Worst Subgenres ever

Super25Smasher

Since nu metal is getting denounced a lot in this thread, I'll defend it a bit.

It's not my favorite genre, but I'd never put it among the worst... It's not bad.

SOAD is widely regarded as nu metal, and I used to absolutely love them. Today I like them, but they're not a band I listen to regularly... Still, I could name every song they've put out, and some which never were released by them (they did a great cover of "Snowblind", by the way)

Here's a couple of SOAD songs which are among my favorites, and they're ones that are not commonly played on the radio, live, etc... So casual listeners may not know of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcHwr7K-2c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXwLxcSniGw

Korn is nu metal as well, and while I've never been big on them, I do enjoy some singles by them, namely "Coming Undone" and "Twisted Transistor"

• Like 1

I'm comforted that no one has mentioned freak folk. That's the only thing that qualifies as a subgenre that hasn't already been mentioned...and I happen to love it!

Devendra Banhart, and Vetiver...maybe even Iron and Wine would qualify, I don't know.

• Like 1

Can we all go back to the days where it was just "I like this music." and "I don't like that music"? :huh:

Probably not, cause there's a lot of people these days who need to categorize subgenres cause the basic rock, metal, etc. labels aren't enough to describe the music it seems. Other times I think subgenres are used to differentiate music scenes from one another.

I try my best to approach music nowadays with just the basic core of the genre of music (i.e. rock, metal, pop, etc.) and use/think of subgenres as more of an afterthought when I want to seek out bands that are similar in style to said band.

From my point of view, it's obvious a lot of limp dick newer bands - and their fans - like to attach labels to this crap, linking to a better, more sincere or hardened era ..

I'm in shock as to the tripe the word "hardcore" is associated with these days ..

Good lord you need to sit down and remind yourself of the tripe you listen too and seek to remind us of every five minutes. You miss he point entirely of what the "post" means in terms of labelling sub genres. Not my fault you like to ridicule people's tastes and favourite bands and expect others to praise your open mind whenever you seek to shock by unleashing a dime a dozen joke of a so called girl band from Korea or Japan who just so happen to be famous for getting out their snatches at every opportunity and "singing" under layers of auto tune.

You keep slating Thrice and an entire scene of music you know nothing about but what you clearly do know a lot about is obviously not worth knowing about to any other person.

Absolute drivel that you keep making out you are so open minded but prove yourself as much an elitist and a snob and an unkind one at that when it comes to disliking something that broke the mould a good twenty years or less ago and helped keep an entire generation alive with new sounds that took flavours from a scene that came before.

These bands are not labelled "hardcore". They stem from an early influence that took over a decade to form a sound today clearly respected and loved. The sound they make now is clearly it's own definite style, hence a new name with a nod to its roots.

Not my fault you skip two decades of rock history just to get your eyes diverted by a bunch of talentless tarts.

And considering the bands you deemed to be "hardcore" in the other thread, you clearly don't know anything about that style either.

But keep on trolling me. You hit a real nerve with Thrice. Well done. Jupiter and Skull Daze are absolute crud.

Lost all respect for you after this constant baiting.

Like you said: "From my point of view, it's obvious a lot of limp dick newer bands - and their fans - like to attach labels to this crap."

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Can we all go back to the days where it was just "I like this music." and "I don't like that music"? :huh:

Probably not, cause there's a lot of people these days who need to categorize subgenres cause the basic rock, metal, etc. labels aren't enough to describe the music it seems. Other times I think subgenres are used to differentiate music scenes from one another.

I try my best to approach music nowadays with just the basic core of the genre of music (i.e. rock, metal, pop, etc.) and use/think of subgenres as more of an afterthought when I want to seek out bands that are similar in style to said band.

From my point of view, it's obvious a lot of limp dick newer bands - and their fans - like to attach labels to this crap, linking to a better, more sincere or hardened era ..

I'm in shock as to the tripe the word "hardcore" is associated with these days ..

Good lord you need to sit down and remind yourself of the tripe you listen too and seek to remind us of every five minutes. You miss he point entirely of what the "post" means in terms of labelling sub genres. Not my fault you like to ridicule people's tastes and favourite bands and expect others to praise your open mind whenever you seek to shock by unleashing a dime a dozen joke of a so called girl band from Korea or Japan who just so happen to be famous for getting out their snatches at every opportunity and "singing" under layers of auto tune.

You keep slating Thrice and an entire scene of music you know nothing about but what you clearly do know a lot about is obviously not worth knowing about to any other person.

Absolute drivel that you keep making out you are so open minded but prove yourself as much an elitist and a snob and an unkind one at that when it comes to disliking something that broke the mould a good twenty years or less ago and helped keep an entire generation alive with new sounds that took flavours from a scene that came before.

These bands are not labelled "hardcore". They stem from an early influence that took over a decade to form a sound today clearly respected and loved. The sound they make now is clearly it's own definite style, hence a new name with a nod to its roots.

Not my fault you skip two decades of rock history just to get your eyes diverted by a bunch of talentless tarts.

And considering the bands you deemed to be "hardcore" in the other thread, you clearly don't know anything about that style either.

But keep on trolling me. You hit a real nerve with Thrice. Well done. Jupiter and Skull Daze are absolute crud.

Lost all respect for you after this constant baiting.

Like you said: "From my point of view, it's obvious a lot of limp dick newer bands - and their fans - like to attach labels to this crap."

Segue, I cannot even read your bipolar shit

This isn't about taste, it's about labels

Nu Metal

Hair Metal

Certain airy vapid pop rock that has "oh oh oh" or "ohwooooahoh oh" in the chorus

Dubstep

Djent (some of it)

Modern country that sounds like a bad rock band

House/Dance/EDM whatever

Screamo

Some Post-Grunge

HAIR METAL RULES!!!!!!!

DON'T JUDGE A BOOK BY IT'S COVER!!!!!

HAIR METAL IS MELODIC COCK ROCK!!!!!

LOVE IT!!!

• Like 2

Nu Metal

Hair Metal

Certain airy vapid pop rock that has "oh oh oh" or "ohwooooahoh oh" in the chorus

Dubstep

Djent (some of it)

Modern country that sounds like a bad rock band

House/Dance/EDM whatever

Screamo

Some Post-Grunge

HAIR METAL RULES!!!!!!!

DON'T JUDGE A BOOK BY IT'S COVER!!!!!

HAIR METAL IS MELODIC COCK ROCK!!!!!

LOVE IT!!!

How many times have you seen Steel Panther in concert? More than 10 times? 20? 30?

K-pop

Oh my lord agreed

Some k and j-rock bands are awesome though

• Like 1

K-pop

I like k-pop tbh.

I do hate dubstep,house,dance,edm,trance,techno,crunk core,death metal,doom metal,country pop, happy hardcore,trap,r&b,soul,funk,disco,and rap.

Yeah those genres are pretty terrible. Especially Crunkcore and Happy Hardcore.
  • Like 2