Victor, Why All Of The Hate?

Permanent-Rush

Even though Victor is about a guy who has mental issues and kills his wife, it Is still a great album IMO.

That's the key phrase, IMO. Get used to others having different opinions than yours because that's how life is. People explained in your other thread why they didn't care for it as much as Geddy's album, so why start another thread here just because your opinion is different than others?

• Like 2

Some more perspective I've just learned. According to her profile page, Surrender is only FIFTEEN! You're debating with a teenage girl folks. This is coming to mind....

Not all 15 year olds are bubble-headed morons. I have a 12 year old stepdaughter who could probably hold her own with a lot of adults when discussing certain topics.

There are other teenagers on this forum who are mature and well-spoken, and if they had never announced their age we would never know they were teens.

I have wondered many times if S74 is actually 15 since she acts much younger.

• Like 1

Some more perspective I've just learned. According to her profile page, Surrender is only FIFTEEN! You're debating with a teenage girl folks. This is coming to mind....

Not all 15 year olds are bubble-headed morons. I have a 12 year old stepdaughter who could probably hold her own with a lot of adults when discussing certain topics.

There are other teenagers on this forum who are mature and well-spoken, and if they had never announced their age we would never know they were teens.

She can't be all bad - she likes Rush, right?

I agree that a person should understand that others have opinions you may not share yourself and you have to accept that. But maybe she is just trying to get to the heart of the matter and understand why more clearly? Just trying to see both sides here, because I have found the discussion of their solo albums interesting.

• Like 2

I agree that a person should understand that others have opinions you may not share yourself and you have to accept that. But maybe she is just trying to get to the heart of the matter and understand why more clearly? Just trying to see both sides here, because I have found the discussion of their solo albums interesting.

Well, she was told why in the other thread but it didn't matter. It also didn't matter about the positive or neutral comments either.

• Like 1

You got it.

• Like 1

So young people aren't allowed to voice their opinions? So what if Surrender is 15? she's a Rush fan, she's a member of this board, she should be able to voice her opinion.

• Like 4

You got it.

Why are you looking for explanations of such a subjective topic? Victor, MFH, and just about any other western music album is a combination of percussion and various arrangements of 13 notes or less. Just because someone has made a lot of music I liked, is no guarantee that he'll continue to do so. Why on Earth are you upset enough to start a whole thread about it?

You know who I'm going to see next week? The Proclaimers. The Scottish twins who were one-hit wonders in America over 20 years ago. I could not care less if everyone here ridiculed it and I was banned from every Rush board in existence. I'm still going, I'm gonna meet them and I'm gonna have a blast. Stop wasting your time caring about what others think.

• Like 1

it honestly sounds like an album made drunk and on a bet, lol

And yes i like Alex so shut up.

Mick

Probably a combination of ecstasy and Tool albums.

that's so funny you mentioned tool.

cause i hate them a lot.

lol....it makes sense.

Mick

• Like 3

March 1996 Metronome Magazine:

METRONOME: Why did you record this album when you're still the member of such a successful band?

Rush works in a certain way, and I think that after so long we've established a pattern that we don't deviate from very much. I've always loved what we've done as a band, but at the same time, when you work with other people, there's always compromise involved. It's the same thing for each of the other guys too; it's a compromise for everyone.

Over the years I've learned that If I do hear something in my head in a complete version, I needed to find another outlet for it. I have a much better understanding of that after getting all this music out of my system and hearing it exactly the way I always heard it. I feel much more balanced in terms of where I want to go with Rush now, or where I think Rush should go.

That is where I think Victor influenced VT.

I set out to make a record that was disturbing, that was going to cause people to ask me questions. I wanted it to cause me to think, which was really putting me in an unfamiliar situation. This wasn't meant to be a showcase for my abilities as a guitarist. The challenge I was looking for was in writing songs.

I wanted to make an emotional statement. I didn't want to make a record that would typically be made by someone like me, from a band like Rush where you'd expect 50 minutes of all this textural guitar stuff and wailing away. I really wanted to downplay that.

There is also this little tidbit I never knew ... I always assumed Neil wrote the lyrics to this song ... of course he seems to be forgetting "Lessons" and "Chemistry"...

METRONOME: Have you ever written lyrics before?

The last thing I wrote was "Making Memories" which showed up on Rush's second album. I hadn't even tried it in 18 years! I found that I once I got the first couple of lines down, it just started flowing out.

And from another interview from that period, July 1996, from Paulsemel.com, discussing Test for Echo:

When Ged and I first got together, that first week was really rough. I really wasn’t sure if I wanted to do it anymore. We went to the same place to write, the set-up was all the same, but having the experience of doing my own album was so fresh, and to be in control was a new experience for me, so that first week Ged and I…I think we spent three-quarters of our work time just talking. We’d sit outside and talk for hours about a lot of different things: how we’re developing as people, what interests us, what’s becoming important, how our priorities are shifting. We kind of left it at, “let’s see how the first couple of weeks go and if it’s not there we won’t do it.” We’ve always said that if the spark was gone then that’s when we’re going to stop, we’re not going to milk it. And the following week we wrote five songs. We came back in so pumped.

Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 2

I anyone remembers a song called Freewill, it's about choices

So when someone posts a thread with the subject made very clear in the title, we all have the choice to click on it

A lot of us - myself being one of the most vocal - expressed some opinions to Surrender when she gave herself that self congratulatory thread - the consensus being that Surrender should stop the SPAM and post more band-related and music related things ..

She obviously loves Alex, and for the sake of conversation, starts this thread

So what ??

If you don't want to talk about Victor, start you own *** damn thread about something else

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 2

Alex has had the biggest influence on my own playing bar none.

His solo album?

Meh. It was a let down.

Some interesting riffs and a few cool tunes. But Geddy's effort destroyed this thing. I feel like this is a really well polished demo of ideas slapped together.

• Like 2