like it now.

One of their best albums ever even if it's largely considered a Water solo album.

• Like 1

Mick

Final Cut has grown on me in the past few years. I really like it now.

One of their best albums ever even if it's largely considered a Water solo album.

The title song is jaw-droppingly beautiful. Same with Southampton Dock.