Grunge bands clash: Nirvana or Alice in Chains?

Texas King

Nirvana VS Alice in Chains  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Nirvana VS Alice in Chains

• Nirvana
    • Alice in Chains

Interesting thread.

AiC fans: we love the band and the songs.

Nirvana fans: you're wrong.

How so? I did point out I would be surprised if Nirvana got more votes than Alice in Chains on this forum. Did I point out Alice in Chains fans are wrong for being Alice in Chains fans?

This.

I just think Nirvana are a one in a million kind of phenomenon. Doesn't mean they are the greatest band of all time or even their generation, they just have a certain x factor.

• Like 1

AIC

My first experience with AIC and their music was at a Van Halen concert at the Izod Center, NJ in the early 90's. Depending on the main act, I'm not too motivated to get into the arena early to see the opening band. This night I did and AIC was the opener. I was very impressed.

Jar of Flies in a fantastic listen.

http://youtu.be/zRxqG4Td-9g

Jar of flies is fantastic, such an atmosphere present, can listen to that, all the way through.

• Like 1

As has been said by other, Nirvana had a huge impact on music with Nevermind. Don't see AIC having a similar impact on music. That being said, I strongly dislike Nirvana as I liked the 80's hair metal sound that was swept away by Grunge. AIC, as others have said, I don't see as being as much grunge as Nirvana. I see them as metalish (of some sort). That being said, I don't care for AIC either. Voted for AIC - they are the less objectionable of the 2.

Interesting thread.

How so? I did point out I would be surprised if Nirvana got more votes than Alice in Chains on this forum. Did I point out Alice in Chains fans are wrong for being Alice in Chains fans?

Not sure why you think the post was directed at you... However, your argument that "nirvana is too punk" for those that prefer AiC is questionable. I haven't seen anyone say that. They just prefer AiC.

Interesting thread.

Not sure why you think the post was directed at you... However, your argument that "nirvana is too punk" for those that prefer AiC is questionable. I haven't seen anyone say that. They just prefer AiC.

I meant too "punk" for fans of Rush. I think Alice in Chains is much more in line musically for most Rush fans. I guess it's the metal or hard rock overlap.

Interesting thread.

That's it you too squabble over grunge bands for my entertainment! :clap:

• Like 1

Interesting thread.

Wrong 'too.'

I prefer the word 'squalor' over 'squabble' but the latter is potentially more fun.

The genre 'grunge' is an illusion, like most other genres.

Interesting thread.

Wrong 'too.'

I prefer the word 'squalor' over 'squabble' but the latter is potentially more fun.

The genre 'grunge' is an illusion, like most other genres.

Yeah I got my two and too mixed up for some reason. :oops:

Did someone say The Clash?

I will take The Clash over these two fuckking Seattle poser wankers!!

Soundgarden blows those two shite bands away.

I saw them both live so hey, it's my opinion.

I wish Andrew Wood never died.

Mother Love Bone was better than these bands combined! JMO!!!!

I saw Alice open for Ozzy on the No More Tears Tour.

Layne sang the set in a fuckking wheelchair with a broken leg. It was epic, yet still. Not a big fan.

The Pearl Jam "TEN" album is better than any of the albums by these two bands and I hate PJ after "TEN."

I saw the "Ten" Tour at The Warfield in SF. Rage Against The Machine opened. I was like.... "Who the fuckk are these guys? KICK ASS!!"

Then the singer LaRoche jumped into the crowd after the set and started handing out cassette demos of the band.

The were unknown at the time.

My fuckking buddy Gred snagged a cassette from Zach's hand.

Not sure if he still has it.

Of course I didn't get one.

Grunge sucks ass but I do enjoy the early shit.

Sub Pop

Green River

Mudhoney

Tad

L7

Nirvana is so fuckingg overrated.

I would take "Bleach" over NEVERMIND THE BOLLOCKS! LOL!!! SEX PISTOLS DESTROY NIRVANA!!

