Super25Smasher

Radio Disney "rock"

Fallout

Maroon

One Republic

Imagine Dragons

21 Pilots

post Viva La Vida Coldplay

They're doing to rock what Pat Boone and his ilk did to post Elvis and pres Beatles music. Frankly, I'm more disgusted by this than this kiddie millennial pop crap. Rock ain't for wimps and soccer moms. If you can't handle edginess, grit and distortion, don't bother and stick to your Bieber albums. It ain't just politics where neoliberal millennials are too PC. It's happening in arts now and it pisses me off.

I love Maroon 5, 21 Pilots,Imagine Dragons,and Fall Out Boy!

• Like 1

Radio Disney "rock"

Fallout

Maroon

One Republic

Imagine Dragons

21 Pilots

They're doing to rock what Pat Boone and his ilk did to post Elvis and pres Beatles music. Frankly, I'm more disgusted by this than this kiddie millennial pop crap. Rock ain't for wimps and soccer moms. If you can't handle edginess, grit and distortion, don't bother and stick to your Bieber albums. It ain't just politics where neoliberal millennials are too PC. It's happening in arts now and it pisses me off.

I like Imagine Dragons. I don't really care for the others.
  • Like 1

Radio Disney "rock"

Fallout

Maroon

One Republic

Imagine Dragons

21 Pilots

I like Imagine Dragons. I don't really care for the others.

Imagine Dragons suck which makes me OK with you hating Twenty One Pilots.

• Like 1

I'm not sure that I universally dislike every band in some genres, but there are genres where I hate most of it.

The problem is that the boundaries of genre are fluid. I never listed SOAD as Nu Metal, for example.

Because of this I can't readily say I 'hate' that genre when someone proposes a band.

• Like 2

I'm not sure that I universally dislike every band in some genres, but there are genres where I hate most of it.

The problem is that the boundaries of genre are fluid. I never listed SOAD as Nu Metal, for example.

Because of this I can't readily say I 'hate' that genre when someone proposes a band.

I try not to write off entire subgenres. life's too short to only enjoy guitar-based rock music produced between 1967 and 1985

Agreed.

This is the reason I only listed genres which are specific to 1-10 groups each.

Edited by Mr. Not
  • Like 1

I do have to say, I don't think I like any current "indie" band. I like tons of "independent" bands. but as far as stuff like mumford and sons, the decemberists, arcade fire, nah. then again, most of the people who like those bands would say I listen to "sexist/racist/classist oppressive music for republican dads" or some nonsense
  • Like 1

Radio Disney "rock"

Fallout

Maroon

One Republic

Imagine Dragons

21 Pilots

They're talking about Maroon, not Maroon 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5.

Dissecting music into sub genres and then some is like putting a Fig Newton into a snack sub genre. What's the point? Eat it up or not, why the vivisection?

I think it has to do with a relatively small fan base giving itself an exclusive club. This is ours - eff off.

• Like 4

Dissecting music into sub genres and then some is like putting a Fig Newton into a snack sub genre. What's the point? Eat it up or not, why the vivisection?

I think it has to do with a relatively small fan base giving itself an exclusive club. This is ours - eff off.

I see what you mean. Always hated that mentality. What's more public than music? (In western civilization anyway)

Or the pointless arguments of:

A: (insert band name) isn't (insert genre)!

B: Sure they are!

C: Well, they've got elements of (that genre) but also sound a bit (insert another genre) and (insert yet another genre).

A: I don't hear it.

• Like 1

Can we all go back to the days where it was just "I like this music." and "I don't like that music"? :huh:

Probably not, cause there's a lot of people these days who need to categorize subgenres cause the basic rock, metal, etc. labels aren't enough to describe the music it seems. Other times I think subgenres are used to differentiate music scenes from one another.

I try my best to approach music nowadays with just the basic core of the genre of music (i.e. rock, metal, pop, etc.) and use/think of subgenres as more of an afterthought when I want to seek out bands that are similar in style to said band.

Edited by PolarizeMe
  • Like 3

Can we all go back to the days where it was just "I like this music." and "I don't like that music"? :huh:

Probably not, cause there's a lot of people these days who need to categorize subgenres cause the basic rock, metal, etc. labels aren't enough to describe the music it seems. Other times I think subgenres are used to differentiate music scenes from one another.

I try my best to approach music nowadays with just the basic core of the genre of music (i.e. rock, metal, pop, etc.) and use/think of subgenres as more of an afterthought when I want to seek out bands that are similar in style to said band.

From my point of view, it's obvious a lot of limp dick newer bands - and their fans - like to attach labels to this crap, linking to a better, more sincere or hardened era ..

I'm in shock as to the tripe the word "hardcore" is associated with these days ..