Grunge bands clash: Nirvana or Alice in Chains?

Texas King

Nirvana VS Alice in Chains  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Nirvana VS Alice in Chains

• Nirvana
    • Alice in Chains

It seems Nirvana is too punk for most on the Rush Forum.

Or Rush fans see them for what they truly were, an overrated one album wonder band :huh:

Of course if the band lasted longer, it could have been possible for them to write an album like Nevermind again but we'll never know.

Referring to them as an "one album wonder band" is like referring to the Beatles as a boy band. Nothing can be further from the truth.

• Like 2

Or Rush fans see them for what they truly were, an overrated one album wonder band :huh:

Of course if the band lasted longer, it could have been possible for them to write an album like Nevermind again but we'll never know.

Referring to them as an "one album wonder band" is like referring to the Beatles as a boy band. Nothing can be further from the truth.

I remember that! :LOL:

Nirvana isnt even punk enough for Mark E. Smith.

So what? Mark E. Smith is the final word on what's punk? Is the Fall that good?

Heh, I doubt MES gives a shite tbh. I like them, but they are pretty obscure, cool but very strange. Check em out sometime. Grotesque and Hex Enduction Hour are fantastic.

AIC all the way. Although, I never really considered AIC to be "grunge". I always thought they were more "metal".

I never considered any of those bands "grunge". They were always rock bands...and some rocked harder than others.

When I first heard AIC I was a freshman in college and Facelift had just been released. The first song I heard was Man in the Box. I don't remember bothering to label it metal then but if someone had mentioned it I wouldn't have disagreed.

I agree. Even though I prefer Alice In Chains overall, Nirvana was a great band. In Utero is a fantastic album, whether Nevermind had ever existed or not.

I agree. Even though I prefer Alice In Chains overall, Nirvana was a great band. In Utero is a fantastic album, whether Nevermind had ever existed or not.

Yup, In Utero has plenty of quality tunes. Their MTV Unplugged release was decent too. Yet, I too still prefer Alice in Chains overall.

• Like 1

Bleach, Nevermind and In Utero are three very beloved albums. Before I even got into Nirvana aged fourteen, I remember all the kids had patches of those albums and when I did get into them, everyone already loved those albums.

They were loved. And all three records are outstanding.

I think Alice In Chains are more for fans of a certain type of rock. Nirvana are approachable and less niche.

• Like 1

I actually feel violent angry when people call The Beatles a boy band.

Bleach, Nevermind and In Utero are three very beloved albums. Before I even got into Nirvana aged fourteen, I remember all the kids had patches of those albums and when I did get into them, everyone already loved those albums.

I think Alice In Chains are more for fans of a certain type of rock. Nirvana are approachable and less niche.

I never said that those albums weren't loved by their fans.

That's still more than AiC who seem mostly forgotten now except by old timers

:o

Oh, no you didn't!

:o

Oh, no you didn't!

Oh yes I did

I sorta take it back...sorta...sorrrrta...just the fourteen year old Nirvana fan boy in me is being a little bitch

Kurt was a mean songwriter, which gets overlooked. He had the gift of combining beautiful melody, with heartfelt angst, that millions at the time connected with and still do - no mean feat.

Nevermind changed the musical landscape forever, in its way it was similar to Nevermind the bollox. After Nevermind, alternative music was a viable commodity, gosh I show my age when I say, I remember the separate sidelined independent chart. I think this social impact gets embroiled with the over hype labels, essentially people forget, or were not there to see the changes that album made, culturally, just listening and looking to the music presently instead for Nirvana's greatness.

Nevermind was like a much needed breath of fresh air, for the music industry.

Saying this, AIC are fantastic, so much more depth to them, than Nirvana. I listen to them more now than Nirvana. What can I say, this time(90's) for music was very dear to me. I can't vote, I prefer the Meat puppets :P anyhoo.

What makes you say that?

Their last two albums were meet with generally high praise from fans. They tour a lot and always draw good crowds. Even after the death of Layne the band came back strong and have produced several number one mainstream rock hits. Overall, they've remained very popular.

So, how again have they been forgotten about? :P

What makes you say that?

Their last two albums were meet with generally high praise from fans. They tour a lot and always draw good crowds. Even after the death of Layne the band came back strong and have produced several number one mainstream rock hits. Overall, they've remained very popular.

So, how again have they been forgotten about? :P

COZ I SAAAAAAYS

• Like 1

Interesting thread.

AiC fans: we love the band and the songs.

Nirvana fans: you're wrong.

Pretty much.

But that's what all Nirvana fans say whenever the band is up for discussion. They also like to bring up the huge musical/cultural impact the band had as if anyone is denying that when they say they don't care for them.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

Interesting thread.

Pretty much.

But that's what all Nirvana fans say whenever the band is up for discussion. They also like to bring up the huge musical/cultural impact the band had as if anyone is denying that when they say they don't care for them.

You're wrong

• Like 2

AIC

My first experience with AIC and their music was at a Van Halen concert at the Izod Center, NJ in the early 90's. Depending on the main act, I'm not too motivated to get into the arena early to see the opening band. This night I did and AIC was the opener. I was very impressed.

Jar of Flies in a fantastic listen.

http://youtu.be/zRxqG4Td-9g

Edited by custom55
  • Like 1

Interesting thread.

How so? I did point out I would be surprised if Nirvana got more votes than Alice in Chains on this forum. Did I point out Alice in Chains fans are wrong for being Alice in Chains fans?

• Like 1