Alex says, "Rush Can't Just Stop"

Ron2112

If dead and company can forge on without jerry and phil then its easy to see that rush can too.

Or just bring in another drummer and let neil play the bongos and smoke joints.

Maybe, just maybe Neil has been waiting his whole life to pull a phil collins on ged.

I think perhaps neil feels the time is right to embrace the front man inside of him and become the new lead vocalist.

Neil sing? It would probably sound like this:

I really don't give a shit anymore if I get a ton of hate. Can these two PLEASE go on tour with a different drummer? Granted it won't be Rush but it would at least be something....Hell, "New World Men" could definitely work as a title for the project.

Last tour I saw them was Snakes. Ged's voice is gone in my opinion. I can not even listen to anything in the upper registers live since that era.

• Like 1

Misleading title. Alex never says "Rush can't stop"; he says "we" meaning Geddy and himself. He is clearly not speaking for Neil.

If they still truly want to be active musicians, I don't understand what they're waiting around for. Neil has made it clear he's done. Rush as that trio is over. They're already almost senior citizens. Decide on a direction and get started. I'd almost rather hear no news than these useless kind of quotes again and again.

• Like 2

Misleading title. Alex never says "Rush can't stop"; he says "we" meaning Geddy and himself. He is clearly not speaking for Neil.

If they still truly want to be active musicians, I don't understand what they're waiting around for. Neil has made it clear he's done. Rush as that trio is over. They're already almost senior citizens. Decide on a direction and get started. I'd almost rather hear no news than these useless kind of quotes again and again.

I guess you haven't seen the Rik Emmett thread...because one of them isn't "waiting around"

I guess you haven't seen the Rik Emmett thread...because one of them isn't "waiting around"

That's great and I'm looking forward to it, but it's still a guest appearance and not a project of his/their own. I get the sense they're still waiting around to see if Neil changes his mind, which is just wasting valuable time at their age.

That's great and I'm looking forward to it, but it's still a guest appearance and not a project of his/their own. I get the sense they're still waiting around to see if Neil changes his mind, which is just wasting valuable time at their age.

Ok, you're thinking their own project. I was just thinking about not sitting around waiting...which having a guest appearance on a track or few on Rik's album isn't

I'm okay with Rush being retired. I think it'd be cool if they tried to make new studio-only material though. But I'm not expecting it.

If Ged and/or Alex want to go and record and perform, more power to them, but without the three of them, it won't be Rush. They could cover some Rush though.

What do you call the album they did before Fly By Night? What do you call the band for that album?

I'm just busting your balls. But at the same time, did Rutsey actually not exist? Did that debut album not exist?

Look at the sports franchise the Toronto Maple Leafs. They weren't always the Maple Leafs, originally they were the Toronto Arenas, then the St. Patricks. After a very brief existence with those names, they renamed as the Maple Leafs and stayed that way for 90 years now.

Back in 1927, when they rebranded themselves, there wasn't the enormous history and recognition with that name.

Now though, if the Maple Leafs tried to change their brand or public image, it'd be wildly unpopular. It's unimaginable.

Rush's original image may not have been with Peart, but he's been a part of the brand for long enough that the two are now inseparable. A rebranding would be unrecognizable, and lose its novelty, whether or not its in its original form.

Edited by New World Kid
  • Like 1

I'm okay with Rush being retired. I think it'd be cool if they tried to make new studio-only material though. But I'm not expecting it.

If Ged and/or Alex want to go and record and perform, more power to them, but without the three of them, it won't be Rush. They could cover some Rush though.

What do you call the album they did before Fly By Night? What do you call the band for that album?

I'm just busting your balls. But at the same time, did Rutsey actually not exist? Did that debut album not exist?

Look at the sports franchise the Toronto Maple Leafs. They weren't always the Maple Leafs, originally they were the Toronto Arenas, then the St. Patricks. After a very brief existence with those names, they renamed as the Maple Leafs and stayed that way for 90 years now.

Back in 1927, when they rebranded themselves, there wasn't the enormous history and recognition with that name.

