The poppiest Rush song?

Texas King

Time Stand Still strikes to me, could've been made by any '80s popstar.

New World Man, too.

Though there's nothing wrong with liking pop, IMO, though those two songs I really hate. Songs like Mystic Rhythms and Subdivisions are Rush doing pop much better.

Edited by Eel Yddeg
  • Like 2

How annoying,you lot have me imagining Celine Dion singing to Rush's 'lighter' moments.Is this because Geddy has a high voice.
  • Like 1

How annoying,you lot have me imagining Celine Dion singing to Rush's 'lighter' moments.Is this because Geddy has a high voice.

No, it's because they're both Canadian. :P

• Like 1

No matter what, Hold Your Fire has the most songs that qualify for this. Some may choose "Time Stand Still" as most poppy, but I think it's "Second Nature." Easily. The only song in Rush's catalogue that would be right at home with Celine Dion singing on it. It's AM radio adult contemporary, and I can't believe it's a Rush song.

Once again our boys concurring another genre. I really enjoy Hold Your Fire, of course it came out when I was maturing into adulthood. Had I been 14 years old I might had considered the album sell out garbage.

Coincidentally, I had just turned 15 when it came out and that thought never crossed my mind. I just thought that it sounded different but I liked it anyway. Besides, it wasn't toooooo far of a leap from Power Windows.

To answer the op's question, my first thought was Time Stand Still.

Scars would make a great clubbing dance track but if you talking pure poppy sh*t gotta be new world man or anagram (i hate putting the 'for mongo' in brackets) just call it anagram ffs
  • Like 2

HYF seems really poppy on the surface until you realize that the bass lines are so complicated that Geddy says the reason they didn't play songs like Lock and Key and Turn The Page after the HYF tour is because of over complexity. Presto and Roll The Bones are the poppiest albums. From Presto, Anagram and Superconductor come to mind. From RTB, The Big Wheel and Face Up, YBYL come to mind as well.

No matter what, Hold Your Fire has the most songs that qualify for this. Some may choose "Time Stand Still" as most poppy, but I think it's "Second Nature." Easily. The only song in Rush's catalogue that would be right at home with Celine Dion singing on it. It's AM radio adult contemporary, and I can't believe it's a Rush song.

The bass playing on that album compensates for any synth pop pretensions that may otherwise drag it down. It's got killer basslines and memorable bass melodies on almost every song.

• Like 3

The bass playing on that album compensates for any synth pop pretensions that may otherwise drag it down. It's got killer basslines and memorable bass melodies on almost every song.

No doubt. Geddy's bass tone leaves a little to be desired, but his playing is real good. But there are still more pop-like songs on that album than I care to have.

• Like 2

No doubt. Geddy's bass tone leaves a little to be desired, but his playing is real good. But there are still more pop-like songs on that album than I care to have.

When I first got that album in 1987 I didn't really listen to it properly at first and sort of dismissed it as boring. Once I got back to it though and listened to it properly i had no problems with it. I had already got over my synth-era doldrums somewhere in the years between Signals and Power Windows.

• Like 1

I'm runnin i' here, I'm runnin' there

I'm lookin' for a girl

'Cause there's nothin' I need, there's nothin' I want more

In the whole wide world

Well, I need it quick and I need it now

Before I start to fade away

That's why I'm searchin', that's why I'm lookin'

Each and ev'ry day

Surprised Lakeside Park has not been mentioned. On a scale of 1 to 5 with a 1 being not just a bad Rush song, but just a bad song, and a 5 being a great song by Rush's standards, I would rank it a 4. So obviously I like it a lot. But I also find it to be a pop sounding song (by 70's Rush standards).

I figured a ton of folks would jump all over HYF, Presto, RTB and some the material from Signals & Grace Under Pressure. But I figured Lakeside Park would get mentioned quickly as well.

Scars would make a great clubbing dance track but if you talking pure poppy sh*t gotta be new world man or anagram (i hate putting the 'for mongo' in brackets) just call it anagram ffs

Not a fan of Blazing Saddles?

just too long-winded for general discussion purposes bud, no problem with the title per se but having to type Anagram (For Mongo) every time just does my head in :) Anagram kinda works enough, seein as the song basically a play on anagrams obviously.

not a major issue like. at least i dont think so, everything being relative and such. Hope everyone having a great Boxing Day.

Edited by lifeson90

Not a fan of Blazing Saddles?

just too long-winded for general discussion purposes bud, no problem with the title per se but having to type Anagram (For Mongo) every time just does my head in :) Anagram kinda works enough, seein as the song basically a play on anagrams obviously.

not a major issue like. at least i dont think so, everything being relative and such. Hope everyone having a great Boxing Day.

No prob.

Actually, I'm a fan of the movie but not the song. I don't hate it or anything but if I never heard it again I wouldn't be hurting :hail:

I like Anagram (the song) but not so much the movie. I was about 15 when Mel Brooks' History of the World came out and I thought it was hilarious and saw it twice. About 5 years ago I got the DVD and didn't find it very funny at all. Hold Your Fire has the big but soft production of the time but they built up to it and it was in my top 5 Rush albums for years. After going a few years without playing it the production was a bit jarring. In 1989 the change in production

to Presto was more jarring. However, the songs are not as pop sounding to me as on RTB.

The big Wheel. it could pass for a Cher song.

looking for LOOOOOOVE

Mick

It IS a Cher song.

I also love it haha