I heard that Kurt Cobain predicted that Trump was going to be our President. Is this true??

Did you know that a Simpsons episode called "BART TO THE FUTURE" has Lisa Simpson as the President as an adult. She was trying to clean up President Trump's mess.

Does this mean that Lisa Simpson is Hillary Clinton?

Crazy shite man.

Don't shoot the messenger.

I didn't make this shite up!

NIRVANA IS NOT A LEGEND!!!!

OVERRATED SHITE!

I saw Red Hot Chili Peppers

Nirvana

Pearl Jam

L7

At the Cow Palace on New Year's Eve.

Nirvana was good but then they just ripped off The Who at the end.

Destroying all of their instruments.

Grohl looked like an angry idiot smashing his drum kit into pieces.

I thought it was so over the top fake and lame and copycat.

Keith Moon probably rolled over in his grave.

Grunge is so overrated just like Grohl and I do like him.

Very talented and very outspoken.

Rush fan.

But still.

Give me Screaming Trees or Stone Temple Pilots instead.

Oh wait... STP is from LA. LOL!

Fucck that band too.

"Core" was ok.

Interesting thread.

Pretty much.

But that's what all Nirvana fans say whenever the band is up for discussion. They also like to bring up the huge musical/cultural impact the band had as if anyone is denying that when they say they don't care for them.

You're wrong

NirvVagina is beyond overrated and junk.

A two album wonder with a third album of pure spew. IN UTERO is useless!

If you don't like my opinion then just shut up and eat my "MOIST VAGINA!" Eat My CUPCAKE!!!! WARRIOR!

'STARDOG CHAMPION" BABY!!!

RIP ANDREW WOOD!

Did someone say The Clash?

I will take The Clash over these two fuckking Seattle poser wankers!!

Soundgarden blows those two shite bands away.

I saw them both live so hey, it's my opinion.

I wish Andrew Wood never died.

Mother Love Bone was better than these bands combined! JMO!!!!

I saw Alice open for Ozzy on the No More Tears Tour.

Layne sang the set in a fuckking wheelchair with a broken leg. It was epic, yet still. Not a big fan.

The Pearl Jam "TEN" album is better than any of the albums by these two bands and I hate PJ after "TEN."

I saw the "Ten" Tour at The Warfield in SF. Rage Against The Machine opened. I was like.... "Who the fuckk are these guys? KICK ASS!!"

Then the singer LaRoche jumped into the crowd after the set and started handing out cassette demos of the band.

The were unknown at the time.

My fuckking buddy Gred snagged a cassette from Zach's hand.

Not sure if he still has it.

Of course I didn't get one.

Grunge sucks ass but I do enjoy the early shit.

Sub Pop

Green River

Mudhoney

Tad

L7

Nirvana is so fuckingg overrated.

I would take "Bleach" over NEVERMIND THE BOLLOCKS! LOL!!! SEX PISTOLS DESTROY NIRVANA!!

I heard that Kurt Cobain predicted that Trump was going to be our President. Is this true??

Did you know that a Simpsons episode called "BART TO THE FUTURE" has Lisa Simpson as the President as an adult. She was trying to clean up President Trump's mess.

Does this mean that Lisa Simpson is Hillary Clinton?

Crazy shite man.

Don't shoot the messenger.

I didn't make this shite up!

NIRVANA IS NOT A LEGEND!!!!

OVERRATED SHITE!

I saw Red Hot Chili Peppers

Nirvana

Pearl Jam

L7

At the Cow Palace on New Year's Eve.

Nirvana was good but then they just ripped off The Who at the end.

Destroying all of their instruments.

Grohl looked like an angry idiot smashing his drum kit into pieces.

I thought it was so over the top fake and lame and copycat.

Keith Moon probably rolled over in his grave.

Grunge is so overrated just like Grohl and I do like him.

Very talented and very outspoken.

Rush fan.

But still.