Now though, if the Maple Leafs tried to change their brand or public image, it'd be wildly unpopular. It's unimaginable.

Rush's original image may not have been with Peart, but he's been a part of the brand for long enough that the two are now inseparable. A rebranding would be unrecognizable, and lose its novelty, whether or not its in its original form.

Did you not read the first sentence of my second paragraph?

And you're comparing a band to a pro team that's been in existence around 100 years with a never ending cycle of changing players. But ok, sports....What about the Raiders in the NFL? Those are some die hard fans. Oakland? L.A.? Oakland? L.A.? Has that mattered all that much? Did Raiders fans give up watching because they moved? And then again?

I'd bet all kinds of money that every TRFer here would buy the next Rush album regardless if Peart was on it. Even the cheap bastards would download and download and download. But we'd all listen to it. Additionally, I'd bet that every TRFer (that could get to a gig and afford it + didn't think Geddy's voice is shot) would see them live regardless of Peart. Most would bitch about SOMETHING but we'd all dish out the dough.

• Like 1

I would at least get the album, but a tour would depend on ticket prices. R40 was the first time I made the choice to get a less expensive seat than what I first pulled up on ticketbastard. I also only went to 1 show as opposed to 2 or 3 Luke normal. The NY and NJ prices were ridiculous. $100 more for a comparable seat than Boston.

I would at least get the album, but a tour would depend on ticket prices. R40 was the first time I made the choice to get a less expensive seat than what I first pulled up on ticketbastard. I also only went to 1 show as opposed to 2 or 3 Luke normal. The NY and NJ prices were ridiculous. $100 more for a comparable seat than Boston.

Who's Luke Normal? Not you surely T2... ;)

Who's Luke Normal? Not you surely T2... ;)

Luke has a sister named Abby. Abby Normal.

ar128637313070928.png

Edited by Blue J

And you're comparing a band to a pro team that's been in existence around 100 years with a never ending cycle of changing players. But ok, sports....What about the Raiders in the NFL? Those are some die hard fans. Oakland? L.A.? Oakland? L.A.? Has that mattered all that much? Did Raiders fans give up watching because they moved? And then again?

I'd bet all kinds of money that every TRFer here would buy the next Rush album regardless if Peart was on it. Even the cheap bastards would download and download and download. But we'd all listen to it. Additionally, I'd bet that every TRFer (that could get to a gig and afford it + didn't think Geddy's voice is shot) would see them live regardless of Peart. Most would bitch about SOMETHING but we'd all dish out the dough.

I read your first sentence of your second paragraph. I wasn't meaning to be combative, just conversational. But I also realize that there are those floating around this board who aren't okay with Rush's current status, and are quite upset about Peart's retirement.

My point about the sports teams was branding. If the branding has been successful, you can't change the branding and expect a positive response.

• Like 1

Rush are done.

Lifeson and Lee maybe not.

End of.

Let's make it interesting. $20 says they (Lee, Lifeson and Peart) are not done, and within one year from today, we will have an album and/or tour announcement.

• Like 1

I just really want to see Alex and Geddy play together again. I'd love for it to be full-on Rush with Neil along, but I honestly don't really care all that much at this point. It has occurred to me that without Neil there might be an essential spark missing that would result in whatever Alex and Geddy did together being less than exceptional, but those two have my open mind and the benefit of my doubt all the way. And I hope they carry on making music together even if I don't care very much for their output, because with what their partnership represents to me, the idea of them not wanting to make music together anymore is too painful to bear.
  • Like 3

Rush are done.

Lifeson and Lee maybe not.

End of.

Let's make it interesting. $20 says they (Lee, Lifeson and Peart) are not done, and within one year from today, we will have an album and/or tour announcement.

I would categorically bet against a tour. A new album...ehhmm...12 months from today? Yeah, I'll take the bet on that front, too.

Setting my calendar to revisit this thread on September 22, 2017. ;)

:cheers:

I would not see :rush: live if Neil was not there