Oh wait... STP is from LA. LOL!

Fucck that band too.

"Core" was ok.

STP is from San Diego

I never appreciated Nirvana until I was older. They blew up when I was about 10 and I was all thrash all the time by then. All my friends in junior high loved them though. I've dug in since then and understand what the fuss was about, but still vote for AIC now.
  • Like 1

Coincidentally, I was listening to Screaming Trees' Dust this afternoon. It's my favorite album of the 90s. Better than Dirt or Ten or Nevermind or Siamese Dream or anything by Rush that decade or whatever. But anytime I mention Dust I hear crickets and watch the tumbleweeds roll by.

I don't consider Trees grunge though.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

Nirvana is pure crap for me. Never ever liked them. The positive that came out of it was The Foo Fighters.

Way over hyped and they IMO would have faded into obscurity. Kinda like Quiet Riot was the start of the hair metal era....but they sucked.

That's Nirvana for me.

Alice In Chains have many good flavors (Dirt, Jar Of Flies, Sap) great song writing, intense songs, riffage, great playing. Nirvana is the opposite polar opposite for me.

As has been said by other, Nirvana had a huge impact on music with Nevermind. Don't see AIC having a similar impact on music. That being said, I strongly dislike Nirvana as I liked the 80's hair metal sound that was swept away by Grunge. AIC, as others have said, I don't see as being as much grunge as Nirvana. I see them as metalish (of some sort). That being said, I don't care for AIC either. Voted for AIC - they are the less objectionable of the 2.

That's great and all......but music is subjective. In my ears they were trash. Mainstream ate them up while I disregarded them and rocked out to STP, Pearl Jam (Ten) AIC (Dirt), Soundgarden (Bad Motorfinger and Superunknown), hell Temple of The Dog which was the very best "grunge" album imo.

In the meantime Kurt was misrable, wrote about how misrable he was, they sucked balls live and then he blew his head off and became a legend.

Meh.....whatever. Lousy band. Lousy music that never even aged well to boot. Over rated, over hyped, and again.....no impact on me personally.

I think Pearl Jam, STP, AIC, Soundgarden.....all those bands would have made it big regardless of Nirvana. But like I had said and many others, Nirvana did open doors and was a watershed moment for rock music as a whole....but it does not make their music that much better for me personally like it seems to for a lot of people. I just don't "get it". I can't stand his voice, and again live they were the suck.

Most people don't get Rush. I understand not "getting it". That is what makes music so great. Different strokes for different folks.

• Like 2

This whole page sounds like it's these guys talking music...

http://www.bullbearings.co.uk/uploads/adverts/article_img/20141110-hipster-investing.jpg

LMAO!!!

http://www.bullbearings.co.uk/uploads/adverts/article_img/20141110-hipster-investing.jpg

I like everything they are wearing but those jeans.

Give me washed out grey or faded navy...

Anyway...

Interesting thread.

Pretty much.

But that's what all Nirvana fans say whenever the band is up for discussion. They also like to bring up the huge musical/cultural impact the band had as if anyone is denying that when they say they don't care for them.

You're wrong

NirvVagina is beyond overrated and junk.

A two album wonder with a third album of pure spew. IN UTERO is useless!

If you don't like my opinion then just shut up and eat my "MOIST VAGINA!" Eat My CUPCAKE!!!! WARRIOR!

'STARDOG CHAMPION" BABY!!!

RIP ANDREW WOOD!

That moment you're scrolling up and you know it's an Earl post just by the writing style...

Anyway, for me: Pearl Jam>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>AIC>>>>>>>>Nirvana

LMAO!!!

:LOL: f**k I hope we don't look like that :LOL:

Oh hell no man.

• Like 1

Earlier today I listened to Nevermind. I think it's as great today as when I first heard it in 1991 or so. Impeccably produced and sequenced. It's slick. It's guttural. It slashes. It shakes you. One of the greatest albums ever.
  • Like 3